General boxing thread

EddieG

Agreed. Chisora spitting water at Wlad and slapping Vitali is poor sportsmanship and all that, but it makes for a great fight.

Him and Haye genuinely wanting to hurt each other makes for a good fight.

Well, supposedly wanting to hurt each other. I refuse to rule out it being a stunt to promote a better tagline than 'The People Who Can't Beat Klitchko Collide!'. Not arsed about the fight, heavyweight boxing is awful anyway, and these two aren't even good examples of it anyway.

Well, yeah. Two Brits who want to destroy each other sells better than "these guys can't beat the best.. so they'll fight each other".

It's the boxing equivalent of a World Cup 3rd place playoff. I'd go with 'Battle of the Also-rans' or 'Come On, At Least its not Audley Harrison'.

Well at least there's something that Sky can now go ahead and go "PAY FIFTEEN QUID TO SEE THESE TWO MEN THAT HATE EACH OTHER AND HAD THAT WILD BRAWL THAT ONE TIME SQUARE OFF AND THE WINNER MIGHT GET A CHANCE TO BE BEATEN AGAIN BY A KLITCHSKO"

Oh about the bottle that second picture were he is punching with the bottle in hand I really wouldn't call that glassing him cause if your punching your hands gonna be wrapped around the bottle so its gonna be closed. Stupid thing to do like, not condoning it but wouldn't call it glassing at the same time. They are both cunts anyway but if a fight between the two goes down then who's to say I won't watch it, both men will wanna try to beat the shit out of the other one it'll make for an interesting fight. Plus all the pre-hype and that before the fight should be pretty interesting to see if it does go ahead.

If not a bottling, can we just bump it down to a little bit of harmless "assault with a weapon"?

Both these clowns are embarrassing. I wanted to like Chisora because he hung in there, toughed it out, and even gave Klitschko some problems. But around the bells he's a joker. I think I like Haye even less.

I want a gif of Klitschko just chuckling as the whole shitshow unfolds.

What an absolutely, pathetic mess. Really the BBBoC should consider revoking Chisora's licence (and refuse to renew Haye's should he actually come out of retirement.) These pair acting like clowns just tarnishes the name of Boxing, mind you they did it no favours with their pre match antics for their respective matches either.

Carl Froch admits prolonging title fight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-17088977

The former WBC Super Middleweight champion Carl Froch has admitted prolonging a title fight to enable members of his family to benefit financially.

Speaking on BBC Radio Nottingham, he expanded on comments made in his autobiography, published last year.

He said he could have finished his 2005 Commonwealth title defence against Ruben Groenewald earlier than he did.

The British Boxing Board of Control said it would now speak to Froch.

'Not illegal'

The Nottingham boxer said he could have finished the fight in the fourth round but deliberately avoided doing so because of bets made on it finishing in the fifth.

Carl Froch said what he did was not illegal.

He said: "I've done it more than one occasion and it was round five but that's not illegal.

"I can say, 'right, I'll stop this kid in round five'. If I'm good enough to do that then fair enough.

"I don't gamble but my brothers and my friends, they did quite well off it," he said.

"I can openly say that because if I'm good enough to step on the gas in round five and force the stoppage then that's my privilege, and that's what I did in this particular fight at the Arena for the Commonwealth title defence.

"But the problem with that is I held him up in round four.

"He was there for the taking and I held him up, I got him with a shot, I could have ended up getting done myself in round four."

There may be more to it, but if Froch wasn't asked to throw the fight, the only problem I'd have is he was given a title challenger who had no chance to beat him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/17088619

David Haye & Dereck Chisora could face prison over brawl

British boxers David Haye and Dereck Chisora are suspected of committing offences that could carry prison sentences following their Munich brawl, German prosecutors told BBC Sport.

Haye is suspected of grievous bodily harm - a crime which, if proven, carries a prison sentence of six months to 10 years, prosecutors said.

etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched the Klitschko/Mormeck fight, walk in the park for Wladimir, he was throwing hard from the first bell and always looking for the finish. Its a shame there are no big contenders on the horizon as I'd love to see him get a few more big fights in Germany before he calls it a day.