Elder Scrolls V: Skeerim

apsham

If you haven't played one, play as the other.

Though meta-wise

Spoiler

It doesn't really matter because the Aldmeri Dominion wins no matter what the outcome is because the entire thing is just to weaken Tamriel for eventual invasion.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished up Dawnguard for the first time. 

At first I thought it was kind of neat, but then it just became tedious, between the Soul Cairn and the Forgotten Vale. The fight against Harkon was somewhat underwhelming, although I chalk this up as: 

Having the best possibly enchant for Fortify Archery on my gear
Having 85 Archery
Inadvertently getting off a sneak attack with Auriel's Bow (He was speaking and I didn't realize he was in combat yet :shifty: )

Not sure if I'll do Dawnguard again on any future playthroughs,. TBH. Come to think of it, I probably have to because I went the Dawnguard route, so I'll have to see what the Vampire route is. 

• Haha 1

I've been a werewolf... I think literally just the moment in the companions questline without an option on that. Sometime I'm going to have to actually find the time to play through and play around with their skill trees though. Don't know why I never really played around with them. Will think about my next playthrough.

Werewolf and Vampire (Dawngard DLC version, that is. Vanilla is laaaaame.) is pretty neat. Vampire needs you to level up a few skills before it's really badass though.

6 hours ago, apsham said:

I used Another Life to start out as a vampire - how do you start the Dawnguard stuff on the vampiric side? If I remember correctly, normally a vampire hunter runs up to you and asks you to join their side - but that might be an issue as I am now.

Basically, you join the Dawnguard, rescue Serana, and from there you go to the vampire castle, where Serana's daddy makes the offer to turn you. You can say yes or no. If you take the offer, then you do the vampire side. Decline, and you're with the Dawnguard. 

Oh yeah, I had this convo with a Coworker the other day:

Me: "You know the voice of Mario also did the voice of Paarhunax from Skyrim."

Co: "...Wait, who from Skyrim"

Me: "Paarthunax."

Co: *blank stare*

Me: "You played Skyrim?"

Co: "Yeah, that game's awesome"

Me: "Okay, the Dragon at the Throat of the World, that's Paarthunax."

Co: *blank stare*

Me: "You've played the main quest, right?"

Co: "Yeah, but there wasn't a talking dragon was there."

Me: "Yes, Paarthunax! He hangs out at the Throat of the World, with the Greybeards gives you advice and teaches you a shout."

Co: "I remember the Greybeards, but not a dragon...."

I mean the Main Quest itself isn't the greatest storyline ever but Paarthunax is pretty much the best part of it. He's like if Yoda were the size of a house.

16 hours ago, apsham said:

I've... never actually gotten the main story to the point where I met Paarthunax. My longest running game, I spent all of my time on guilds and the Civil War storyline.

I've never completed the Peace Treaty option in the Civil War storyline

TBF it can seem like  quite a chore. Honestly, so many characters I make I delibriately avoid setting the main story in motion mainly due to the fact that once you kill the first dragon, you have to deal with the random dragon attacks and what not, and that can just be a fucking annoyance and a half. Not to mention there's just so much you can do outside of the main story. 

Last night, I had possibly the worst quest ever. Got it from Vilkas. "One of Whiterun's citizens has been kidnapped! You must save them!"

"FEAR NOT, FAIR YSOLDA, I, THE GREAT DRAGONBORN THORIM FIRE-STONE SHALL RESCUE YOU AND--"

**RESCUE NAZEEM**

"....Mother fucker."

even then, pretty sure there's a console command to deflag people

5 hours ago, lanky316 said:

Do kidnapping victims get logged as essential? If not you could always go there, kill the kidnappers and then kill Nazeem and say the kidnappers did it and you killed them as revenge...

Nope. You fail the quest. :shifty: