Smackdown vs Raw 2011

jrtdot

The flipside to that freedom is Road to WrestleMania. On the surface, WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011's Road looks like that of the past -- you choose one of five tales and play through the weeks leading up to that Superstar's appearance on the grandest stage of all in between watching a bunch of cutscenes.

There's only 5 RTWM's?

EDIT: after reading that IGN review, I'm a little bummed and confused about the lack of a strong grapple.

Well, there are five stories - Jericho, Christian, Rey, Cena, and vs. Undertaker. Vs. Undertaker, however, puts you in the shoes of either Morrison, R-Truth, Kofi, Ziggler, or a CAW.

I'm curious what made IGN give this an 8.0 instead of an 8.1...

Seriously though, even though I don't put much stock in numbers, I think the 8-range is pretty much where this series will permanently find itself. I'm excited for the game, I think I'll really enjoy it, but it's probably safe to assume the series will always be the definition of playing it safe. Barring any drastic overhauls, it's just going to be a matter of how good that particular year's bells and whistles are.

The flipside to that freedom is Road to WrestleMania. On the surface, WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011's Road looks like that of the past -- you choose one of five tales and play through the weeks leading up to that Superstar's appearance on the grandest stage of all in between watching a bunch of cutscenes.

There's only 5 RTWM's?

EDIT: after reading that IGN review, I'm a little bummed and confused about the lack of a strong grapple.

Well, there are five stories - Jericho, Christian, Rey, Cena, and vs. Undertaker. Vs. Undertaker, however, puts you in the shoes of either Morrison, R-Truth, Kofi, Ziggler, or a CAW.

...So you can't do RTWM with anyone like in past games(I haven't bought a Smackdown game in several years)?

...Road to WrestleMania has never let you pick whoever you wanted to play as, as far as I can remember.

The last couple of Smackdowns I actually bought let you pick whoever you wanted, because the story mode in them was pretty much just random storylines thrown together. I *think* the last one I bought was on PS2 though. >_>

I honestly don't know how anyone could complain about not being able to pick someone for RTWM when career mode sounds like HCTPs career mode x100000000000000000000.

WWE Universe has me very excited. It's a big reason why I'm going to buy this one. I don't think I ever played HCTP, though, except for an hour or two with a friend when he bought it.

So I'm thinking about pre-ordering this from amazon.com due to the ten dollar voucher toward a video game they give you. At the same time, I'm thinking Best Buy because Bret Hart is awesome and I'd like to use him in my game. On the other hand, I'd love to have the Ministry era Undertaker because that was my all-time favorite time period for the Undertaker. I'm kind of hoping that THQ would eventually make Bret Hart and the Ministry Taker downloadable content as some point, so I'm leaning toward amazon.com.

Do any of you guys have preferences, or do you not give a rats ass and are simply buying it at the closest store that will sell it?

Edit - Oh, and I am sort of hesitant to pre-order only because I'd like to see what others think before I dive in head first. I enjoyed 2010 a lot, and can only imagine I'd like this as much due to the WWE Universe and an updated roster. I figure I'll enjoy the hell out of 2011, but ya never know, I'd hate to blow sixty bucks on something that turns out to be garbage.

Edited by VerbalPuke

...Road to WrestleMania has never let you pick whoever you wanted to play as, as far as I can remember.

The last couple of Smackdowns I actually bought let you pick whoever you wanted, because the story mode in them was pretty much just random storylines thrown together. I *think* the last one I bought was on PS2 though. >_>

Yeah, you haven't bought one in awhile then, Road to WrestleMania has always been character-specific stories.

Yeah, you haven't bought one in awhile then, Road to WrestleMania has always been character-specific stories.

Well, then the earliest point he could've last bought one was SvR08, which didn't have RtWM, but instead, the weird combo Season/GM Mode mode. <_<

Well, then the earliest point he could've last bought one was SvR08, which didn't have RtWM, but instead, the weird combo Season/GM Mode mode. <_<

Might've been 07 then. I do remember having GM mode, and thinking it sort of resembled EWR for marks.

I'm fairly certain you're correct. 2007 had GM mode.

In other news, I don't think I've ever been more excited for a Smackdown game. I feel like this one will be the best one ever, as far as actual game play goes. Physics, directional grapples, natural looking reversals, more interactive Chamber/Cell matches--it all sounds like such a leap forward. Throw in the huge roster, wonderful selection of legends, (theoretically) awesome WWE Universe mode, interesting RTWM character choices, and other bells-and-whistles on top of it all like the Nitro arena and Los Conquistadors attires for Edge and Christian, and I feel like this game is going to be the best Smackdown yet by a large margin. I'm pumped.

Do any of you guys have preferences, or do you not give a rats ass and are simply buying it at the closest store that will sell it?

That... I drive past a centre that has Dick Smith, Target, Harvey Norman in so I'll go there, but they have EB Games to So they're guarnteed to have something...

I should check to see what time they open, so I don't call in before work to find out they're not open.

OK just checked. EB Games have the Bret Hart Pack for $98 (AUS) which is pretty good for the game.

So I might go down tomorrow and pre-order it. Then I will pick it up after work on Thursday.

Edited by Rocky Feller