EWB's Favourite Bands 2010: The Results

YI

Oh, and no matter how much Limp Bizkit gets bashed (rightfully so a lot of the time) 'My Way' is still a tune.

I liked it better when it was called "Rollin'," which I liked better when it was called "My Generation," which I liked better when it was called "Break Stuff," which I yeah.

• Like 1

That WrestleMania is the only good thing about "My Way." When I was thirteen/fourteen I liked Limp Bizkit until I heard "My Way" and realized that I was a sucker.

Modest Mouse and TV On The Radio fall into the Arcade Fire category of "liked what I heard, but not quite enough to listen to much else". Float On was a tune, as was TVOTR's version of Mr. Grieves. Never heard Andrew Jackson Jihad. Pink Floyd are terrible after the first couple of albums, and even then, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is, for the most part, a naive fumble compared to how much better Syd Barrett's solo stuff was.

It's quite funny, but "Float On" was a fucking BIIIIIG deal, which people forget. :( It was kicking about around the time of "Take Me Out" and that whole selection of indie breakthrough bands. Yeah it didn't quite have the mainstream appeal of those (only charted 46) but it got a sitload of play, including places you wouldn't expect (The Box and shit).

Actually, 'My Way' was probably their best song. And only because you can associate it with Wrestlemania X7.

The video package for Rock/Austin was epic that year.

Modest Mouse and TV On The Radio fall into the Arcade Fire category of "liked what I heard, but not quite enough to listen to much else". Float On was a tune, as was TVOTR's version of Mr. Grieves. Never heard Andrew Jackson Jihad. Pink Floyd are terrible after the first couple of albums, and even then, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is, for the most part, a naive fumble compared to how much better Syd Barrett's solo stuff was.

It's quite funny, but "Float On" was a fucking BIIIIIG deal, which people forget. :( It was kicking about around the time of "Take Me Out" and that whole selection of indie breakthrough bands. Yeah it didn't quite have the mainstream appeal of those (only charted 46) but it got a sitload of play, including places you wouldn't expect (The Box and shit).

Yeah, I was sneaking into Jersey's only "indie" club underage those days, and EVERYBODY was mad into it...I kind of remember Modest Mouse going almost overnight from a band to namedrop to just something you heard everywhere, then just as quickly vanishing until Johnny Marr popped up with them.

The fact that WrestleMania 17 was good does not exonerate "My Way," much in the same way that Evan Bourne and Chris Jericho having a good match at Fatal 4 Way does not exonerate TobyMac for dc Talk.

And anyway, the only PPV theme music/wrestling crossover that matters is Steve Austin and Undertaker being on the hiiiiiiighwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ta hell.

Feeder are boring as fuck.

Journey are a bloody horrendous band. They're so bad that even the Glee version of their song is an improvement.

Arcade Fire are tremendous. Amazing first album, fairly sturdy second album and a third that's holding up pretty strongly thus far. Also in all likelihood the best live band I've ever seen.

As for Aerosmith, I like Love In An Elevator for a laugh and that's about it.

I used to like Blink-182 but then I turned thirteen. Still alright to listen to every now and then but I can't imagine being able to endure a full album.

I don't really like the White Stripes aside from a few singles.

Modest Mouse's last album was lovely, one before that was nice but all prior are much of a muchness.

I like the odd Andrew Jackson Jihad song.

I like the first couple of Pink Floyd albums and a handful of other songs. Favourite Pink Floyd song is Learning To Fly. I am fully aware that it is shit but I still love it. >_>

I like Desperate Youth... by TVOTR but never realy got into any of their others.

Limp Bizkit are a new low.

45. FOUR YEAR STRONG (108pts - 4 votes)

large_four-year-strong.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: n/a

STUDIO ALBUMS: 4

QUALITY VIDEO:

44. FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH (111pts - 3 votes)

five-finger-death-punch-back.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 2

I'M GONNA TAKE A SHOT IN THE DARK HERE: ...I'm presuming I wont like these guys? I don't think I'd ever enjoy anything referred to as "Groove Metal".

43. SLAYER (112pts - 4 votes)

Slayer.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 11

HOWEVER: I can somewhat get behind Slayer

42. MARINA & THE DIAMONDS (112pts - 4 votes)

Marina++the+Diamonds+marina3.jpgMarina++the+Diamonds+l_c1031167fc3741c698fd3fc9b6cb.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 1

OH MARINA! :wub: : YOU'VE GOT BEDTIME EYES AND YOU BAT 'EM LIKE A HERO, AND TO NO SURPRISE, YOU JUST KILL ME, KILL ME, SOMETIMES!

41. ALICE IN CHAINS (116pts - 4 votes)

alice-in-chains-then1.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 29

STUDIO ALBUMS: 4

ALICE (ALICE)!?!: WHO THE FUCK IS ALICE?!?!

Three bands I have never heard of, a band from a genre that I respectfully don't care about, and the band that ranks third out of the big four grunge bands for me (Pearl Jam is dead last as I realize more and more that I don't like Pearl Jam, I just like "Evenflow" and "Do the Evolution"). I do kind of want to give Alice in Chains a serious listen. What album should I start at? I'm looking at you, TheModernWay.

Oh and yes I also voted for FFDP & AIC. Discovered FFDP just before Xmas when I was angry and listened to them a lot. I wouldn't call them 'groove metal' though personally. Genres are so pathetic these days. War is the Answer is probably my favourite album of 2009, even beating Pearl Jam's and AIC's albums, and definitely that Timbaland produced Chris Cornell pipe.

And I honestly feel that AIC's latest (Black Gives Way to Blue) is their best, as much as I prefer Layne Staley's work. AIC should've been higher on account of awesome beards:

331ory1.jpg

Marina & the Diamonds are balls, but she's fucking hawt.

Edited by TheModernWay