EWB's Favourite Bands 2010: The Results

YI

Jacko was great, Costello has some tunes, Puddle of Mudd were fun (if extremely set in their ways/limited), not heard enough Streetlight to have an opinion.

And Queen being outside the top 10, let alone the top 50 is just silly.

65. BON JOVI (60pts - 2 votes)

Bon+Jovi.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: n/a

STUDIO ALBUMS: 11

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII WILL LOVE YOOOOOUUUUUUU...BAAAAAAABYYYYYY: ALLLLLLLLLLLLWAAAAAAAYYYYYYS!

64. KANYE WEST (60pts - 3 votes)

kanye-west-dead.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 18

STUDIO ALBUMS: 4

I ONCE GOT DRUNK AT A PARTY: and did a fantastic, if choppy, rendition of "Homecoming" on a stylophone

63. DIZZEE RASCAL (66pts - 3 votes)

dizzee_rascal_AF_l290409.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 83

TALLY OF ARTISTS MY DAD LIKES: 4

62. THE SMASHING PUMPKINS (66pts - 3 votes)

the-smashing-pumpkins-the-simpsons.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 64

STUDIO ALBUMS: 7 (8)

ROCK ME!: ROCK ME AMADEUS!

61. DEFTONES (72pts - 3 votes)

045-deftones.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 91

STUDIO ALBUMS: 6

JUST COS SHE DANCES GO-GO: IT DON'T MAKE HER A HO, NO

Edited by YI

60. MIIKE SNOW (72pts - 3 votes)

Miike%2BSnow.jpg

STUDIO ALBUMS: 1

NO WE WONT...BACK DOWN FROM ANYTHING: IN SEARCH OF A REMEDY

59. ARCTIC MONKEYS (72pts - 3 votes)

arcticmonkeys.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 51

STUDIO ALBUMS: 3

YOU'RE NOT FROM NEW YORK CITY: YOU'RE FROM ROTHERHAM!

58. SHINEDOWN (75pts - 3 votes)

shinedown.jpg

RANDOM SONG TIME!: THIS IS A SONG ABOUT SUSAN! THIS IS A SONG ABOUT THE GIRL NEXT DOOR!

57. THE WEAKERTHANS (78pts - 3 votes)

The+Weakerthans.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 78

I'M DOWN 12-POINTS AND THEY'RE SELLING, THE GRAPHS IN THE BOARDROOM SHOW, BY THE TIME THAT THE MARKET OPENS IN TOKYO...I'LL BE WORTHLESS: So what I'm trying to say...I mean what I'm asking is...I know we haven't talked in a while......but...could you come get me? :wub:

56. REUBEN (78pts - 3 votes)

reuben-new-3-print.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 34

MY NAME IS FREDDY KREUGER: and I've got the Elm Street Blues

Edited by YI

Bon Jovi & The Smashing Pumpkins are both good to great, dependent on song. The Arctic Monkeys are overrated pap.

The rest I either do not know, or are heavily meh.

I like the Smashing Pumpkins, but mainly only the Melloncollie album. Corgan's voice is a little whiny.

Love Shinedown, they sit at #3 in my all-time Last.FM list, and were in the top #5 for this.

Recently discovered Reuben and love them, if I had more time with them I may've voted them.

I can't decide if I like the Deftones or not. I got a couple of songs and like them, but not enough to really seek out more stuff. Maybe I will soon.

And yes, I voted for Puddle Of Mudd.

• Like 1

I don't like Michael Jackson. I never especially liked Michael Jackson. He did a couple of alright pop songs, but there's nothing he has ever done that strikes me as a genuine classic, and not a single one of his songs which I couldn't point you towards the same thing being done better by somebody else, usually Prince.

Elvis Costello's good, though I don't have nearly enough of his music. At his best, he's written some of my favourite songs, at his worst he can be pretty cringeworthy, and I've never really picked up more than a couple of albums, but he's good.

I only really know two or three Bad Religion songs. One of them was okay, the other two were boring. Never made me feel like listening to more.

Puddle Of Mudd are just fucking dross. Jesus fuck rock music was terrible for most of the last decade.

Streetlight Manifesto are a band I had a few songs by, thought were quite fun, but would probably never listen to all that often.

*insert Queen rant here*. Sousa pretty much pre-empted my response, and I just don't have it in me to really get as worked up about music as I used to. I wish I could, it's a lot of fun. Basically, after the first couple of albums, they're mostly bollocks. The only even half-way good thing they did after Sheer Heart Attack was Tie Your Mother Down, which was better when covered by Lemmy, and loses out due to the fact that it's on the same album as Somebody To Love and fucking Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy. I could discuss this further, or else you could dig out any other thread when Queen got mentioned to save me from edging nearer to suffering my inevitable stress-induced stroke.

Bon Jovi are dross. Responsible for the pussying up of rock music, and for making radio-friendly tripe that makes my ears hurt.

I genuinely don't think I've ever actually heard Kanye West.

Don't like Dizzee Rascal. At all. Think he's bloody dreadful.

Smashing Pumpkins are a bit meh. I liked them when I was fifteen. When you're supposed to like Smashing Pumpkins. After that, it's all a bit cringeworthy listening to sixth form poetry lyrics being screamed by a bald manchild.

Deftones are boring.

Who the fuck is Mike Snow?

Can't stand Arctic Monkeys. One or two good songs early on, then disappeared up their own arses, while at the same time encouraging a thousand posh pub covers band to start singing in the worst Sheffield accents imaginable. Just shit.

Shinedown? Pah.

Honestly, I should probably listen to The Weakerthans. At least once.

Reuben are one of those bands who I listen to a few songs by, think "fuck, yeah, these guys rule", then don't listen to them for six months. Repeat. Also, the guy from Hundred Reasons' shirt.

Okay, bunch of dudes I have no opinion on whatsoever or mild disdain for for the most part in those last two updates. Miike Snow opened for Art Brut on their (first) North American tour last year, and I thought they were pleasant enough but I wasn't really expecting them to become the indy darlings they're ascending into being now. And Kanye West is awesome, both in his music and his insane, grandiose proclamations. Plus his Twitter account is intermittently hysterical (see: Friday night, where he was apparently partying with Swedish girls and he let them do updates for him. In Swedish).

EDIT: Oh wait, Smashing Pumpkins! I enjoy Smashing Pumpkins when Billy Corgan isn't trying to be deep and angsty ("AND GOD IS EMPTY JUST. LIKE. ME."). When it's songs like "Tonight Tonight" or "Today" they're a pretty solid '90s band. As for Bon Jovi... uh. It's good they exist because their songs are good Rock Band fodder.