EWB's 51 Favorite Singers 2010: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Singing-wise, I always rated Noel higher than Liam. But Liam is obviously the better frontman and a lot of people have just voted for their favourite frontmen man anyway so ...

EWB's Favourite Front(wo)man might be an interesting list.

EWB's Favourite Front(wo)man might be an interesting list.

My list would largely be the same, except without Chuck Billy or Billy Corgan, and the order changed partly depending on if songwriting counts and if we're allowed to use Freddie Mercury.

And I'd give Anchang from Sex Machineguns a higher ranking than I should because I forgot him in this list (not like it mattered but I'm still kicking myself over that)

Unsurprisingly, I approve of Moz. Good shout.

Billy Corgan's a dick, and his voice only suits one or two songs. Mostly because it's shit.

I don't know who the fuck Simon Neil is.

Scott Walker is absolutely godly. I'm not 100%, but pretty sure he's the first of my votes to make the list. If you can listen to anything off "The Drift" and still think that Corey fucking Taylor deserves to be higher in this list than him, then you can go choke on a cock.

Iggy's class. I love his voice, more in his Bowie-era stuff than in the Stooges, but he's just brilliant all around. Also the single greatest frontman I have ever seen live - I'd never quite got the fuss until I saw The Stooges this year, and the energy coming off him is just electric from the second he takes to the stage, it's unbelievable. Best frontman in the world, if you ask me.

Corey Taylor's shit. Slipknot are shit, Stone Sour are shit but at least not as childish. But still unimaginative, uninteresting, and rubbish. And his singing is bollocks.

Speaking of bollocks, here's Liam Gallagher. Can't sing to save his life, can't write a song, and an obnoxious big-headed prick to boot.

Shirley Manson's nice enough, but never really got into Garbage, so not much to say there.

I actually don't like Aretha. Shock! She's responsible for 90% of women with a half-good voice thinking that key changes and stupid vocal dynamics constitute "soul", when most of the time they're just annoying. When she's good, she's good, but mostly she sang a lot of old rubbish, and influenced the likes of Christina Aguilera to make ear-grating mess.

Neko Case is lovely.

Patsy Cline, really? Shit, EWB, where did that come from?

Slipknot?

I mean, seriously, motherfucking Slipknot?

I get that some people look for different things other than quote-unquote "technical skill" in their singers, and I don't want to get involved in that brain-sapping 'is metal or is it not total wank' argument again because I value my time... but SLIPKNOT?

If you voted for Corey Taylor, you should hang your head in shame.

Otherwise... Moz is awesome, Shirley Manson is great, Billy Corgan is a cunt who actually can't sing all that well, Liam is not a great singer but is a good frontman (I echo the 'favourite frontperson' list idea, if only because that'd give me a place to put Jemima Pearl), and Aretha is actually only average across her whole career - Skummy hit the nail on the head there, she may have done some great stuff and inspired the likes of Beyonce to write some great stuff, but her warbling is annoying and directly responsible for every female X-Factor contestant ever.

The rest are the definition of 'meh' for me, I have no opinion.

So yeah, here's my "so far" thoughts.

Hayley Williams: I'm just not a fan of female fronted rock, especially more recent stuff, it all starts to sound like Avril Lavigne to me. Their cover of the Foo's "My Hero" is nice though, possibly better than the original IMO.

Bon Scott: Only really heard a couple of AC/DC songs with him. But largely inter-changeable between him and Johnson, they both have the same kind of voice that can be used for any AC/DC song.

Maynard James Keenan: Quite boring, just like Tool's music. The voice suits a couple of songs here and there that I've heard, but nothing spectacular. I'm just not a fan of 'industrial', which I think Tool are? I get confused with genres these days.

Lemmy: Uh, OK. I guess he suits their songs but, um, yeah.

Fred Durst: Why hasn't the competition stopped yet? He's won!

Ann Wilson: I too am in the I don't really know who Heart are boat. I'd actually heard of them through GTA: SA before Guitar Hero, but I think it was the same song anyway (Barracuda). I know they did some work with Alice in Chains too, but I forget what.

Matt Belamy: I'm sick of Muse. His voice is one of the main reasons why I just can't get into Muse. That and their music sound like if Doctor Who was a chat show, they'd be the house band. I listened to Absolution a couple of weeks ago to see what the fuss was about. It didn't do anything for me at all.

Trent Reznor: See Maynard James Keenan/Tool.

Brian Johnson: See Bon Scott/AC/DC.

Tom Jones: UGH. AS A WELSHMAN THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT I HAVE TO AUTOMATICALLY LIKE TOM JONES, GAVIN & STACEY, TORCHWOOD, SHIRLEY BASSEY & RUGBY. STOP FORCING THEM DOWN MY THROAT, WELSH MEDIA.

Morrisey: Ugh, twat. I don't like him, and I don't like his songs, there for I don't like his voice.

Bill Corgan: Now the Pumpkins are in the same early '90s genre of music I like, but never really got them, mostly because of his whiny voice. I don't mind them now, having given Mellon Collie a listen which I feel is a good album sometimes aided by his voice, and their free songs which started off great with "A Song For A Son", but have just got shitter and shitter.

Simon Neil: Is he from Biffy Clyro? See Matt Belamy/Muse regarding just can't get into them. I actually posted about them in the "listening to" thread and I can't be bothered regurgitating it. I'm not a fan of the accent.

Corey Taylor: Never liked Slipknot, never listened to Stone Sour bar one song. Don't care to.

The rest I have no feelings either way, can't be bothered mentioning, don't know who they are or don't know/care for which Gallagher brother is which. <_<

Only two people voted for him, and pretty much everyone else agrees that the lead singer of Nine Guys With Zero Talent doesn't deserve to be on the list, so... yeah.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

Mm. I don't like it in the slightest but considering that Two Guys With Similar Tastes is the reason why Patsy Cline almost cracked the top twenty I can't really complain that much.

I like Slipknot, and Corey Taylor, but that's because I am way too open in music for my own good. That being said however, in my opinion Corey Taylor doesn't belong on this list. I said it in another thread, but if we were going strictly by singing, a fair number of people who are on this list don't really belong here. Another person is Hayley Williams. I like Paramore, I think they're a cut above most of the shitty pop/punk bands that are around, but being in a list of top 50 whatever is something I don't agree with. If this was "your own personal" top favorite singers or, in the case of Lemmy, top unique voices, then I wouldn't have any obligations to some of the people on the list. Of course you have to have some form of unique vocals, power, range, tone, and etcetera to be considered a great singer, otherwise as someone pointed out, you would just have a lot of classical opera singers.

I like Slipknot, and Corey Taylor, but that's because I am way too open in music for my own good. That being said however, in my opinion Corey Taylor doesn't belong on this list. I said it in another thread, but if we were going strictly by singing, a fair number of people who are on this list don't really belong here. Another person is Hayley Williams. I like Paramore, I think they're a cut above most of the shitty pop/punk bands that are around, but being in a list of top 50 whatever is something I don't agree with. If this was "your own personal" top favorite singers or, in the case of Lemmy, top unique voices, then I wouldn't have any obligations to some of the people on the list. Of course you have to have some form of unique vocals, power, range, tone, and etcetera to be considered a great singer, otherwise as someone pointed out, you would just have a lot of classical opera singers.

Being on a list of top 50 is perfectly fine, because as it reads in the title, it's FAVORITES. You could complain all day long if it was a legit top 50 greatest, but this is actually favorites. The only person that I'd complain about is Corey Taylor, because that's just shitter than shit, but again, it's favorites (why he'd be anybodies favorite however is beyond me).

Personally I voted for Hayley Williams because she's probably my favorite female out there at the moment (barring possibly Madonna) and I actually rate her highly anyway. To me she is pretty unique and one of the best female front leaders of a band in a long time, just personal taste I guess though.

Also had a good laugh at Aretha being called 'average' :lol:

Edited by JohnnyPerfect