EWB's Favourite Bands 2010: The Results

YI

Come Out And Play, incidentally, being the only Offspring song I can stomach. Thrice and Reel Big Fish are shit. Rob Zombie has a couple of good songs, and a thousand songs that sound like his good songs but aren't. He's mostly quite boring.

Killswitch Engage - Absolutely adored the first two albums at the time ("My Last Serenade" is still ridiculously huge). Much like 36 Crazyfists, despite 'outgrowing' them, I still tend to get their newest releases (still haven't got Killwitch's from last year though). Prefer the older singer.

Against Me! - The 2nd to last album, their first on a major was so fucking awful it was ridiculous. The new one's a bit of an improvement, but when you put it up against "...Axl Rose", "...Eternal Cowboy" and "...Former Clarity" it's a hunk of shit. You know the "Major label sellout" shit is often a load of bollocks totally overblown out of proportion, and not something that I'm normally bothered about, but Tom Gabel fishing for a major deal and then pandering to a major label and then trying to maintain it has totally fucking ruined what the band.

Leonard Cohen - Honestly don't know enough to make a judgement.

Bob Dylan - Only have a few albums, which are his 'obvious' ones, but I really like. However, I doubt I'll ever really delve further into him, because where the fuck do you start with 34 albums, it's the Mountain Goats curse.

The National - Fucking love The National. Only heard of them with the release of "Boxer", but quickly went back and picked up their earlier stuff. The first two albums are okay, but it was only "Alligator" and "Boxer" where they really came into their own. Their new one "High Violet" is amazing. Honestly cannot give this band enough love, so morose yet melodic and lyrically brilliant.

The Clash - Everyone's got to love a bit of The Clash. Whether it's a drunken sing-song to "Rock The Casbah" or chilling out working your way through "Sandinista!".

Counting Crows - Were a band I'd totally forgotten about...now I remember that one song they did...and it was shit.

Alestorm - Don't know, but it does look like a 6th form drama group doign "Pirates Of The Caribbean".

Billy Talent - Their last album was drizzling shits. The 2nd one's the best, and I still listen to it occasionally. The first one has a few tracks I like to visit too. Like the singer's voice and musically they were fucking tight on the 2nd album (and boring as shit on the 3rd, too many slow songs). I band I like, but don't love, if that makes sense.

City & Colour - I can really get behind Alexisonfire, but I really struggle with City & Colour. I respect the fact he actually writes acoustic tracks, instead of just writing rock songs and playing them acoustically, like a lot of these acoustic side-projects degenerate into...I just don't find many of his songs to be 'that good'.

The Offspring - Much like Green Day, I never had time for Offspring...however I've found myself getting sort of 'nostalgically attatched' to a few songs in the last few years, which is weird, as I never fucking used to like the songs..."Want You Bad", "The Kids Aren't Alright", "Why Don't You Get A Job?" etc. I had a period where I tried to get into to their older stuff after hearing it was 'so good'. It was okay, but after computers dying and shit, I've never got around to getting the albums again, and honestly...I never will.

Thrice - For a long time, Thrice were a band I was aware of, but never fully delved into. I knew odd songs, but they didn't capture my attention like FFAF, Hell Is For Heroes etc did. I'm not totally against the change in direction, but that might be because of the fact I was never a massive fan. It's funny though that they've been 'this band' just as long now as they were in their old style. "Vheissu" is actually a cracking album, and I loved the atmospheric ones (Water & Air I think) on the EP-series...the new one was just fucking boring though.

Rob Zombie - Not my thing.

Reel Big Fish - Get me drunk and play "Sell Out"/"Take On Me"/"Beer"/"Monkey Man"/"She Has A Girlfriend Now" and I'll dance about like a fucking idiot. However sober, not a band I can particularly stomach (outside of the first two tracks)...I can at least cope with Less Than Jake albums...well the good ones.

Jones is definitely a better singer, and The End of Heartache is my favorite album of theirs(with Alive or Just Breathing at a very close second), but I agree that Jesse was a lot of the heart and soul of the band, which has been lost a little on each subsequent albums(I definitely prefer Leach to Jones). I always find a few songs to enjoy off the new albums, but nothing like the aforementioned albums since I can actually listen to them all the way through without skipping a track.

another-level-be-alone-no-more-405323.jpg

69. MICHAEL JACKSON (56pts - 2 votes)

michaeljackson-gal-before.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 12

STUDIO ALBUMS: 10

IF YOU WANNA MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE, TAKE A LOOK AT YOURSELF AND MAKE A......: (KEY) CHANGE!!!!

69. ELVIS COSTELLO (56pts - 2 votes)

Elvis+Costello.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: n/a

STUDIO ALBUMS: 33

TALLY OF ARTISTS MY DAD LIKES: 3

69. BAD RELIGION (56pts - 2 votes)

bad_religion.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 14

FUCK WHAT PEOPLE SAY: "Into The Unknown" is bloody brilliant, and the best thing they've fucking done

68. PUDDLE OF MUDD (57pts - 3 votes)

Puddle+of+Mudd+puddle450.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 4

YOU CANNOT BE FUCKING SERIOUS: ...

67. STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO (57pts - 3 votes)

Streetlight+Manifesto+streetlightmanifesto.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 45

STUDIO ALBUMS: 4

FUCK IT! THANK YOU!: I LOVE YOU ALL!

66. QUEEN (57pts - 3 votes)

queen-20080506-409009.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 8

STUDIO ALBUMS: 14

BRING BACK! BRING BACK!: BRING BACK THAT LEROY BROWN!

Edited by YI

I was like "Oh hey, Michael Jackson and Elvis Costello? This is probably a good --" and then I saw Puddle of Mudd. For fuck's sake. I also find Bad Religion to be pretty boring, but I haven't listened to a song of theirs in years. I think Queen are overrated in the grand scheme of things but whatever, they've made songs I really like, and I'm sure Skummy will have his vitriolic Queen rant at the ready.

I heard your music selection the first time I met you, with your whiny bitch emo screamo bands. Fuck off and take some estrogen tablets and moan about how your mother wants you to tidy your room.

I don't mind tidying up in the bedroom, certainly have fun while tidying up with your mum....

HI-YOOOOOOOO!