The Scottish Football thread

METALMAN

I dont have any strong opinion on him myself but its ridiculous to see celtic fans cry about him being from a farmers league with no European experience when Eddie Howe has....how many champions league games under his belt?

5 hours ago, Kaney said:

I dont have any strong opinion on him myself but its ridiculous to see celtic fans cry about him being from a farmers league with no European experience when Eddie Howe has....how many champions league games under his belt?

The J.League would PUMP the SPL.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Leigh Griffiths was sent home from Celtic’s pre-season training camp after police began an investigation into online activity.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “We have been made aware of social media content. We are making inquiries and assessing for criminality.”

Griffiths did not feature in Ange Postecoglou’s first friendly as manager when Celtic beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-1 in Newport on Wednesday.

A Celtic spokesperson told several media outlets: “We have been made aware of online comments concerning Leigh Griffiths. The club will now look into this matter carefully. Leigh has left the training camp as we do this. It would not be appropriate to make any further comment at this time.”

Celtic took up a one-year option on the 30-year-old striker’s contract last week after his future had been in doubt.

• 5 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Triple H will be devastated.

Ironically, they are VINCE-ible.

I thought they might rest for the big Malmo game, but no...squad looked pretty strong on paper, they just got edged out and didn't score.

I wonder if Gerrard can deal with a speedbump.

• 2 months later...

Ibrox is quite sombre tonight.

For some perspective, Smith is the last man to lead Rangers to a European final (UEFA Cup) and were unbeaten in the Champions League in 93 under him. I'd argue that Souness' titles won as Rangers manager should probably be attributed to Smith as well, since Souness was still playing or being a prat and getting suspended, so Smith was always in the dugout, essentially being manager. He was also there for 9 league titles in a row (matching Celtic's record), and almost completed 10 in a row (went to the final day of the 97/98 season, Celtic winning the league by 2 points). I'd argue Smith's run in the 90s was Rangers best run in history.

It's hard to explain how loved he is here, and it has nothing to do with sectarian nonsense. Both his runs as manager were highly successful, and he always stopped to speak to people. Almost every single person I know who supports Rangers has a photo with Walter in various places. He loved the club and everyone that was part of it.

His influence on Rangers and Scottish football will be missed.

• Like 2

Sorry for the double post, I'm actually amazed Ally McCoist is able to compose himself and speak so well about his 'second father'. I must confess Ally was the first person I thought of when I saw Walter had died.

https://talksport.com/football/969451/ally-mccoist-tribute-walter-smith-rangers-second-father/