General boxing thread

EddieG

51 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Was the purse really that small? I thought this was a massive Pay-Per-View event.

No idea. Maybe Matchbox didn't have too much faith that it'd generate as much as the last one? Last one had $11 million in ppv buys, plus enough illegal twitch streams to miss out on another $12 million. Putting it on Sky Box Office and DAZN (pronounced Dazone apparently?) probably means it won't, but I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not the most exciting of fights but Joshua fought smart and fought right. Just outboxed Ruiz. Nothing flashy and nothing exciting but dominant 

He could beat Wilder if he boxed intelligently. As long as he didn't go for bravado and engage toe-to-toe, he'd have a good chance of outpointing Wilder. As for Fury, it's his awkwardness that causes the most problems. I don't think AJ's work rate is any lower than Fury's, and his conditioning is usually better too. Of the three, AJ might have the worst chin, but he's also probably the best pure boxer.

In any case, Usyk is a potentially big player who not enough people are mentioning right now. He could well be AJ's next opponent, and I think he'll be a massive threat to everyone in the division. He was a very powerful and technically proficient Cruiserweight and is tactically smart too.

Wilder is an enigma in that he has legit one punch knockout power. He was behind on points against Ortiz in the last fight. I think Fury wins in the rematch (thought he won the last fight despite the knockdown) and I think if AJ fights the perfect fight tactically he would beat Wilder too but I don't think he would get up if Wilder catches him 

Fury is the top dog at Heavyweight. He's such a good boxer and a very awkward one to fight. 

I echo the thoughts on Usyk. I wouldn't be surprised if he excels at Heavyweight at the expense of any of the three mentioned, he's such a well rounded fighter. I'm sure he's mandatory challenger for one of the belts and i think Pulev is another. There's also Whyte who may be another option for AJ

• 3 weeks later...