EWB's Favourite Bands 2010: The Results

YI

I find the album to be lacking a certain something.

Good tunes namely.

For there are none.

And Bryan Fallon needs to stop going into spoilt brat mode whenever anyone mentions Bruce Springsteen. I only write for a uni newspaper ffs. It's not like I'm going to properly research interesting and original questions. <_<

I think I've listened to most of one of Gaslight's albums, entirely because of all the acclaim they get on here. It was alright I guess. I might listen to more because it sounded like something I coild like. I'm just glad Muse didn't fucking win.

I've been a fan of Gorillaz for about two months or so now, but I've really fallen in love. That's just one of the good things about my wife, she's opened up my musical tastes quite a bit regarding a lot of music that doesn't fall under the rock and roll category. I just wish that the ticket prices for their upcoming show weren't so much fucking money.

I saw Gaslight Anthem once, but I wasn't there for them. I was there for Murder By Death who happened to be playing before them, and they were awesome. I didn't care for Gaslight Anthem at all.

I'm with you Ollie. I mean, I like them and all but they are not that great. American Slang didn't impress me at all. The other two albums are pretty good, I even like Sink or Swim better then The 59 Sound I'd say, but yeah. They are pretty good and I'd like to see them live sometime, but there are definitely a lot of bands out there that are better.

...doesn't like...everyone? Their EP probably has their best songs on it too.

I prefer 'The '59 Sound', although I'm aware that's not the cool way to do it :P

Edited by Liam

I'm with you Ollie. I mean, I like them and all but they are not that great. American Slang didn't impress me at all. The other two albums are pretty good, I even like Sink or Swim better then The 59 Sound I'd say, but yeah. They are pretty good and I'd like to see them live sometime, but there are definitely a lot of bands out there that are better.

...doesn't like...everyone? Their EP probably has their best songs on it too.

I prefer 'The '59 Sound', although I'm aware that's not the cool way to do it :P

Same. I used to like Sink or Swim better but The '59 Sound just keeps growing on me.

I think you've really missed out on them, fucking off to Japan. How they've grown in the last couple of years is pretty mental. 2 year ago they were basically a fairly popular punk-rock band, their debut album was pretty much universally loved by punk-rock fans but nowhere else. Then Rolling Stone caught onto them, Zane Lowe started his pimping and it snowballed and then Kerrang! whacked them on their front cover despite no previous coverage because they were embarrassed that an 'alternative' band they'd never covered was suddenly getting all this hype, so needed to look like they were in on it.

I mean, they're far from a Top 40's band, but they definitely have a pretty broad following, some music video play and a fair amount of radio DJ's who love them.

Edited by YI

Well then.

Nine Inch Nails are okay. Kind of gone off them in the last few years, would never really go out of my way to listen to them any more, but they're pretty good. Saw them live touring "With Teeth", and they were fantastic.

Mastodon I have to admit I barely know beyond one album. I always assumed that I just wouldn't be interested in them, because everyone I knew who liked them had completely different music tastes to me, and they just didn't seem like something I'd be in to. Saw them live pretty much by mistake - I was at the front of the stage for the band on before them, and The Melvins came on immediately after, so I figured I'd just stay put, and they were actually fantastic. Wouldn't have ever made my list, but they are damn good.

Oasis are dreadful.

David Bowie is pretty much God. I have a framed photo of him on my wall, and he informs all my decisions in life.

I don't think I've ever heard a note of Rise Against's music.

Pearl Jam are really boring. Have been for years. And "Ten" has aged horribly, so you're left with one or two decent tracks if you're drunk.

Blur don't interest me at all, never did.

Don't think I've heard Paramore, doubt I'm missing much.

Muse are rubbish now. First couple of albums were okay, and they used to write great B-sides - and "Random 1-8" was a great album if only for "Pink Ego Box"/"Instant Messenger", which I still think is one of the best tracks they ever did. They haven't written anything good since maybe one or two tracks off Absolution, though, they just went up their arse with sci-fi nonsense lyrics and keep ripping off Queen and Battles, two things I don't want to hear ripped off for two vastly different reasons. They're just shit now. Incidentally, my brother used to be an obsessive fan up until a little while after Absolution came out, and had every album and every single on every format, plus a load of Japanese imports and rarities and what-have-you, hence me having a wider knowledge of their earlier stuff than they deserve >_>

Eminem's boring. '97 Bonnie & Clyde was nice, but I got bored of the "funny song, serious song, funny song" singles release pattern pretty quickly, especially when he's not written a good, or amusing, track in years, and he was never that good in the first place.

Never heard Frank Turner.

Gorillaz don't interest me at all.

The Beatles are good. Kind of like what I said about Nirvana, in that it's quite easy to be polarised about them and either love them or hate them, a difficult band to just think "yeah, they're alright". A lot of their stuff really hasn't aged well at all, and some of it's absolute dross, but at their best they wrote some of the best songs around. Wouldn't make my list, but can't really complain about them making the Top 5.

Bloody Metallica.

Barely know The Gaslight Anthem beyond one or two tracks and the Springsteen connection. Keep putting off buying any of their stuff, but probably will do eventually.

So, I just finished reading the list. 3/4 of the artists/bands I had never heard of or listened to,but some of my favorites were there, so yay! But one thing I gathered from this list is that I would probably not enjoy being at the same party with most EWB'ers. For some reason I thought that there'd be more metalheads here. I dunno. Well, at least Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold, Slayer, Megadeth, Led Zep and Metallica were there.

And who the fuck are Gaslight Anthem?

Edited by Jayzon

So, I just finished reading the list. 3/4 of the artists/bands I had never heard of or listened to,but some of my favorites were there, so yay! But one thing I gathered from this list is that I would probably not enjoy being at the same party with most EWB'ers. For some reason I thought that there'd be more metalheads here. I dunno. Well, at least Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold, Slayer, Megadeth, Led Zep and Metallica were there.

And who the fuck are Gaslight Anthem?

Just because wrestling music is normally some god awful "Alternative" rock it doesn't mean we all love it and the genres that encompass it.

I've been a wrestling fan for the better part of 20 years, and I was listening to Randy Newman on the way home today.

I have been a wrestling fan for over a decade... And I have never liked Disturbed, Saliva or Drowning Pool -_-

• 2 weeks later...