Plymouth Argyle v Notts County
Wycombe Wanderers v Millwall
Oxford United v Bristol Rovers
Milton Keynes Dons v Dagenham & Redbridge
Hereford United v Colchester United
Yeovil Town v Crystal Palace
Aldershot Town v Watford
Swindon Town v Leyton Orient[/code]

Relegated Portsmouth face a trip to League Two newcomers Stevenage in the first round of the Carling Cup.

Portsmouth's south-coast neighbours Southampton face a home tie against fellow League One side Bournemouth.

In the northern section, promoted Leeds host Lincoln, Stockport host Preston and Rochdale face Barnsley.

The ties will be played in the week commencing 9 August, with Premier League clubs and Hull and Burnley entering in the later rounds.

Burnley and Hull, the highest placed of the clubs relegated from the Premier League, have a bye to round two along with Premier League clubs not involved in European competition.

Holders Manchester United, who beat Aston Villa in last season's final, are among the clubs entering in round three.

Wednesday's draw, coming a day before the announcement of league fixtures, was divided into two sections and then split between seeded and unseeded teams - meaning Championship clubs could not face each other.

Cardiff, who lost in the Championship play-off final, are drawn at home against Burton Albion while beaten play-off semi-finalists Nottingham Forest and Leicester face Bradford and Macclesfield respectively.

Oxford United, who beat York City in the Conference play-off final, entertain Bristol Rovers.

Cherries vs. Southampton in the first round at St. Mary's, what a fab draw! Interesting tie for Pompey too; away to Stevenage. A big win there could set the tone for the rest of their season, provided they have enough players still around to record it of course.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't surprise me. A Coventry-supporting friend of mine was all "WE BEAT PORTSMOUTH! WE BEAT PORTSMOUTH!" this weekend. I had to point out to him that beating any team with only 15 players on the books is always going to be possible.

Combine that with Stevenage just being excited to be in the competition for the first time, and it could certainly be interesting.

Price dependant and also wehre I can find someone to go with I may go see Carlisle take on Huddersfield tonight. Would expect them lot to win but Carlisle got a good win against Brentford in the opener.

Plus I'd like to see how it's going for Joe Garner. Sold to Forest some years ago for £1.14m, now out on loan to Huddersfield at the same tier he was in just some years ago.

Bad performance last night by Boro'. Starting off at snails pace and they were there for the taking last night. Unusual to see our defence being so inept since four out of four have been giving them too much space in the box for a free header/tap in from a cross. Showed far too much respect to Pompey and gave them too much room, they've still got a decent first 11 but once they pick up a knock or two I can see them being slaughtered.

That was a good, exciting night of football. The midweek, nighttime matches give it something special and I think after last year's semi's between us and Man City and the Villa-Blackburn games, there is big potential there for the League Cup to produce entertaining matches and hopefully become something the biggest teams start to care more about.

Fuck you Doncaster Rovers, for being so shit that you let Accrington Stanley beat you. With your first choice defence playing. :(

Fixed.

Heh, I didn't watch it, just saw the score online.

Did you go?

That was a good, exciting night of football. The midweek, nighttime matches give it something special and I think after last year's semi's between us and Man City and the Villa-Blackburn games, there is big potential there for the League Cup to produce entertaining matches and hopefully become something the biggest teams start to care more about.

I would say the big teams do care about it, look at all the recent finals, big teams are being involved in them. It's never going to be the FA Cup but I think it has gained in value in recent years. I would imagine Man City have targeted winning it as it would be a show of intent.

Also Colchester winning 3-0 makes me happy we always go out so early in this cup, hopefully we get to the 3rd or 4th round this year.

Edited by Sam

Fuck you Doncaster Rovers, for being so shit that you let Accrington Stanley beat you. With your first choice defence playing. :(

Fixed.

Heh, I didn't watch it, just saw the score online.

Did you go?

Yes I did, wish I hadn't bothered though tbh. We were poor, but the worst thing is James Hayter went off with a hamstring injury and could be out for ages now. I don't mind losing because let's face it, the Carling Cup is not high on our list of priorities, but to have a key player who was already an injury doubt be needlessly played and get a potentially serious injury is very frustrating.