The Shows Mostly Formerly Affiliated with NBC's Thursday Night Comedy Block Thread **SPOILERS**

GoGo Yubari

Guest mr. potato head

Bleh. I know I've been beating the drum for Parks and Rec being better than Community this year, but tonight really made me miss Community.

30 Rock is what it is at this stage. The characters are all slightly more exaggerated than what's optimal (except Tracy, who's can get away with it because that's always been the point of the character) and even though they're not recycling plots or anything, it still feels like I've seen all this before. I guess it's a cliffhanger? I'm not excited to see more of the Jenna and Kenneth plot from tonight, but whatever.

Parks and Rec was pretty good, but not one of their better efforts. I get that they wanted a plausible explanation for Leslie climbing in the polls, but Paul Rudd's character was just way too much of a caricature by the end. Would have liked to see more candidates in the race too, fringe and otherwise, but I guess there's still hope. The Ron/Chris subplot wasn't great on the surface, but I like the idea of where they're going with it. Ron should want a promotion and understand how the game is played (remember, he had to get a few promotions to wind up in his current job), and the chance to spread libertarianism through the entire city government might be too much for him to pass up. Andy And April Visit The Hospital was great.

And...The Office. Maybe it's just the mood I was in, but I thought this was one of their all-time weaker episodes. Things aren't right when an episode of The Office that actually takes place in the office feels like a novelty. The Robert California character doesn't seem to actually *be* anything other than a mishmash of eccentricity. The running subplot of Jim calling himself a master of leaving parties early and then not being able to had two problems, in that it felt like a retread and that it wasn't funny. Andy wasn't particularly sympathetic (though it was a very good episode for Erin). As far as sitcom episodes that take place in huge houses with pools go, I much preferred the Steve Guttenberg episode of Party Down.

Edited by mr. potato head

Actually a pretty damn good night overall. 30 Rock was fun, but the end tag with Kelsey Grammer outdid the rest of the episode.

Parks and Rec was on it's game too. Bobby Neeeewwwport. Also, Ron killing off the other department's projects was too damn fun.

But, for once, I felt The Office owned the night. Obviously, I'm a sucker for Robert California, and this whole episode was bathed in his oddly-appealing sex grease. Plus, Erin's another favorite of mine. Anything that pulls her and Andy closer together is gonna grab my attention.

Oh, and Toby was given a rare moment to shine. Such a fun night.

But, fuck, guys. I still miss Community.

Guest mr. potato head

That first 30 Rock was just so delightfully wacky. Jokes flying at a Community pace, Kelsey Grammer's appearance that much better because of how little he did and how much the characters sold it, and the surprise return of Devon Banks! Denise Richards was far better than she deserved to be, as well.

Parks and Rec started out kinda slow but hit its stride quickly. Favourite bits were the Ron/Tom/Ann bowling group scenes (especially Ron's favourite restaurant), all the jokes in that group worked perfectly. The main plot wasn't great but, like last week, necessary to show how Leslie can rise in the polls I guess. The phonecall group plot didn't work as well for me, but I'm glad they've gotten rid of Jerry's daughter, who served no purpose and never fit in. Andy was great as always.

Second 30 Rock was a lot weaker than the first, but still pretty good overall. Marked like a bitch for Foley, of course.

Guest mr. potato head

Actually, come to think of it, was the second 30 Rock meant as a Simpsons homage or were there just a lot of coincidences? Off the top of my head, you had Foley's line about "clowns in Congress" in the same episode where an employee is replaced with a computer, Jenna's "meet my new friends" scene feeling exactly like something Marge did once, and apparently the Phillie Phanatic joke was something the Simpsons did with the IKEA mascot. Maybe more too. Or am I just reading too much into things?

Half way through the latest Parks and Recs and I just got very, very excited at the mini Party Down reunion between Adam Scott and the guy who played Roman. That was awesome. :shifty:

And do people not use this thread if Communuty isn't on, or something? I miss it a lot, too. But Parks is equally as good. If not better.

Edit: That episode was fucking awesome. Ron was on top form throughout, constantly had me laughing out loud. I just love the whole cast of this show, each character has me laughing of sympathising with them. Andy wasn't in it for long tonight and he was quality, too. It's great that the more out there supporting members get a chance to shine because Leslie and Ben are really down to Earth and also very, very likeable and not at all boring. Seriously, great ep.

Guest mr. potato head

I'm going to start calling it Parks and Rex, partially to mock Split and partially in the hope it goes viral and Leslie's campaign has to deal with rogue dinosaurs. :shifty:

Good Parks and Rex this week, didn't love it as much as Split did. Suspect I'll be looking back on this in two or three years as one of the first signs of the decline of Ron's character. And unless I'm forgetting something, it was pretty much an episode in a bottle that didn't do much for any ongoing plots. Could have used a brontosaurus.

The Office wasn't so great. Apparently we're still supposed to like Jim and Pam, which is a problem because they're no longer likable. Don't really care about Dwight and the baby either.

30 Rock's a tough show to comment on week-to-week because it's basically just a rapid-fire succession of jokes, but without the unique zaniness of Community. I actually liked a Kristen Wiig character for once though, so that's something.

Half way through the latest Parks and Recs and I just got very, very excited at the mini Party Down reunion between Adam Scott and the guy who played Roman. That was awesome. :shifty:

And do people not use this thread if Communuty isn't on, or something? I miss it a lot, too. But Parks is equally as good. If not better.

Edit: That episode was fucking awesome. Ron was on top form throughout, constantly had me laughing out loud. I just love the whole cast of this show, each character has me laughing of sympathising with them. Andy wasn't in it for long tonight and he was quality, too. It's great that the more out there supporting members get a chance to shine because Leslie and Ben are really down to Earth and also very, very likeable and not at all boring. Seriously, great ep.

I check this thread with the hope that a new episode of Community has somehow popped up and I missed the big announcement.

It just makes me more sad everytime. :crying:

Apparently we're still supposed to like Jim and Pam, which is a problem because they're no longer likable.

Good job. You're watching the show wrong because none of that episode made me think they want us to be liking Jim and Pam.

Guest mr. potato head

Apparently we're still supposed to like Jim and Pam, which is a problem because they're no longer likable.

Good job. You're watching the show wrong because none of that episode made me think they want us to be liking Jim and Pam.

That's what I got out of everybody forgiving them at the end.

I just want to point out that as I was watching Parks and Rec earlier today, my housemate came into the room and asked me why I watch this crap. He has good taste in tv, so I reason with him and rightfully assume that he tried to watch the first season and failed. Then, he pointed out that, "plus, Amy Poehler sucks."

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!