General boxing thread

EddieG

• 3 weeks later...

https://deadspin.com/olympic-boxing-is-in-a-mess-of-trouble-1830779882

Part of the IOC’s issues with AIBA stems from its recent election of Gafur Rakhimov from Uzbekistan as president. Rakhimov is described by the U.S. Treasury Department as a “key member and associate of a transnational organized criminal network.” When I started writing this post and googled Rakhimov like the professional journalist I am, I couldn’t help but notice that the first autofill option was “Interpol.” The fourth autofill suggestion is “Boxing.”

Though the IOC was openly opposed to Rakhimov becoming head of AIBA, he was elected president earlier this month in Moscow under circumstances that are ludicrous even by Olympic standards.

From the Guardian:

Rakhimov was elected on Saturday after defeating his sole rival, Serik Konakbayev, by 86 votes to 48. But only after the electronic system had refused to work and Aiba was force to construct a makeshift voting booth made with tables stacked together and covered with sheets. To make matters worse, ballot papers needed to be put into a cardboard box with the logo of the French gardening company Leroy Merlin on it.

It sounded on the 5 Live radio commentary that there were several close rounds. Couple that with home town bias (from which British fighters have benefited on several occasions) and promoters' vested interest in a rematch and a draw makes sense. A second fight at Wembley would be huge.

Something I wonder about now is Anthony Joshua's planned fight at Wembley. The winner of Wilder/Fury looked likely, but perhaps now he could take on the winner of Whyte/Chisora. That would be a lower profile affair on the international stage, but AJ's such a big draw that he can more or less fill out Wembley against anyone. Add the domestic fight appeal and you've got another nice pay day.

Fury won the fight. However, the knockdowns effectively cost him.

He probably won 9 out of the 10 rounds which he wasn't knocked down in.

It isn't the worst robbery, but I can't see how it could have gone Wilder's way.

Fury getting off of the canvas in the 12th was bloody amazing though. Thought that was it.

38 minutes ago, Liam said:

Fury getting off of the canvas in the 12th was bloody amazing though. Thought that was it.

I saw the clip of that. Its like he was resurrected from the shadow realm, no idea how he got up.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

Fury won the fight. However, the knockdowns effectively cost him.

He probably won 9 out of the 10 rounds which he wasn't knocked down in.

It isn't the worst robbery, but I can't see how it could have gone Wilder's way.

Pretty much agree with everything you've said. I can't see how one judge scored it 115-111 for Wilder like thats my only criticism but the knockdowns were crucial. 

I honestly don't get how he got up from the shot. It was like the Undertaker just rising up like "I'm alright"

I don't agree with his views on a lot of things but I can admire how much over the last two years he's battled through his personal issues to get back to here. Especially being so open about his mental health which is a big thing in itself but especially as a traveller that must have took some balls