General boxing thread

EddieG

Got no interest in a third fight.

The first left enough controversy to warrant a second fight which ended up being a definitive result. As excuses go, that's up there with David Haye and his toe. 

They'll have made a bucket load of cash as the 2nd match was the most anticipated heavyweight fight in years but I can't see them making anywhere near as much for a 3rd fight. 

Not to take away from Fury's performance, but I've come across some nonsense on mainstream sites and radio stations over the last few days calling him one of the all-time greats and comparing him to Muhammad Ali. Fury's beaten two big names. Hearing pundits calling him the greatest British sportsperson ever is mad at this stage.

Everyone also seems to take for granted that Fury would beat Wilder again. Yes, he'd start as favourite, but a fully swinging Wilder against a lax, complacent Fury could be a different prospect. Never count your chickens before they're hatched in heavyweight boxing.

Yes, it is.

And just for making that pathetic excuse that no one in their right mind is buying,  I hope Fury knocks him Wilder out in the third fight. And I don't mean another TKO. Who does Wilder think he is with that garbage? Tito Ortiz?

*edited to add* Also, there was no ruptured ear drum, as previously believed. Just a cut that required 7 stitches.

Edited by GhostMachine

And another thing: it's quite insulting to brush off Fury's comments about transgender people being comparable to those who engage in bestiality, homosexuals being paedophiles and Jewish people owning all the banks and brainwashing the population as being symptoms of mental health issues. If you're really going to paint Fury as some sort of mental health messiah, don't use it as a means of dismissing his own deliberate choice of words.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can't get behind Fury for the many, many reasons stated in this thread, but his victory did bring me some joy after hearing every American sports show talk about how it would be a walkover for Wilder and that Fury had no chance.

They did a predictions video for ESPN where about 15 sports analysts were asked and every single one said Wilder by KO, except for one person picking Fury, the only one who actually knows something about combat sports; Ariel Helwani.

I admire his talents and his technique and the tactical side of finding ways to win. 

The statements he has made previously is deplorable and down right disgusting. There's no excuses for it and I don't condone it or agree with it whatsoever. Even saying it's because I was mentally unwell I don't agree with. I've had issues with my mental health before I've never been racist, homophobic, bigoted etc as a result of it. 

I think it's a dangerous narrative to be spreading. People are waving away homophobia, transphobia, anti-Semitism and misogyny as a side effect of depression, which is not a good message to other sufferers at all. Depression needs to be taken seriously, of course, but it should never be used as a "Get out of Jail Free" card for bad behaviour. Depression may have many symptoms, but it can't be used as an excuse when someone says or does something offensive.

Ultimately, it's an issue that the boxing community has been all too willing to spin to its own benefit. Just as Floyd Mayweather's domestic abuse episodes were commonly dismissed as "scuffles" in the boxing press, Fury's comments get shrugged off by pundits as being a mere incidental part of a grand story of redemption. In the BBC's follow-up podcast to the fight, Steve Bunce was talking about how unfair it was that Gary Lineker asked him about his comments at the Sports Personality of the Year Award show. I just think that's an ignorant reaction. We can celebrate his boxing achievements and scrutinise his public behaviour at the same time.

• Like 6

Wilder has had his excuse debunked and is now shown as a liar amongst his loss. His legs didn't give out as he said.

An old interview came out with him saying he does alot of training especially sprints and stuff with a 45 pound weighted vest to challenge himself more. Also a clip apparently of him training for the second Fury fight appeared showing him with a weighted vest as well. Talk about trying to hide that you just cant admit you were beat even if your team didnt listen to you properly.

Multiple sources confirmed to Yahoo Sports that while digital sales were well above expectations, cable and satellite sales figures were well lower than anticipated, which resulted in a sales figure of between 800,000 and 850,000 pay-per-views. That is 25 percent lower than the reported break-even mark of 1.2 million.

The main culprit is theft of the signal. According to Wayne Lonstein of VFT Solutions, which tracks signal piracy, there were between 10 and 20 million live views of the fight on the major social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook, and there were nearly 10 million more that were viewed as video on demand. Many of those latter views were only slightly delayed.

Many bars and restaurants also illegally accessed the figures. Those thefts not only cost the promoters and networks distributing the event, but it also takes money directly out of the fighters’ pockets. Wilder and Fury were each guaranteed $5 million for the rematch, which Fury won by seventh-round TKO. They also shared in the pay-per-view revenues, which were dramatically lower because of the proliferation of piracy.

From yahoo sports.

The companies only have themselves to blame. Judging by the quoted numbers (and I've never seen anyone stream stuff on FB and Twitter, so they're probably not even counting the ways I stream content), they're pricing 95% of the audience out of buying the PPV. If you halve the price and sell three times as much, you make more money.

• Like 1