EWB's Favourite Bands 2010: The Results

YI

Who the fuck is Mike Snow?

Miike Snow are 3-guys from Sweden who released a fairly quality/chill electro-pop album last year, after being around years under various guises writing straight up pop songs for other acts (Britney Spears - "Toxic", "Do Something" etc, Madonna, Rachel Stephens - "Sweet Dreams My LA Ex", Christina Millian - "AM to PM" (what a tune) etc.). Their album's actually a really good listen. The gloss has went off it from last year, but I still flick a few tracks on every now and then, and like I said for Florence & The Machine, would probably fall in my top 25-albums for last year.

Miike Snow are awesome. I can't remember how I first heard of them because I don't do much in the way of searching out new music - it might have been my recommendations on Last.fm, which I check from time to time. But I love their album and put them fairly high on my list. A sizeable part of my list has only released one album, because I get bored of listening to the same stuff over and over. I think I'll search out some of the bands I haven't listened to much before and get an album or two each, apart from the shitty metal stuff obviously. My tastes are so pop orientated now compared to what they used to be that it's ridiculous.

One of the members of Reuben looks a bit like an emo Jimmy Bullard. Brilliant.

But yeah, Reuben, Smashing Pumpkins and Deftones all work enough for me, plus earlier Dizzee Rascal is good enough.

Oh, and yeah, kinda agree with Skummy on Arctic Monkeys. Quite liked the early stuff, but outside of the odd song now, not really into their newer stuff.

Edited by Liam

55. JOURNEY (81pts - 3 votes)

journey.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: n/a

STUDIO ALBUMS: 13

FUCKING SERIOUSLY?!?: ANYWAY YOU WANT IT! THAT'S THE WAY YOU NEED IT! ANYWAY YOU WANT IT!

54. ARCADE FIRE (81pts - 3 votes)

10-arcade-fire.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 3

EVERYTIME YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES!: LII-IIIEEES! LII-IIIEEES!

53. AEROSMITH (81pts - 3 votes)

steven+tyler+%26+moe+-+aerosmith+the+simpsons.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 14

LIV TYLER SO FINE!: I'D SUCK HER DADDY'S DICK!

52. BLINK-182 (92pts - 4 votes)

simpsons_blink182_bart.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 89

STUDIO ALBUMS: 5

FUCK BLINK! THE ANGELS & AIRWAVES FILM IS APPARENTLY FINISHED!: "Tom shared a bit of the plot of the movie on ModCam, saying that the astronaut goes through a wormhole and meets God"...OH...MY...GOD! I hope Tom Delonge plays the part of God.

51. THE WHITE STRIPES (93pts - 3 votes)

20080515_201391.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 6

YOU CAN'T BE A PIMP & A PROSTITUTE TOO: ...well she can't be your ex-wife and your sister too

The White Stripes are good. The Arcade Fire isn't my cup of tea precisely but their cover of "Brazil" is divine. The other three? Uh. No way out, no way out, no way out...

(I enjoy "Last Child" by Aerosmith despite myself, though)

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Aside from Journey (who I slightly liked before they were popular for Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' and Any Way You Want It, but now find overhyped to shit), that was a good five. Arcade Fire are great.

• Like 1

I blame Glee a million times over for Journey being popular again. Funny thing is, Don't Stop Believin' is one of their shittier songs in a long list of shitty songs.

That said, I totally marked out when I saw White Stripes. Best band yet.

Jonas Brothers to win, though. :shifty:

Journey and Aerosmith are both great (especially live), The White Stripes have some cool tunes too. Arcade Fire are okay. Blink-182 were/are fun but vastly overrated (I personally prefer both Offspring and Green Day for pop-punky goodness).

Journey are fucking awful, we don't need "ironic" revivals of shitty old songs, there are plenty of bands making shitty new songs as it is.

I actually don't really know The Arcade Fire. I just never really bothered - everybody was into them when they first came out, I never got round to listening to more than one or two songs. A track off the new album sounded good on the radio. Never bothered more than that.

Aerosmith are bollocks.

Blink 182 are one of my least favourite bands in the world. Pop-punk awfulness, again.

The White Stripes are nice. They're nothing amazing, but they're a good live band, and have a lot of great tunes. Probably don't deserve anything like the amount of success and acclaim they actually got, but that's all subjective. Would probably be universally adored by hipsters everywhere if they never "made it big".

55. Journey

And you guys mock me for Puddle of Mudd. :shifty: Regardless of that...

FUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFFFUCKOFF JOURNEY. FUCK.

Others I dislike too, although a week or so ago I re-fell-in-love with "I Miss You" by Blink the only song I like by them.

Puddle of Mudd is a band that got its big break by slipping a demo tape to Fred Durst, who then insisted that they get signed, so that pretty much takes care of them forever. When your band wouldn't have a record deal were it not for the intervention of the worst musician of our generation, then you don't get a seat at the table.