EWB's Favourite Bands 2010: The Results

YI

Yeah, the Foo Fighters' output in the last eight years has been mostly dull. I can think of like... three songs off of In Your Honor that I genuinely enjoy, but they've basically just turned into bad stadium rock (instead of good stadium rock). Dave Grohl should just do Them Crooked Vultures (also good stadium rock) full-time.

I'd actually be fine with the Foo Fighters as just a touring band at this point, too. They have enough good songs that I wouldn't mind seeing them, but I'm afraid it's going to be a thing like Weezer where I keep putting off seeing them and the more I do, the more awful new albums they have to play songs for.

Vampire Weekend are alright but they've never really set my world on fire.

Disturbed are beyond horrible.

I like most Nirvana music. But I just like it because it is catchy tunes. I don't really read into it or idolise Kurt Cobain in the way some others do.

The Smiths are fantastic. I voted them pretty highly I think.

I don't like Dropkick Murphys

I don't think a great deal of Bruce Springsteen. He's always a bit too bombastic for my liking. Even in Nebraska, which is supposed to be a more stripped back album, you can hear him howling away in the background of Atlantic City. It actually ruins a very good song.

Foo Fighters are just there. They're perfectly decent listening. I would never listen to an album but their Greatest Hits is pretty tasty.

AC/DC are one of the best live bands ever. They're not clever but they're certainly big.

Megadeth aren't my cup of tea.

A Wilhelm Scream are okay, but they aren't all that okay.

It's a shame that Nirvana weren't above Foo Fighters. It's not that I dislike the Foo's, but I just find them overly bland. Back when Wheels came out, it kept on coming on the one good radio station for rock music in this area, and got old fast. I wasn't overly keen on Them Crooked Vultures either, album just went on forever. But we all know that Dave Grohl is the nicest of nice guys.

Nirvana however are starting to really blow me away (again). You all know I'm a HUGE grunge fan and Nirvana opened the door to Soundgarden, AIC & Pearl Jam, and their greatest hits album (the plain black "Nirvana" released in 2002) is probably one of the greatest of greatest hits albums as it shows all sides of the band. BUt having listened to all of Nevermind within the last month for the first time: wow. I'm starting to notice new things about them, like for instance, Grohl's drumming is really extraordinary on some songs (eg. In Bloom) and really stands out, and I'm not really a great fan of the drums.

Vampire Weekend? They do that "OI OI OI!" song that was on the Inbetweeners, right? Fucking pipe.

Disturbed: once upon a time I 'liked' them, but now, not so much. Every now and then I bust out their cover of Land of Confusion though.

The Boss: Legend, though I don't really listen to much of him.

I just can't get into Megadeth, or any of the other 3 of the big thrash four besides Metallica. I'm not sure why, but I think part of it with Megadeth is just that to me Mustaine sounds/looks like a miserable, whiny prick when has to keep reminding everyone that he "was in Metallica once". Even besides that, what I've heard doesn't hold my attention.

AC/DC are odd to me. I'm not overly fussed by them, but if someone asked me if I liked them, I'd say yes (much like the Foos in that respect). I go long periods without listening to any AC/DC (all I have is Black Ice and random main songs), then come back listen to some over about a week and wash, rinse, repeat.

Yeah, Bleach is incredible. I think it's the only studio album that really captures their sound...seriously, fuck Butch Vig and Andy Wallace.

Oh, and I know a hell of a lot of grunge fans that would lynch you for saying "Nirvana opened the doors for Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains". I love AiC, but they really have nothing to do with "grunge", and Pearl Jam are pretty much the anti-Nirvana.

Yeah, I meant that for me personally, rather than on a path to fame if it wasn't clear. Getting to know Nirvana lead to me their "similar artists" on Last.FM and whatnot. Personally, I sort of see grunge as more of a time period/location (somewhat like Motown in that sense), as opposed to a specific genre. Because when you compare the main four, there isn't really that much either of them have in common (in fact Nirvana may be considered the 'outsiders' of the group given that AIC, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were all friends and involved with each other). Nirvana are heavy on the "fuck this" and beat the shit out of the guitar, AIC had their doom and gloom metal, Soundgarden are sort of more psychedelic, classic metal style and Pearl Jam to me have now just become a flat-out rock band, out-growing the grunge label. I hope that makes sense.

I also support the Chocolate Starfish DP. :shifty:

Edited by TheModernWay

25. GREEN DAY (212pts - 4 votes)

Green+Day+y1pVD4ys7iV5V5SI5YEqGTx0o32ZLc.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 43

STUDIO ALBUMS: 8

24. STRUNG OUT (212pts - 4 votes)

Strung+Out.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 16

STUDIO ALBUMS: 8

23. RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS (216pts - 4 votes)

ArtistRedHotChiliPeppers.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: n/a

STUDIO ALBUMS: 9

22. IRON MAIDEN (220pts - 5 votes)

iron-maiden.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 30

STUDIO ALBUMS: 14

21. BEN FOLDS [FIVE] (220pts - 5 votes)

ben_folds-fooled-you.jpg

PLACE LAST YEAR: 28

STUDIO ALBUMS: 6

TALLY OF ARTISTS MY DAD LIKES: 6

*waits for another Green Day discussion*

Oh well, I'll just start it myself.

No freakin' way should they be this high. And that's from someone who actually likes most of their stuff. Although their new album is terrible.

Strung Out are fine.

I used to hate RHCP except for a few songs, but I really love them now. Great band.

Iron Maiden are just classic. They've got a lot of great songs.

Never even heard of Ben Folds [Five]

Green Day, don't care for them on record, like them live.

Strung Out are good fun.

RHCP get nothing from me but venom nowadays, don't care how goo dtheir songs are, when i saw them live at Leeds festival in 2007, they were so bad it has turned me in to an Anti-RHCP guy since, and that annoys me as I did like a number of their songs.

Maiden, good live, never really given them the chance on record to make an impression on me.

Ben Folds is/are fine.

Green Day pre-American Idiot were a good singles band, now I just find them completely insufferable. Strung Out, no opinion. RHCP have a couple good songs but mostly I just find them to be very bland. Maiden, see every comment I've made about my ambivalence towards metal prior. Ben Folds Five were fantastic, Ben Folds' work since that has veered from inspired to boring, but I think it's more on the boring side now (best thing I've heard out of him in like the last three years is his cover of "In Between Days" by The Cure). Still great as a live act, though.