The Scottish Football thread

METALMAN

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Steven Davis as caretaker player-manager. Quite nice to see a player-manager, that's a bit of a throwback. But he's got no experience so we'll see how that goes.

He's still injured and not sure he's even registered to play. Was still at the club to rehab his ACL injury.

55 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

One of the worst managers I've had the displeasure of seeing at Rangers, how he took the job was despicable in the first place. Won't be welcome back.

To play a bit of devil's advocate; while he comes across as a cretin, he actually had a good win percentage and his 'poor run of form' has been losing to PSV, losing 1-0 to Ange's Celtic team and losing to Aberdeen after a red card. If I'm getting the sack on FM after that so early in the season right after beating Real Bétis, I'd be raging. :lol:

I think he has promised too much and failed to meet his own lofty goals, otherwise it seems pretty harsh. I'll miss the banter about his mole and him being a Poundland Danny Dyer.

Will be interesting to see what happens with his new signings like Danilo.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Kraig said:

To play a bit of devil's advocate; while he comes across as a cretin, he actually had a good win percentage and his 'poor run of form' has been losing to PSV, losing 1-0 to Ange's Celtic team and losing to Aberdeen after a red card. If I'm getting the sack on FM after that so early in the season right after beating Real Bétis, I'd be raging. :lol:

I think he has promised too much and failed to meet his own lofty goals, otherwise it seems pretty harsh. I'll miss the banter about his mole and him being a Poundland Danny Dyer.

Will be interesting to see what happens with his new signings like Danilo.

He lost 1-0 to a Celtic side with Liam Scales and Lagerbielke at the back though and the one way to deal with Celtic is to put a man on McGregor, plus Aberdeen have been awful this year. That and 'Cantwell doesn't suit playing Killie'. 😂

Supposedly there was problems between him and the players after the kit-man got the sack too. I think the biggest issue is he just promised all this stuff and there was zero identity to his tactics. He took Yilmaz out the Europa League squad then has started him the last few weeks. Job was just far too big for him. If we'd looked good but got beat the last few games I think fans would have been more forgiving.

Think he's just another in a long line of good 'tacticians' who can't make their ideas work in real game situations and better off as an assistant.

4 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

He lost 1-0 to a Celtic side with Liam Scales and Lagerbielke at the back though and the one way to deal with Celtic is to put a man on McGregor, plus Aberdeen have been awful this year. That and 'Cantwell doesn't suit playing Killie'. 😂

Supposedly there was problems between him and the players after the kit-man got the sack too. I think the biggest issue is he just promised all this stuff and there was zero identity to his tactics. He took Yilmaz out the Europa League squad then has started him the last few weeks. Job was just far too big for him. If we'd looked good but got beat the last few games I think fans would have been more forgiving.

Think he's just another in a long line of good 'tacticians' who can't make their ideas work in real game situations and better off as an assistant.

I think the last Rangers game I watched was against Eintracht, but on paper it doesn't look too bad. Maybe he'll blag his way into another job on the back of his stats.

Just now, The Kraig said:

I think the last Rangers game I watched was against Eintracht, but on paper it doesn't look too bad. Maybe he'll blag his way into another job on the back of his stats.

I think the gap between Celtic and Rangers and the rest of the SPL has widened so much that even bad managers are going to have 65%+ winning percentages.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Rangers have confirmed the appointment of Philippe Clement as their new manager. The 49-year-old arrives at Ibrox following the departure of Michael Beale at the start of the month.

He inherits a Rangers side who are joint-second in the Premiership, seven points behind Celtic, the league leaders and defending champions.

Clement told the Rangers website: “I am honoured to have been appointed as the new manager of Rangers and I’d like to thank the board for giving me this opportunity. I am hugely excited by this chance to achieve success at one of Europe’s most iconic clubs across four competitions in what remains of this season and beyond. I am looking forward to meeting with the players in the coming days and to meeting our supporters at next Saturday’s home match with Hibernian, as we set out together to create a successful, winning Rangers.”

The Rangers chairman, John Bennett, added: “I would like to offer my warm congratulations to Philippe as he becomes our 19th manager. His appointment comes at the end of a carefully planned and comprehensive recruitment process.

“A team led by our CEO James Bisgrove, members of the board, and former Rangers player and manager Graeme Souness, has spent the last 10 days interviewing several high calibre candidates, with those individuals undergoing a rigorous interview and vetting process. We thank all candidates for their interest in the position.

“Philippe proved to be the outstanding candidate across all the key criteria, reinforced by his track record of winning titles and I wish him every success as he leads us forward.”

After playing at Genk and Club Brugge, with a spell at Coventry in between, Clement won the Belgian Pro League as a manager with both teams and gained Champions League experience with Club Brugge. He was capped 38 times by his country as a player.

After his spells in Belgium, Clement then took over at Monaco in January 2022. They finished third in his first part season but he departed the Ligue 1 club in June this year after less than a year and a half in charge.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 20/12/2023 at 17:23, METALMAN said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67740071

This is why we love Scottish football.

He’s such a strange guy, but he’s not entirely wrong. The way teams play up here is abysmal, and that’s shown in Europe by some of the sides year in year out.

Rangers down another player after a shocking tackle. Ref tried to give a yellow at first, player busy high fiveing his team mates for taking someone out.