EWB's Favourite Bands 2010: The Results

YI

I realized they weren't just ten minutes ago. I listened to some of one of their albums and they're pretty good, I'll probably make one of their records my next pickup at eMusic.

So is this the first time somebody other than Metallica and The Beatles have finished 1st? Actually, I figure YI has it lying around so maybe we should get a list of past champions.

Also, Paramore top ten? The fuck?

Recovery meant Eminem should be given a boost to the top 50...maybe...Relapse is so shit that he almost doesn't deserve to be credited as good anymore.

At least the good Damon Albarn band finished ahead of the shitty Damon Albarn band.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Gaslight are not the #1 band in the world but they cross through so many genres that I'm not surprised to see them end up #1 on a list like this. Very good though, I'm sure I had them top 5 on my list, probably top 3.

Beatles are also awesome. Bowie is great. Oasis are very good.

Blur and Pearl Jam and Muse are good. Metallica too.

Never heard of Frank Turner.

I just can't get into the Gorillaz, though I see the appeal.

That's an awesome top 6 for the fact I'm a massive fan of 3 of those bands. Eminem, Gorrilaz and The Gaslight Anthem are all great. GoGo's right. It's awesome to see The Gorillaz huge jump. They deserve it, though. Plastic Beach is a right achievement. As is Recovery. Both those artists deserved the big jump due to their albums.

I always thought The Gaslight Anthem were just the band EWB had a hard-on for and I didn't really care for it much. But that was mostly because I hadn't listened to much. Their new album is pretty good and American Slang is a tuuuuuuuune. They're still EWB's hard-on band, evidently. But I feel a lot better about them being number one.

Pretty glad they beat Metallica. (Y)

Good list, cheers YI.

Seriously, am I the only one on EWB who thinks Gaslight are just, y'know, there?

Don't get me wrong, I like them, they're a good band, but that's it. They're not lighting the world on fire, they're making good guitar based music with pretty good lyrics. There's so many bands doing the same thing as them but better.

Eh.

I'm with you Ollie. I mean, I like them and all but they are not that great. American Slang didn't impress me at all. The other two albums are pretty good, I even like Sink or Swim better then The 59 Sound I'd say, but yeah. They are pretty good and I'd like to see them live sometime, but there are definitely a lot of bands out there that are better.

Muse...I have decided that old school Muse is still great. Showbiz is haunting and edgy and totally not the faux-space opera stuff that they're known for now.

I've always found it peculiar that between us, we like everything Muse has done, but there's no overlap whatsoever.

Hehehe yeah it is really strange. Stick us both at a Muse gig that covers all of their albums and we'd both have a good time but for totally different reasons.

I imagine the setlist would vacillate between things I like and things you like so neither of us is happy for more than one song at a time. As far as the top ten go:

- Pearl Jam: Ten is phenomenal, everything since then has been pretty alright. On the whole, I approve.

- Blur: Didn't like them or Oasis during the whole Britpop thing and the only reason they stick in my brain to this day is Alex Baker was on Have I Got News For You once, and Rhythm did a feature with Dave Rowntree a couple of months back.

- Paramore: I like them in small doses. I don't agree with the whole "all female-fronted bands sound like avril lavigne", but I don't think they're anything particularly special. With a slightly less fit bird they wouldn't be anywhere this high (if on the list at all)

- Muse: <3. The girl likes them as well, so I could conceivably get married to something by them. I mean, I wouldn't, that's a bit weird, but I COULD.

- Eminem: The strange thing about M. Mathers III, Esq, is that I'd never think of myself as a fan of his, but everything I've heard I've liked. I remember the Sky Sports broadcast of Super Bowl XL had a build-up video package set to Lose Yourself that earned that a place in my heart forever.

- Frank Turner: Someone I only know of as part of Million Dead, which are a band I really only know of in passing.

- Gorillaz: See Eminem, except I actually bought Demon Days and played the shit out of it. Feel Good Inc is a tune, spoiled only by the first hit on Youtube being it backing a piece of anime. Not cool, Youtube.

- The Beatles: They are (probably) the only band the Queen, Omid Djalili, Wayne Gretzky and your next door neighbour all love. They are transcendent. And I joked about doing it to Muse, but since hearing "Here Comes The Sun" a few years ago I realised that would be an amazing replacement for Here Comes The Bride.

- Metallica: Awesome.

- Gaslight Anthem: I'm with Ollie. Nothing about these guys grabs me at all.

Very happy to see Gaslight at #1, love them. Saw them a few weeks ago, they were excellent. I met Brian Fallon before the show and he was super polite and down to earth, happy to see them getting more and more popular.

I'm with you Ollie. I mean, I like them and all but they are not that great. American Slang didn't impress me at all. The other two albums are pretty good, I even like Sink or Swim better then The 59 Sound I'd say, but yeah. They are pretty good and I'd like to see them live sometime, but there are definitely a lot of bands out there that are better.

...doesn't like...everyone? Their EP probably has their best songs on it too.

Edited by YI

to be fair, everyone should also burn their newest album à la the Beatles bigger than Jesus thing but alas...

It's not a patch on the first two, but "The Spirit Of Jazz" and "The Queen Of Lower Chelsea" are fucking tunes. But for a 'sellout' album (which it basically is :shifty:) it's pretty bloody good (especially when compared with Against Me!'s attempts at it).

Edited by YI