Suggest your favourite movies that people may have overlooked.

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Saved! definitely fits the bill. A bunch of Pharisees, a pregnant girl, a Jew, and a kid in a wheelchair that smokes and drives a car without a license? What's not to love?

Johnny Dangerously. It might not be the best film ever, but it's family fun, and more importantly, it's campy instead of stupid, unlike other mobster movie spoofs.

The Final Cut with Robin Williams. This has got to be one of the crazier movies I've seen, and the implied child molestation makes my skin crawl while wondering what kind of man would actually be willing to go through other people's lives, taking only the parts that are socially acceptable and forgetting all the rotten parts.

Gattaca. I know it's a cult classic, but some people might have missed it. What it says about eugenics and the "perfection of humanity" definitely makes you think. Of course, there's enough regular human plot that if you don't give a crap about the moral message, there's still a good movie.

I didn't like Sexy Beast as much as I thought I would. Did enjoy 3:10 To Yuma though.

I'd recommend Ghost Dog:Way of the Samurai. Slightly slow and meandering, not for everyone, but I personally think it is a really cool movie. Was an early movie from when Film 4 started and were also producing movies.

I'd also recommend The Commitments. Film based off of a Roddy Doyle novel, about an Irish music fan attempting to put together an Irish soul band. Good music, lots of swearing, brilliant film.

The White Ribbon. Released in 2009. Great and very dark cinema. Slow moving, but so rewarding in the end. It won the Palme d'Or, but outside of a few critics liking it, not much of a following.

Funnily enough, that's probably my least favourite Haneke film :/ I prefer Hidden (cache) and Funny Games.

But yeah, his is where I attempt to out-geek everyone and fail miserably

eXistenZ - It's sort of like Inception... but done in the 90s about video games. I love it to pieces.

Crash - Another Cronenberg film, this time about people who find car crashes erotic... it's very strange <_<

The Fountain - The best Aronofsky film by far. I've watched it around 8 times since it came out and still don't understand it. Beautiful :D

Dogville - I know loads of film buffs have heard of Lars von Trier (he did Anti-Christ) but this is one of his more overlooked films... partly because it's a 3 hour film with no props. The final half hour is perfect.

Obscure world cinema <_<

Das Experiment - It transports you back to 2001. Linkin Park blasting out of the soundsystem and a really harsh film based on the Stanford Prison experiment.

Russian Ark - An amazing film done in one shot. One shot, as in... there isn't a single edit or cut in this film. It is wonderful :D

That's all for now... but I get the feeling I'll remember about 40 dvds the second after I post this <_<

I think it does have it's fare share of love on EWB, but does seem to have been over-looked in general is

Downey Jr and Val Kilmer are both excellent and the script is sharp.

I'll also echo the love for Sunshine, 3:10 to Yuma and The Proposition. All excellent films.

another example of Frank Darabont adapting and directing a Stephen King story is a magnificent horror film with an excellent ending.

I recently watched A Town Called Panic, and while it's not "AMAZING," it deserves a mention for being totally bonkers. Just totally mental.

And finally,

is a lot of fun (silly, but fun), and James Mason is excellent.

And I'll stop there before I start listing westerns. I love westerns.

"Requiem for a Dream" should be fairly popular, but it's still worth mentioning. Also echoing the "In Bruges" love.

When I watched this for the first time earlier this week I couldn't stop laughing at the end where they show the main character with his arm amputated. Mostly because I had just watched a lot of Arrested Development season three and couldn't help but think of Buster screaming "I'M A MONSTER!"

When I watched the movie I didn't laugh at all. I thought it was pretty disturbing and had an headache afterwards. And trust me, I'm used to seeing fucked up shit.

I AM MORE EMOTIONALLY DEAD THAN FR34K!!

w00t.gif

I should probably point out that I watched the movie in a party setting, so people were laughing the whole time and I never really got into it...although I was "that asshole who laughed at the end."

Funnily enough, that's probably my least favourite Haneke film :/ I prefer Hidden (cache) and Funny Games.

Hey, to each their own. I am a huge Haneke fan, I've enjoyed all of his work. Cache is my second favorite Haneke movie and probably pretty close to White Ribbon. Both just explore parts of human existence that make me delightfully uncomfortable.

Out of all the movies you listed, the only one I haven't seen is Crash. Which I should, but it's just one of those decisions when deciding what to watch: do I want to watch a movie about car accident sex? I'll get around to it one day...

Edited by RockPaperScissors

Hey, to each their own. I am a huge Haneke fan, I've enjoyed all of his work. Cache is my second favorite Haneke movie and probably pretty close to White Ribbon. Both just explore parts of human existence that make me delightfully uncomfortable.

Out of all the movies you listed, the only one I haven't seen is Crash. Which I should, but it's just one of those decisions when deciding what to watch: do I want to watch a movie about car accident sex? I'll get around to it one day...

Crash is pretty good, I'd recommend it. My wife showed it to me and it was actually pretty entertaining even if it does sound like a strange premise for a movie.

As for movies I think are often overlooked? First is Last Exit To Brooklyn, great movie that my dad bought for me on a whim as a Christmas gift. There isn't really any big time actors other than Jennifer Jason Leigh and the guy that plays Paulie in the Rocky movies, but it's a fantastic film. It's set in the 1950s and focuses on a labor strike, a gang of hoodlum greasers, and Jennifer Jason Leigh's character who turns tricks to help the gang. It's a bit more in depth than that obviously, but the movie centers around those characters and is a pretty gritty look at working class Brooklyn in the 1950s.

Romper Stomper is a personal favorite of mine, a movie about a gang of Neo-Nazi skinheads in Australia. I've mentioned this movie on more than one one occasion over the years and I think it's a great movie. It stars Russell Crowe before he was a big name actor, he is the leader of the skinhead gang mentioned.

Chopper is another great Aussie movie, starring Eric Bana as Mark Brandon "Chopper" Reed. It's a biography of sorts, as Chopper had gained some notoriety for being an illiterate ex-con that managed to write a series of entertaining books. The movie shows his last days in prison before he is paroled (even showing the real life incident where he has his own ears cut off to get a transfer to another section of the prison) and put onto the streets which follows his adjustment to society. He's a nutty fucker, but he's also sort of an anti-hero in that he doesn't prey on the innocent, focusing on other gangsters as his targets.

I was randomly thinking about it earlier so I'll mention it here - Commando is fucking brilliance. Easily one of my favourite action films ever. Just balls out manliness throughout and a bunch of fantastic one-liners.

Also, because I'm surprised I haven't said it yet, About A Boy. I fucking love that film. And it's got the kid from Skins when he was only mildly annoying. I met him once. He's a cock.

Edited by Pesci

It doesn't ever seem to get much praise and it's never really talked about as one of the best films in its/any genre. Plus it's not really that popular so I can easily see someone overlooking it. It's no more revered than, say, Children of Men or Crash.

Also, another crazy movie that didn't get a lot of attention... Sukiyaki Western Django.

A really weird Western movie featuring a lone gunman helping the oppressed people of a city in Nevada take their town back from gangsters. The entire cast is Japanese except Quentin Tarentino, who essentially kicks the movie off by yelling at a bitch that she cooked his noodles wrong in front of a backdrop that looks like it was done for a high school drama presentation Tarentino shows up later in the movie, giving the most random and memorable line from the movie.

If you like Quentin Tarentino's takes on movies, you'll like this.