General boxing thread

EddieG

Once again, Khan went for bravado over sensible tactics. Having been able to get away with it to a certain degree in some of his recent fights, he evidently came undone against a fighter who had done his homework and knew how to take advantage of Khan's shortcomings.

I still don't really know what to make of Garcia's future prospects and I'd like to see how he would get on against a more tactically astute opponent than Khan. Whoever he fights next, though, he's probably in for a much better payday than he would have been this time yesterday.

Once again, Khan went for bravado over sensible tactics. Having been able to get away with it to a certain degree in some of his recent fights, he evidently came undone against a fighter who had done his homework and knew how to take advantage of Khan's shortcomings.

But boy are those four punch combos pretty :P

Stunning first knockdown, reminded me a bit of Martinez on Paul Williams last year or so. He's got great handspeed but no defense or body movement to protect himself, so Khan is always wide open to get hit. A guy with heavy hands and some smarts can undo him just by counterpunching in the flurries. Garcia figured Amir out in three rounds and was landing the left hook pretty much whenever he wanted to. Mayweather would cut Khan to ribbons.

True, and I imagine that Mayweather would do so much more slowly and methodically than Garcia did. If anything, a Khan-Mayweather fight would end up a one-sided decision victory for Mayweather, which would ultimately be more embarrassing for Khan than succumbing to a ripping shot or two a la Prescott and Garcia.

David Price is gonna fight Audley Harrison in mid October..... Mismatch is an understatement, Price is going to batter him.

Harrison won last time out against Ali Adams. Price should pick up the win quite easily but Audley's got a lot to prove and the Haye fight has really skewed a lot of people's opinion of him. I'm happier to watch Audley box than Haye or Chisora.

• 1 month later...
ANDREW FLINTOFF is to make a sensational sporting comeback — as a BOXER.

The retired Ashes hero, 34, will take to the ring on November 30 for his professional heavyweight debut with the build-up filmed for a new Sky 1 show.

But Freddie, who quit cricket in 2010, insists his latest venture is not just a TV gimmick.

And in an exclusive chat with SunSport, he said: “This is the biggest challenge I’ve ever taken. I love boxing and I’m serious about what I’m doing now.

“I’m going to live and breathe as a boxer and make all the sacrifices.

“We’re doing a TV documentary but that is not going to get in the way of training.

“With cricket you can lose but in boxing you can get properly hurt so I’m not messing about with it.

“You can build it up as much as you want and be as hard as you like but being punched is not nice.”

Flintoff is working with former world featherweight champion Barry McGuigan and his son Shane to get in shape for the Manchester Arena fight which will be aired on BoxNation.

And the Lancashire lad, who was forced to retire after a series of knee injuries, has already shed TWO stone in just six weeks of training.

He revealed: “I have to lose weight to be a heavyweight! I’ve got a diet which I’ve stuck to and the weight is dropping off.

“My knee has not felt as good as this for a long time. But I’m more worried about being punched than having a sore knee!

“I’m fitter than ever before and we’re still 12 weeks away from the fight.”

Flintoff does not yet know who his opponent will be, but he added: “This is a chance to do something in professional sport again — something I never expected.

“Some people will think I’m mad, some people will want to watch it and some people will want to see me knocked out but I’m going to have a go — why not?”

Andrew Flintoff’s The Gloves Are Off will air later this year on Sky 1.

Should be interesting...

• Admin
Former two-weight world champion Ricky Hatton's comeback has moved closer after he appeared before boxing officials to ask for his licence back.

Hatton, 33, attended a British Boxing Board of Control (BBBoC) meeting in Cardiff on Wednesday and is set to hold a news conference on Friday.

General secretary Robert Smith told BBC Sport: "His licence will be granted pending the completion of medicals.

"He spoke well, looks fit and he wants to have one more hurrah."

Hatton, nicknamed 'The Hitman', has not fought since suffering a second-round knockout by Manny Pacquiao in May 2009.

The Manchester-based former light-welterweight and welterweight champion formally retired last year with a record of 45 wins and two defeats and now runs his own promotions company.

In 2010, Hatton was stripped of his licence to box by the BBBoC after allegations of cocaine usage.

"He looks very well, everything seems to be in order and he's sorted himself out," Smith said.

"From what he was saying, he seems very settled with his family. He has already had some of the medicals and we are making sure he's on track."

Hatton dominated the light-welterweight division and his most notable win at that weight came against IBF champion Kostya Tszyu in 2005.

The following year, Hatton defeated Puerto Rican Luis Collazo to take the WBA world welterweight title and followed that victory by beating Juan Urango to reclaim his IBF light-welterweight title.

He lost to American five-division world champion Floyd Mayweather in 2007 and suffered a comprehensive beating by Pacquiao in his final fight three years ago.

Hatton, who frequently ballooned in weight between bouts, has lost three stone this year and is tipped to return to action with a fight in November.

He stopped Paulie Malignaggi in 11 rounds in his penultimate fight in 2008, since when the American has become the WBA welterweight champion.

Hatton's former promoter Frank Warren believes the comeback is a mistake.

"I believe he's had a good career and he should reflect on that," said Warren.

"No-one should be encouraging him to return and I just hope it doesn't wind up being a big disappointment for him."

But former world champion Barry McGuigan has told the BBC that Hatton can win a world title again.

"There's every chance we'll see 90% of the Ricky Hatton we saw a few years back and that will be good enough to beat someone like Paulie Malignaggi," McGuigan said.

This won't end well.

If this were wrestling, he'd be coming back to squash a couple of jobbers in his initial comeback matches before putting over the young British talent, such as Kell Brook.

Sadly, though, it's a real sport in which his opponents will be doing their utmost to punch him really, really hard in the face. As everyone's already said, this doesn't look at all like a good idea.