General boxing thread

EddieG

I've been reading some interesting debates about the idea of announcing updated scorecards at the end of each round. It's been tried before occasionally, but it proved to be unpopular on the grounds that it eliminated some of the drama, although I still wonder whether there might be room for it in some capacity.

I think a good fix would be to go to 5 judges, with the 2 new judges watching on TV. They'd have to get a direct feed that doesn't show replays or commentary, but I think changing their perspective would allow them to see the fight better.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In case anyone didn't know, Errol Spence Jr. vs Mikey Garcia will be live on ITV 4 in the early hours of Sunday morning. That's a massive fight between two undefeated boxers ranked in the top ten of Ring Magazine's pound-for-pound rankings, and it's free to watch in the UK.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Jarrell Miller has been denied a licence to fight Anthony Joshua is New York after an "adverse finding" came up in a drugs test. That could make AJ's US debut a damp squib.

Also, Amir Khan's fight with Terence Crawford is this weekend. I don't see anything other than a Crawford stoppage, but Khan fights are usually entertaining, so I'll definitely give it a listen.

Just now, Bobfoc said:

Jarrell Miller has been denied a licence to fight Anthony Joshua is New York after an "adverse finding" came up in a drugs test. That could make AJ's US debut a damp squib. 

And I think Miller had previously accused AJ of doping, so that makes this slightly funnier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Felt like Joshua massively underestimated Ruiz and didn't come in with much a game plan.

I don't know if it was just the hammering he was taking or if he didn't train hard, but AJ was absolutely gassed there. He looked helpless at the end and I think the ref was right to stop it.