EWB's Favourite Bands 2010: The Results

YI

I guess I don't listen to everything, but I'm willing to listen to anything, that's what I meant to type. In all honesty I'm looking to expand my collection, so I need a CD's worth of suggestions from the following people in PM if they wouldn't mind:

Metalman

Sousa

YI

Ollie

GoGo

And anyone else really. You can just give a random list of artists, or actual songs to check out.

I pretty much just listen to stuff your dad likes. :shifty:

Here's my list for reference:

1. Ryan Adams

2. James Taylor

3. Belle & Sebastian

4. The Beatles

5. Josh Rouse

6. Bob Dylan

7. Neil Young

8. David Bowie

9. Prince

10. Miles Davis

11. The Smiths

12. Steely Dan

13. The Jimi Hendrix Experience

14. Death Cab For Cutie

15. Marina & the Diamonds

...yeah

I like 7 of those artists, heard of all of them except 2(Josh Rouse, Marina and the Diamonds), and of the ones I didn't like, it's only because I haven't heard enough of their music to know if I do or not. My dad's favorite is the Rolling Stones, and I got to see them in concert a few years back, was a great time.

But yeah, just PM me some stuff, I don't want to hijack the favorite bands thread :shifty:

Yes, just because I voted for such and such bands clearly means I've never heard any jazz, classical, Swedish pop rock, country, or any other genre besides the ones I voted for. I was asked to list my 15 top bands, and these are bands that I will listen to over and over again. It's just my personal music preference, and although Lamb of God is my 3rd favorite band ever, I realize that they have no place to be in the top 10, let alone the top 50 or 100. If this list were the Top 100 bands based on merits, worldwide popularity, contribution to music, and so forth, my list would have been WAY different(there would have been none of my metal bands on that list). It's not though, it's my favorite 15 bands, and besides the top 5 or so, they're going to change year to year. I have a hard time because I listen to EVERYTHING(and I mean everything), and it's hard for me to say "oh yeah, this band will always be my 6th favorite" or whatnot.

You really don't get how this game is played.

I wish I'd put Howlin' Wolf on my list. I doubt I could've gotten anybody else behind Howlin' Wolf, though.

That's never stopped me from putting the pillows at 2 every year, despite the fact that I stopped talking others into doing the same years ago.

Anyway, yeah, give me a place to start and I'll see what I can do. My taste in music is sort of a mix of jazz, Japanese rock (am I right in recalling you liking one of the songs by the pillows I linked to one time? I made metalman a mix, I can try and unearth that one), hip-hop and girly pop-rock. Also The Beatles but unless you wanted recommendations on differing subsections of their music that aren't the major hits I can't imagine that's really all that informative.

My list this year was this, for reference's sake;

1. The Beatles

2. the pillows

3. Gorillaz

4. Ben Folds Five

5. The Velvet Underground

6. Miles Davis

7. that dog.

8. The Cardigans

9. Blur

10. Mirah

11. Art Brut

12. Lupe Fiasco

13. XTC

14. The Clash

15. Belle and Sebastian

Oh J-Rock is great, I just don't know any names of artists to check out besides what I hear out of animes(which isn't all that much.) And yeah, The Beatles is number one on my list, have been, always will be.

And I'd love to see some of the mixes if you can find them.

EDIT: Also, I know a lot of classical composers/jazz and swing artists/etc, seeing as how I was a music major. I might actually get to see Jupiter by Holst live again in a week.

I honestly think I have a better chance to finding a cure for diabetes than figuring out EWB's music tastes. Two pages of bitching about Stone Temple Pilots even being on the list while The Offspring comes in at 75? Really? STP's not the greatest band of all time or anything, but I would listen to their worst album on loop for the rest of my life before I listened to anything Offspring put out after 1995.

And :wub: for Florence & The Machine... literally the only new act I've discovered in the last year that I've actually enjoyed.

I honestly think I have a better chance to finding a cure for diabetes than figuring out EWB's music tastes. Two pages of bitching about Stone Temple Pilots even being on the list while The Offspring comes in at 75? Really? STP's not the greatest band of all time or anything, but I would listen to their worst album on loop for the rest of my life before I listened to anything Offspring put out after 1995.

This is because EWB's got no self esteem to mock it.

I would listen to their worst album on loop for the rest of my life before I listened to anything Offspring put out after 1995.

I agree. When it comes to those time periods of their music, you've gotta keep 'em separated.

• Like 1