General boxing thread

EddieG

Age certainly won't be a factor, but it's possible that all those years of piling on the pounds in between fights could be. I'll admit that I'm no expert when it comes to boxing training, but it was clear to see that he was pale and weight-drained in the build-up to the Pacquiao fight. Yes, Pacquiao was considered one of the best fighters in the world at that point, but I genuinely feel as though any half-decent puncher would have inflicting similar damage on Hatton, albeit perhaps not quite so quickly. Perhaps his preparation was hindered by depression and purported rifts in his training camp, but I don't think that was the sole reason for what happened.

I think Hatton's downward slide began before the Mayweather fight, personally. He looked sluggish and out of sorts against both Luis Collazo and Juan Urango before taking down Jose Luis Castillo with what was admittedly a cracking shot after four relatively close rounds. Fighting at Welterweight, as he did against Collazo and Mayweather, Hatton didn't seem at all comfortable going toe-to-toe with the bigger fighters, while he's frequently admitted that getting down to Light-Welterweight for the Pacquiao fight didn't go well at all.

I'm saying this as a Hatton fan, but I did think that he was "washed up" towards the tail-end of his fighting career, and I could think of several current Welterweight and Light-Welterweight boxers who I feel would outclass him.

If he goes out and becomes an all-conqueror, though, kudos to him indeed.

I'm saying this as a Hatton fan, but I did think that he was "washed up" towards the tail-end of his fighting career, and I could think of several current Welterweight and Light-Welterweight boxers who I feel would outclass him.

Absolutely this. The Pacquiao fight, in retrospect, feels like a case of Hatton cashing in his chips against the other bigtime PPV draw. It seemed like Ricky's whole camp knew when that fight was over that he was finished. He simply wasn't at the level to compete with the world class P4P guys in his weight range and I doubt the years in between have made him better. I think he could still have competitive fights, but he's probably best served in his home market where the domestic scene is stronger pretty much than any non-Latin American country.

Missing Chavez Jr./Martinez tomorrow night for a concert, anyone here keeping an eye on it? I'm very excited to catch the replay, I think it's got the makings of a highly athletic skill matchup.

Best case scenario for Hatton is to face some jabroni in his first fight, then if he wins, set up a fight against one of Kell Brook or Amir Khan. I wouldn't expect him to beat Khan but I think it would be a good fight against Brook. Then if he somehow upsets all the odds and beats one, or even both of them in consecutive fights, maybe he'll get a big payday fight in Vegas.

Amir Khan has announced that he has split from trainer Freddie Roach and says he will name his replacement on Saturday.

"Officially I have left Freddie Roach," the 25-year-old tweeted. "Just had a good professional chat and maybe in the future we will work together."

Roach told ESPN: "I wished him luck. I have been fired before."

• 2 weeks later...
Ricky Hatton will come out of retirement with a fight against former WBA champion Vyacheslav Senchenko in Manchester on 24 November.

The Mancunian, 33, has not fought since his brutal IBO light-welterweight world title defeat by Manny Pacquiao in 2009.

Hatton v Senchenko

In 33 pro fights spread over a 10-year career, Ukraine's Senchenko, 35, has only been beaten once - a ninth-round stoppage by Paulie Malignaggi in April.

If Hatton wins, he could again meet WBA welterweight champion Malignaggi.

"I can't wait to get in the ring now, and I'm sure that Vyacheslav Senchenko will give me a good fight," said Hatton. "It's one that I am confident I can win though.

"Senchenko has got a good pedigree. I'm in great shape, I'm feeling good and I know I can put on a performance for all those watching.

"I'm a boxer who loves boxing and loves to box. I'm driven by a hunger to box and look forward to getting back in the ring."

Senchenko has only fought outside Ukraine or Russia once, when he beat Vincenzo Finzi in Monaco six years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

David Price is gonna fight Audley Harrison in mid October..... Mismatch is an understatement, Price is going to batter him.

Batter was an understatement. Pretty much destroyed him but then again that wasn't exactly a surprise is it, Someone needs to tell Audley to retire mainly because he can't just keep getting battered and risking his health just for some easy paychecks.

Edit: DeGale is fighting now on Channel 5 if anyone is interested

Price has to be in line for a big fight now, Haye or either Klitschko would be something I'd pay to see.

As from Harrison, he's always been a joke, never shown any heart in his whole professional career. Surely he'll retire now.

I don't think Price would be ready to fight Klitchsko, I think he is the best British fighter with a chance of doing well against them but I think one or two more fights before that happens.

Give him Tyson Fury, he's been ducking Price for a while now and well I just wanna see Tyson Fury get knocked out.

Even though Fury is hard as fuck and has uncanny strength, I think Price will be too smart and too quick for him. And if Price ends up landing a couple of clean shots then it'll be over. Should be a good fight though, I hope they can sort something out.

Just heard that Harrison got beaten in 82 seconds, I don't know much about boxing but I've never really heard of Harrison winning a big fight since turning pro, I'm amazed he's still fighting. Same with Amir Khan. :/

Audley should be done now.

Khan just needs to learn some defence, any defence, any defence that doesn't involve blocking punches with your chin.

• Like 1

Khan switching trainers and going into the Andre Ward camp should help him with that. It will be interesting to see if there is any progression in his style when he fights in December. Kell Brook/Amir Khan would be a great all British match sometime early next year if they both come out of their next matches with a victory.

Price seems smart enough to wait out until the upcoming Klitschko retirement as he'll likely be involved in the title eliminator(s). Maybe see a four man eliminator for the title with Price, Fury, Povetkin, Adamek/Solis?