General boxing thread

EddieG

Genuinely baffling. Nobody in Glasgow that I know is saying Taylor won. Just absolutely baffling. I've just seen the post-match stats as well and it's even more stunning. Surely someone is losing their jobs over this.

Taylor - Catterall

255 Thrown 357
85 Landed 166
33 % 46

I feel like this is the classiest possible way of saying "that was bullshit":

• 1 month later...

I was listening on the radio and it sounded like an exciting fight. It's not always easy to gauge based on radio commentary, but it sounded as though Taylor just about deserved to take the victory. A rematch in Ireland could draw a big crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

Amir Khan has retired. He's only 35, but he's an "old" 35 by boxing standards because he's been in the professional ranks for 18 years and taken plenty of big punches.

While he's had a very good career, I often think about what might have been if he'd been more tactically sound and had a better chin. His hand speed was quite astonishing at times, but he was always in big trouble when he got caught with even a mildly potent shot. Combine that with a tendency to employ gung-ho tactics when technical boxing was working just fine and you had a constant recipe for disaster.

But those flaws made him very exciting to watch. He's made plenty of money and picked up some good wins over his career.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Jeez I've just seen the post match stuff with Joshua. 

I assumed based of the two clips hat he'd won. Then it's like oh he got beat. Does not come across well in either of them. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Sounds like a comfortable win for AJ, but not a performance that should worry the rest of the division. A fight with Fury would still make a mountain of cash, even without the added appeal of the undisputed championship, but I think AJ would be the definite underdog.

• 4 months later...