EWB's Favourite Bands 2010: The Results

YI

God, NOFX? Is this Ruki's fault?

New Order has songs I like but I've never delved into their discography, Tom Waits I'm in the same group as YI about. Still waiting for an artist I legitimately like to show up.

Tom Waits - One of my friends was really into him at college, but I never 'got' Tom Waits. I couldn't describe how until Steven Wells - god bless Skummy for raising awareness of this man. Wish I knew about him while he was still alive - nailed it:

One day Waits will fess up that he only started the drunk-at-the-piano act as a joke. And was stunned when people took it seriously. And by the time he became sick of pretending to be pissed all the time, it was too late, he was trapped. A bit like that bloke who pretended to be mad so he could be repatriated from the TV version of Colditz and (spoiler alert!) eventually went bonkers for real. "Gentlemen, I absolutely forbid any more escape attempts of this nature." My point exactly.

No opinion on the others. My music taste is evidently sheltered.

I agree with the 'Florence is either a munt or hot, no middle ground' argument.

And I forgot how much I hate these threads. Too much 'woe is me' style posting about how the bands that everyone else votes for are shit. I blame metalman :shifty:

As for thoughts, it ranges from bands I like a bit (Stone Temple Pilots for their 'Greatest Hits' primarily, Florence and The Machine, A Perfect Circle), to stuff that I've not really heard (NOFX, Mumford And Sons), to acts that I've always wanted to check out more of, but not got around to it (Motorhead, Tom Waits). Nothing I'd have really gone out on a limb to vote for, outside of maybe Florence And The Machine, and that goes on the 'recent music I've listened to a fair bit' vote more than anything.

• Like 1

Stone Temple Pilots - I always get them confused with the Cooper Temple Clause, for some reason. Probably because they both have really shitty names that look as though they're just three random words thrown together with little to no reference point (See also: Taking Back Sunday, Ocean Colour Scene, Neutral Milk Hotel (although they're kinda forgiven for actually being good, whereas the others are all balls)). Also Cooper Temple Clause had a song called Blind Pilots which was a pretty awesome song, and just furthers my confusion between the bands. I remember the music video was really freaky too, I think a bloke turned into a goat or something and ended up fucking a lot of satanist chicks, but yeah, it was a good song.

Judas Priest - I'M YOUR TURBO LOVER! BETTER RUN FOR COVER! There's not enough songs about how good being a rapist is.

Florence & The Machine - I would. Without doubt or hesitation. Not big into her music though. It's not offensive by any means, but yeah, it's just there.

A Perfect Circle - Never listened to them. Likely never will.

Coheed & Cambria - I echo the thoughts of a few others in here. Some of the songs are lush, others are wanky, pretentious dribble.

Lamb Of God - Never listen to them. Likely never will.

Tenacious D - Shit.

Mumford & Sons - Eh, that one song's pretty good. Not really heard anything else. Same vein as good ol' Florence. Unoffensive, listenable, but far from mind-blowing.

Motorhead - I've always wanted to get into Motorhead, but I've always failed. Miserably. They're a good band, and I appreciate them, but I've just always found it hard to really get involved.

Brand New - Deja Entendu is huge. Reminds me of being 13 in the best possible way. Everything else is hit and miss. There's a couple songs on Devil & God and the one before Deja Entendu (can't recall the name), and I don't think I ever actually listened to Daisy. Nostalgic, but again, far from mind-blowing. Also, I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere or if it's just here, but holy shit they're so horrendously overrated. I know so many people who consider them the be all and end all of music, but they're not. Not even close.

NOFX - I had a NOFX album once. It was fairly balls. Couple songs are alright, but eh, not for me.

The Lucksmiths - Oh I adore the Lucksmiths. They are just beautiful. They remind me of The Wedding Present if Gedge cheered the fuck up and stopped being such a miserable bastard all the time.

Mew - Pretentious guitar wankery. But in a wonderful way. Me and Dragsy were in a Pop Prom tag team called the Mew-Two because of our love for Mew (and the fact there were two of us). Mew are glorious. Haven't listened to them in an age, mind.

New Order - :wub: Favourite band of all time? Favourite band of all time.

Tom Waits - For no man.

85. KILLSWITCH ENGAGE (48pts - 2 votes)

Killswitch-Engage.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 39

STUDIO ALBUMS: 5

...: I still haven't listened to that 'new album'

84. AGAINST ME! (48pts - 2 votes)

06_againstme_lg-752277.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: n/a

...EVELYN!!!: I'M NOT COMING HOME TONIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!

another-level-be-alone-no-more-405323.jpg

82. LEONARD COHEN (48pts - 2 votes)

leonard-cohen.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 11

TALLY OF ARTISTS MY DAD LIKES: 2

82. BOB DYLAN (48pts - 2 votes)

bob-dylan-old.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 64

STUDIO ALBUMS: 34

I POSTED THIS LAST YEAR TOO, BUT FRANKLY IT'S HILARIOUS: http://www.clashmusic.com/news/bob-dylan-police-drama

81. THE NATIONAL (48pts - 3 votes)

the_national.jpg

COVER ME IN RAG AND BONE SYMPATHY: Cos I don't wanna get over you, I don't wanna get over you

80. THE CLASH (48pts - 3 votes)

the-clash1.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 6

AND THIS WAS THE SOUND: Of the very last gang in town!

79. COUNTING CROWS (50pts - 2 votes)

counting_crows_3.jpg

SOMETHING: Something

78. ALESTORM (50pts - 2 votes)

alestorm.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 2

A 6TH FORM DRAMA GROUP PRESENTATION OF: Pirates Of The Caribbean

77. BILLY TALENT (50pts - 2 votes)

070116-billy-talent.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 3

THE GUITARIST'S HAIR REALLY FUCKING BOTHERS ME: ...

76. CITY & COLOUR (54pts - 2 votes)

04-DallasGreen.JPG

STUDIO ALBUMS: 2

RECENTLY PLAYED UP HERE: ...supporting Pink, on an ARENA TOUR...WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!

ALESTORM!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

Killswtich, Dylan and The Clash are/were great. Billy Talent have a few cool tracks.

But, yeah, Alestorm makes this list!

I blame metalman :shifty:

But I like doing it! :(

anyways...

I do not like Killswitch Engage.

I like one Against Me song. I do not like the rest.

Bob Dylan is brilliant and one of my favourites ever.

Leonard Cohen is also amazing. I was listening to SOL&H yesterday funnily enough.

The National are quite nice.

I like the first three Clash albums. The other three are messy.

Counting Crows - didn't realise we had so many housewives on here.

Alestorm - this person I know went to see them live. He likes shitty music so I shall assume the same about Alestorm. Sorry Alestorm. They do look cool though.

I used to rather like Billy Talent. I'm nowhere near as interested in them now as I used to be but I'll still give Try Honesty and River Below the odd play.

I have never heard of City and Colour and I am not interested. I quite like Alexisonfire but something tells me City and Colour will be wanky.

Alestorm - this person I know went to see them live. He likes shitty music so I shall assume the same about Alestorm. Sorry Alestorm. They do look cool though.

:angry:

• Like 1