EWB's 51 Favorite Singers 2010: The Results

GoGo Yubari

I am a fan of both Slipknot and Stone Sour and i have to say that Corey Taylor is probably one of the most well rounded vocalists out there today.

Listen to Hesitate, Pieces and Anna on Audio Secrecy and you will see the guy has a tremendous voice.

Christ, I know listening to Slipknot must set your standards pretty low, but how bad does it have to be before your criteria for voting someone as one of your ten favourite singers of all time is "he can sing"?

Aren't you the guy championing Iggy Pop, a guy who spent decades twitching so hard from heroin abuse he could barely STAND, let alone attempt to sing?

• Like 2

Corey Taylor is probably one of the most well rounded vocalists out there today.

Oh come on. Taylor is good in a genre full of shit, but if you stack him up against actual singers, he's awful. The list is EWB's favorite, so him making it is fine, it's completely subjective, but to say that he's one of the most well-rounded vocalists out there is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Christ, I know listening to Slipknot must set your standards pretty low, but how bad does it have to be before your criteria for voting someone as one of your ten favourite singers of all time is "he can sing"?

Uhhh, isn't the criteria for all-time favorite singers being the fact that they can sing? I mean, it's in the title...I'm just posting those for people who say he can't or that he was a bad choice...

Yes, but you kind of assume that "he can sing" should be taken as given if, you know, you're a singer. When the best thing you can say about someone's vocal ability is "he can sing", then perhaps he's not one of the ten best singers? There are billions of people who "can sing", but a few who do it exceptionally well, and Corey Taylor certainly does not fall into that category. He's a terrible vocalist in Slipknot, which is essentially just death metal for children, and he's one of the blandest vocalists I've ever heard in Stone Sour who, incidentally, are one of the blandest bands I've ever heard. Hell, if we're going down the route of metal vocalists, I'd even vote Lee Dorrian ahead of Corey Taylor and, as much as I love the guy, he hasn't got a fucking note in his head.

And, yes, I know this is a list of "favourite" singers not "best" singers, but what do you expect us to do? Just post "I don't like him, but I respect the opinion of those who do" for everybody on the countdown? It's a discussion thread. If I don't agree with someone's placement, I'll make it known, just like I'll be fucking overjoyed if Diamanda Galas or Runhild Gammelsæter make the list. Speaking of which - Runhild. That is what a good metal vocalist sounds like. She could out-growl Corey Taylor when she was seventeen.

Aren't you the guy championing Iggy Pop, a guy who spent decades twitching so hard from heroin abuse he could barely STAND, let alone attempt to sing?

I'm not really championing Iggy, as I didn't vote for him. I just expressed my opinions when he made it on to the countdown - he's easily the best frontman I've ever had the pleasure of seeing live, and his voice is almost secondary to that, but it is damn good. Incidentally, the number one on my list was Roy Orbison, a man who can undoubtedly sing better than most people.

Edited by Skummy

To be fair, even in the clips everyone's posted of him where he's supposedly good, he still seems pretty bad to me. I can understand if people like it, because the songs people have posted aren't actually that bad, and his singing does the job, but I don't think it's good - there are just some songs and music styles where shit singing works, and I can understand why people would like the sound and want to vote for him. If I was going to vote I probably would've put Liam Gallagher pretty high. I don't think he's a great singer but do I want Marvin Gaye as lead vocalist for Oasis? No. I enjoy his voice and it adds to the music, though, so I'd consider him a favourite, even though it's obvious he's a below par singer.

Well, think of it this way EWB. The guy who sings for Tool isn't on this list.

...I hope...

Edited by OctoberRavenO

If you like guys who sound like they're saying random words in an alcohol-induced slumber, maybe.

Will someone please post the next list so we can move on?

Yeah, get on that, someone!

jeff-buckley2.jpg

14. Jeff Buckley (23 points, 4 ballots) (Last Time: #4)

led-zeppelin-robert-plant.jpg

13. Robert Plant (24 points, 3 ballots) (Last Time: #33)

article-1173048-049F72A9000005DC-357_468x368.jpg

11. Roy Orbison (25 points, 3 ballots) (Last Time: #44)

11. Ella Fitzgerald (25 points, 3 ballots) (Last Time: #25)

NEXT TIME: We hit the home stretch with 10 to 7. Let's get ready to bicker!