The Scottish Football thread

METALMAN

2 hours ago, METALMAN said:

Did you know I was in the orchestra that played the premiere of the overture that was written to commemorate the 250th anniversary of the founding of Darvel?

Probably not.

It’s a tiny little place. About 2,000 people so this certainly is a big deal!

i hope they get you back to play the team's homecoming after they win the Scottish Cup!

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Why is Tillman even going for that? The game down in England that the commentator is referring to was this, when Doncaster midfielder Harry Forrester "accidentally" lobbed the keeper giving the ball back, in the 90th minute, so Paul Dickov instructed Rovers to let Bury equalise. At 1:29:

Our goalkeeper Thorsten Stuckmann also was a bit of a dick about it, much like McGregor. Right thing to do I'd say.

9 hours ago, Colly said:

There's been a few, this is the big one I remember. If they'd thought to do the walk in thing it could've been a replay at Bramall Lane rather than a reboot at Highbury. 

I think teams generally avoid allowing goals to ensure there's no suspicion of collusion or match/event fixing.

Rangers scored about 10 minutes later and it finished 3-2.

It's interesting seeing some players with seemingly no concept of sportsmanship. I actually liked McGregor not just stepping out of the way, must be one of the hardest things to accept as a goalkeeper. Plus, the Rangers fans might have lynched him if he didn't do what they would do.

• 1 month later...
On 16/05/2022 at 02:45, The Kraig said:

IT'S DONE! A penalty in extra time has us end 3-2 on aggregate, Queen's Park are off to the Scottish Championship! Back to back promotions! :o 

So, much to my disbelief and joy, Queen's Park are top of the Championship this season, even after selling key player Simon Murray to Ross County in the winter break. They're 7 points ahead of Dundee with 6 games to go. Their final game is against Dundee so this is getting really interesting. Even if they throw it away, the play-offs paid off for us last season.

For those unaware, Queen's Park are the oldest club in Scotland, and if they get promoted it will be their first time back in the top tier of Scottish football since 1958. They've only been a professional club for 3 years and if they win the Championship it makes it 3 promotions in 3 years.

I only started supporting QP because they were the closest team to my flat at the time and I was sick of all the sectarian pish with Rangers and Celtic, then got sucked in to the history of the club, the links to the national team and the birth of international football, Scotch Professors who took the passing game to England, etc, etc. I was quite content supporting the little amateur club who always did decent despite being in a professional league. Now I'm just gutted I can't watch the game in person since I emigrated. :lol:

I feel like I'm living in a Football Manager game. And we're about to get spanked in the Premiership.

Oh yeah, Celtic are pretty much Premiership champions again, but who cares about that.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 06/05/2023 at 20:57, Lineker said:

Bloody hell Dundee.

Was following along at work with the goals, what a rollercoaster. 😢 Playoff time against Partick, which we should win, but now I expect it all the fall apart.

Well, Queen's Park are really Hibsing it so far. Lost 4-3 to Partick at Firhill, which is more of a home stadium than our current home at Stenhousemuir (Lesser Hampden's still getting redeveloped).

Partick hammered QP 0-4, winning 8-3 overall. Really awful defending and looked like they were giving up after the second goal. Crazy season though.

Partick face Ayr, then the winners faces the Prem club who slot in at 11th (probably Metalman's Killie). An Ayrshire derby over relegation/promotion would be a sight.

However, there's still a big Kilmarnock/Dundee United Premiership game coming up that could be the real decider for who goes into the playoff.

It's the Old Firm game today, so I'm curious how that unfolds. Celtic should be able to horse Rangers the way morale is, but who knows. The title's over so this is gonna be more about the rivalry than ever.

Todd Cantwell is absolute class.

8 hours ago, The Kraig said:

Partick hammered QP 0-4, winning 8-3 overall. Really awful defending and looked like they were giving up after the second goal. Crazy season though.

Partick face Ayr, then the winners faces the Prem club who slot in at 11th (probably Metalman's Killie). An Ayrshire derby over relegation/promotion would be a sight.

However, there's still a big Kilmarnock/Dundee United Premiership game coming up that could be the real decider for who goes into the playoff.

It's the Old Firm game today, so I'm curious how that unfolds. Celtic should be able to horse Rangers the way morale is, but who knows. The title's over so this is gonna be more about the rivalry than ever.

Watched the first leg and the standard was absolutely woeful from both, can't see either winning a playoff against Killie or Utd.

19 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

Todd Cantwell is absolute class.

Watched the first leg and the standard was absolutely woeful from both, can't see either winning a playoff against Killie or Utd.

I've only seen the highlights sadly, but Queen's Park haven't looked deadly since selling their captain (and leading goalscorer) to Ross County mid-season. Part of me thinks they self-sabotaged the title win because we'll never survive in the Prem without a permanent stadium and while still restructuring following two promotions. Queen's Park weirdly climbed the tables faster than Rangers did. Both teams were also attacking with abandon.

I can see Ayr doing it, but time will tell.