EWB's Favourite Bands 2010: The Results

YI

Sorry for the lack of updates. Weekend sessions and my generally apathy and all that;

20. QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE (250pts - 5 votes)

Queens+of+the+Stone+Age+Qotsa++2003.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 55

STUDIO ALBUMS: 5

19. ALKALINE TRIO (250pts - 5 votes)

Alkaline+Trio+alkalinetrio38.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 67

STUDIO ALBUMS: 7

18. RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE (252pts - 6 votes)

Rage+Against+the+Machine+medium_rage_against_the_machin.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: n/a

STUDIO ALBUMS: 4

17. RADIOHEAD (265pts - 5 votes)

Radiohead+67940729_c66903dc8d.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 7

16. DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE (266pts - 7 votes)

Death+Cab+for+Cutie.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 13

STUDIO ALBUMS: 6

RATM are the best thing in that list for me, but it's not a great list. QOTSA have some decent tunes, but a lot of their album tracks are bland as hell.

I'm not a Radiohead fan, though I can appreciate the quality of some of their song writing. Of the little Alkaline Trio I've heard, they didn't seem bad, but I can't really judge on so little.

And Death Cab For Cutie. Ugh. What a fucking boring band.

My love for RATM died once I saw a 12 year old kid buying the self-titled album in HMV with his mum for £4 following the whole Christmas thing.

Yeah, God forbid kids from the newer generations listen to stuff that isn't shit, right? :rolleyes:

My love for RATM died once I saw a 12 year old kid buying the self-titled album in HMV with his mum for £4 following the whole Christmas thing.

Yeah, God forbid kids from the newer generations listen to stuff that isn't shit, right? :rolleyes:

yeah that's a horrible reason to stop liking a band.

anyways

I quite like QOTSA. I've only actually got the odd song - never listened to an album. I've been meaning to get one for ages but never got around to it.

I quite like Maybe I'll Catch Fire (album) and the odd song here and there by Alkaline Trio.

Rage Against The Machine's music bores me and their childish politics baffle me. Killing In The Name is still a CHOOOOOON though. But only when I'm drunk.

Radiohead's alright. The Bends is good, OK Computer is alright. Then they turn shit only to put out In Rainbows which sits somewhere in between Bends and Computer.

Death Cab For Cutie are good. I voted for them but it just seems like I voted for them out of habit more than anything else cause I haven't actually listened to them in ageeeeeeees. Probably not even listened to an album in 2010. Perhaps cause I listened to them far too much before, Still, good band.

QOTSA are nice enough. A good singles band. "The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret" is brilliant. Not as good as the sum of its parts, though - I'd much rather listen to Screaming Trees, Mark Lanegan or Kyuss. But, hell, any band that has ever had Mark Lanegan as a member is fine by me.

Alkaline Trio are naff.

Rage Against The Machine are, mostly, bad rap, repetitive riffs and clumsy sloganeering of the kind that convinces teenagers and idiots that they're intellectuals with important things to say about the political situation, and not writing songs which essentially amount to the agitprop equivalent of saying "leave me alone Mum, I'll tidy my room later". The best album they ever did was a covers album, because at least it meant I didn't have to hear Zach De La Rocha's opinions.

I really, really don't like Radiohead. They're "experimental" music for people who don't like "experimental" music. When they bother writing a tune, it can be good - Street Spirit, for example - but mostly it's dull and meandering, and Thom Yorke's voice pisses me right off. They're a bloody boring band, and bloody boring people listen to them.

Barely heard Death Cab For Cutie. I Will Follow You Into The Dark is nice enough, but everything else I've heard doesn't interest me in the slightest. Boring. The Bonzo Dog Band are miles better.

15. NINE INCH NAILS (285pts - 5 votes)

Nine+Inch+Nails.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 5

14. MASTODON (305pts - 5 votes)

Mastodon+l_fd16902a21b84ea9821eef0e506b.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 9

STUDIO ALBUMS: 4

13. OASIS (312pts - 6 votes)

Oasis+gallery_pic7106.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 21

12. DAVID BOWIE (336pts - 6 votes)

David+Bowie+jagBowie3.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 20

STUDIO ALBUMS: 25

11. RISE AGAINST (348pts - 6 votes)

Rise+Against.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: n/a

STUDIO ALBUMS: 5

David Bowie, yay! Everything else, boo.

As for the last five, my rule for Radiohead is if Thom Yorke isn't just moaning incoherently then maybe it's not a load of crap. "Just," "Optimistic," and "Creep" amongst other songs are excellent, but a lot of their discography leaves me cold. I loved The Photo Album by Death Cab but every other album I've listened to hasn't done a ton for me. I mean, they have great songs ("A Movie Script Ending," "Cath...," "Steadier Footing") but on the whole they never go beyond pleasant.

Really, people still put Oasis and Rise Against in high regard?

I can see the other three, even if I have a big distaste for Mastodon, but Clawson isn't even on here any more, so I'm lost to this territory of "Oasis fans in 2010." It's like being a Matchbox 20 or Semisonic fan in 2010. Technically, Oasis' music isn't wretched, but I don't think it's held up well enough to stay in fashion. (Well, I guess other than Morning Glory.)

I've tried to like NIN more than I do, and I don't mind the odd song, but they are just a bit.....naff. Can't put my finger on it, but yeah.

Mastodon are awesome though, and probably got voted quite high up on my list (I can't remember who I voted for >_>). Great live, with 4 good albums under their belts. Still, their best song was from the first album they ever put out.

Seriously, that is just some strong stuff.

As for Bowie, have his Ziggy Stardust album, which I actually really liked when I listened to it the 2 times it probably ended up in my CD player.

EDIT: Going back to the five before that, Skummy nails it for me with his thoughts on RATM. The most over-rated band out there in my opinion. They aren't horrendous by any means, but people deify thier musical contribution way too much.

Edited by Liam