General boxing thread

EddieG

Just now, Liam said:

I'm just guessing, but surely that type of thing is done via algorithm? If lots of people are viewing/commenting, it gets pushed up a website's list.

You'd think so, but you get 36,000 view videos of two white girls talking about dating at number 3 on trending so I feel like there's some user input there.

YouTube's "learning algorithm" in general is shit.

Just now, MexicoJack said:

You'd think so, but you get 36,000 view videos of two white girls talking about dating at number 3 on trending so I feel like there's some user input there.

YouTube's "learning algorithm" in general is shit.

Isn't Twitter's trending to do with increase in commenting/hashtagging over a period of time rather than being the most? Might work the same with Youtube perhaps, otherwise you'd just end up with the same videos at the top.

Just now, Liam said:

Isn't Twitter's trending to do with increase in commenting/hashtagging over a period of time rather than being the most? Might work the same with Youtube perhaps, otherwise you'd just end up with the same videos at the top.

Possibly, I'm not sure. YouTube also suppress a lot of content but no one's quite sure what exactly. Philip DeFranco did an experiment on his channel this week by putting out three separate  videos of content he expected to get suppressed or demonitised but the results just caused more confusion (first like 4 minutes of that video).

The KSI vs Logan Paul event did at least 1 million total buys, although some outlets are reporting as many as 5 million but that seems to based off of the numbers on the live stream/event preview video that plays where you can choose to pay for it, so I doubt it. If it is the latter figure that makes it the 5th largest boxing ppv event of all time, and factoring in the estimated 1.2 million illegal streams would make it the third largest boxing PPV event of all time (this assumes figures for the other events above it had no significant numbers of pirated streams, which is unlikely), only behind Ali - Frazier III and the Rumble in the Jungle.

I realise it's a matter of market forces, but I'd still be annoyed if I'd dedicated years to a sport and ascended to the top of my weight class, only for two idiots on Youtube to make way more money than me to fight. It would be like Louis Tomlinson getting paid Messi-level wages when he signed for Doncaster Rovers.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I realise it's a matter of market forces, but I'd still be annoyed if I'd dedicated years to a sport and ascended to the top of my weight class, only for two idiots on Youtube to make way more money than me to fight. It would be like Louis Tomlinson getting paid Messi-level wages when he signed for Doncaster Rovers.

Understandable, but I feel like this is only going to keep happening. The UFC is rumoured to looking into how seriously Logan Paul's desire to move into MMA full time is and KSI's trainer, the former Team GB boxer Viddal Riley has now turned pro and signed with Jeff Mayweather, more events like this I assume are going to take place. The rematch in the US might do even bigger numbers.

22 minutes ago, MexicoJack said:

Understandable, but I feel like this is only going to keep happening. The UFC is rumoured to looking into how seriously Logan Paul's desire to move into MMA full time is and KSI's trainer, the former Team GB boxer Viddal Riley has now turned pro and signed with Jeff Mayweather, more events like this I assume are going to take place. The rematch in the US might do even bigger numbers.

I agree that it's probably going to be a growing trend over the next few years. I can see celebrity boxing effectively becoming its own sport, with "serious" (and that's a term I use loosely, given that it's full of politics and heavily slanted towards the brasher competitors) boxing keeping the more traditional fans. I'll be in the latter camp because I'm keener on boxing skill than manufactured grudge matches, but celebrity boxing will probably make more money in most cases.

Maybe it'll fizzle out when the novelty wears off, especially as they're primarily courting people who aren't normally boxing fans, and that's a difficult market to sustain long-term.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an argument with someone on Twitter, so I want to check I'm not going mental. I'm going to use a word to describe Amir Khan, and I just want people to let me know whether it is a fair judgement or not.

Chinny.

I'm fairly sure that has been the narrative of his whole career.

• Like 1

I don't think that's an unfair thing to say at all. He's been knocked down several times in his career, half of his losses were straight knockout with the another one being a tko.

However...he's a weird one to explain. He can take a punch, and has withstood a lot of shots from big hitters but the fact his offense is based on his speed and throwing a flurry of punches, he doesn't have the defensive prowess to go with that style of fighting when coming up against certain type of fighters who will punish him because of it such as Danny Garcia. 

So I do think you're right but there's more to it then when people think he simply has the old glass jaw. Chinny is a fair comment. Also echo the fact that I personally don't like him as a person. 

And I think he needs to stop ducking Kell Brook as it's the only fight that makes sense for either fighter and will be a big payday for both fighters. 

Plenty of the people who have knocked Khan down in his career didn't have a reputation of being big hitters. When his tactic has almost always been to stand and trade, rather than use his speed and accuracy to punch and move, he's left himself vulnerable to shots he can't always take. The Maidana fight was the only time I can remember him withstanding big punches throughout a twelve-round fight, and even then, he was rocked a couple of times.

Khan will never admit it, but he just doesn't have the one-punch power to engage in slugfests. He's been able to overwhelm lesser opponents with his flurries, but he's never been able to land a killer blow that puts his opponent down in an instant. That shouldn't be a problem because, after all, neither did Floyd Mayweather, but the big different was that Mayweather was much more tactically astute and focused on his defence and counter-punching. It's entirely possible that he, too, didn't have a great chin, but we never found out because he so rarely got hit with a significant shot.