General boxing thread

EddieG

More than anything, im glad to see Hearn and his shoddy company have a bad night. I actually like AJ but hate how his career has been managed.

Also his game plan was shocking, brawling with a brawler is just arrogance, or may be stupidity, probably both.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MDK said:

Katie Taylor became undisputed lightweight champ though

Although a lot of pundits thought she got very lucky with the judges' decision.

Regarding Joshua, this is a big concern. Ruiz is a hard hitter, but so is Deontay Wilder, who AJ's been hoping to fight for a long time. I'm not convinced that Joshua's punch resistance is as good as it ideally would be, and so he needed to use a much better defensive strategy than he did. With this kind of approach against Wilder, I'm sure he would have suffered the same fate.

In the long term, this ought to make fights against Wilder and Fury more likely. In the past, Eddie Hearn's been pricing AJ out of the market, but his bargaining power has now dropped. There's no way he could get away with pushing for a 60/40 purse split in Joshua's favour now, even if he destroys Ruiz in the probably rematch.

Fights against Wilder or Fury at Wembley would still be massive, but not to the extent they would be if this hadn't happened. The fact that Joshua was talking this weekend about a unification fight with Wilder in September suggests that he never even entertained the thought that Ruiz could beat him, and that's come back to bite him, just as it did with Lennox Lewis when he saw Hasim Rahman as a stepping stone towards a showdown with Mike Tyson.

Hopefully this sort of frees Joshua a bit - he's been beaten now, and decisively, so there's no need to fear that any longer. His approach and training in the lead up to this fight was awful. He can definitely hurt Ruiz, and I see him stopping him in the rematch - and hey, it gives him something to do now whilst Wilder is playing with the dickhead.

1 hour ago, MDK said:

Bunce reckons AJ had a serious concussion from the knock down in round 3. By the sounds of it he didn't know where he was at the end of the fight.

From his brief post-fight interview, he seemed to think he'd won. I think it's poor form to interview someone immediately after they've taken so many big shots to the head.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. Didn't look himself at all the more the fight went on. I said earlier that I thought he was either hurt from an early shot, or coming into the fight with an injury, because he really didn't look at the races.

AJ was rocked by an over the hill Klitschko and Dillian Whyte so the questions have always been there, definitely interested to see how Usyk does moving up, and then we have Fury vs Wilder 2 on the horizon, before AJ even considers any of these, he has to survive 12 more rounds with Ruiz unless he KOs that tough mexican SOB

25 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

From his brief post-fight interview, he seemed to think he'd won. I think it's poor form to interview someone immediately after they've taken so many big shots to the head.

I only listened to it on the wireless but they were saying he was smiling at the end of the fight. And he was taken away for some concussion protocol thingie and he managed to get a quick 5 min interview much later, its probably on the 5Live twitter. He certainly didn't sound 100%.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interesting fight tonight:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/49523129

Briton Luke Campbell says he will defy the odds against pound-for-pound king Vasyl Lomachenko on Saturday.

Ukraine's Lomachenko, 31, has won world titles at three different weights in a 14-fight professional career.

"I expect me winning this fight some way or form," said Campbell. "Somehow I will win by doing what I do best.

"I've always dreamed of a massive pinnacle fight. It selling out and everybody screaming my name... it's going to be amazing."

Lomachenko, like Campbell an Olympic gold medallist, is aiming to add the vacant WBC crown to his WBA and WBO belts en route to unifying the lightweight division.

From what I hear Campbell will have to knock out Lomachenko, who is considered one of the best boxers in the world right now, if he wants the smallest chance to win tonight. 22:30 is the rough time of the fight. If MOTD is on at 22:40 then you might have enough time to watch both.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...