General boxing thread

EddieG

22 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

A lot of people might be more interested in the Tyson/Jones Jr. fight, but there's also a potentially great match between Daniel Dubois and Joe Joyce tonight. Both are undefeated British heavyweight prospects, Joyce winning a silver medal at the 2016 Olympics, and it's quite surprising that they're fighting each other at this stage of their careers. The winner could well be right in the world title picture.

It's on BT Sport, but it isn't a Pay-Per-View.

Joyce did well to win, though I don't really know what he offers the division going forward. Between age and lack of speed, he'll get ripped to shreds by any of the big name heavyweights.

Lots of outrage about the Paul/Robinson match and how these celebrity bouts are going to end up with someone getting seriously hurt, or that it's a stain on the character of boxing to allow complete novices to get licenced so easily.

Both are of course true, but the most truest part of this is that money is always going to be more important than either of those issues.

The "integrity" of boxing I feel was lost well over a century ago. Sure there's a legitimate sport there and hard-working athletes but it is one of gambling's oldest institutions and with it carries that kind of baggage. Money is the definitive end goal of the sport as opposed to it just being the end point if that makes sense.

Celebrity bouts are fucking idiotic, so are men in their 50s being allowed to smash each other's heads in. But when you involve yourself with promoting boxing you don't think about that all you think about are dollars and cents. It's one of the reasons I think MMA felt so refreshing at first because it seemed like a legitimate sport without the perversion caused by money. That's been out the window for years and years now of course.

At the end of the day I'll just enjoy the good boxing that happens before boxers reach a level of celebrity where their bouts go from sporting events to entertainment spectacles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Joyce did well to win, though I don't really know what he offers the division going forward. Between age and lack of speed, he'll get ripped to shreds by any of the big name heavyweights.

I think I agree. I didn't see much for the likes of Usyk, Fury, Joshua or even Wilder to fear. At the age of 35, he's probably not going to make great strides to improve either.

I also think that people are being harsh on Dubois for quitting. Taking a knee once he suffered the eye injury was wise, in my opinion. Fighting with one eye is never a good idea, and we've seen recently how a similar injury helped derail Kell Brook's career. Saving yourself from long-term damage in exchange for a defeat as a 23-year-old is the best move to make.

22 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I think I agree. I didn't see much for the likes of Usyk, Fury, Joshua or even Wilder to fear. At the age of 35, he's probably not going to make great strides to improve either.

Fight with David Price incoming...

I imagine any such fight will be a contrived affair designed to make both fighters look competitive. Mayweather will be happy to dance around for a few rounds in exchange for a payday so that Paul can claim he was on a similar level. Unfortunately, I think the best chance you'd have of seeing Paul taking a beating would be from another Youtube idiot, and even that's probably unlikely.

In other knobhead-related news, Billy Joe Saunders fights this weekend against Martin Murray, who's aiming for a world title at the fifth attempt. Saunders wants a fight with Canelo next, so it would be extra satisfying if he somehow lost this one.

Floyd Mayweather is fighting Logan Paul in February. This sport is done.

On 04/12/2020 at 01:12, MadJack said:

Bold prediction time: After finding an athletics commission shameless enough to allow a fight by the two to go ahead (looking at you Nevada), Jake Paul will fight Floyd Mayweather at some point in the next two to three years.

So, so close.