General Football Thread

Starvinho

Even discounting the notion that he is clearly so far up his own arse that he must struggle to breathe, he's just gone about everything completely the wrong way. He's been retired nearly six years now, I assume he has completed his UEFA coaching badges at least to A level. But that's also six years he could have been coaching at any level that he hasn't been, Darius Vassell played for England too and he's currently working at Wolves with the foundation phase (age 5-11) squads and he's not even a lead coach. So in a few years time, who are you going to go for, the bloke with the badges and no experience, or the bloke with the same badges who has worked at every level of a football club?

As far as I am aware, the only real coaching job Campbell has had is he is or was the assistant manager of Trinidad and Tobago, so that's going to be a bunch of training sessions for a week or so every couple of months. Let's be honest, that's not exactly going to prepare you for the day-in, day-out muck and bullets of managing a whole club in a league as cut-throat as the English lower leagues is it? It's a completely different proposition. What does he know about scouting? Identifying and securing transfer targets? Negotiating contracts? Developing youth? Working to transfer and wage budgets? Managing backroom staff? The list goes on.

I can just imagine the board's faces when he comes in and says his vision for the club is to 'get better and get promoted'. No fucking shit Sol.

2 hours ago, stokerino said:

I mean...what?

He must be referencing the time he signed for Sven in League Two at Notts County, played one game away at Morecambe and was utterly woeful because he had no idea how different lower league football is to the Premier League. He quit straight after. Totally embarrassed himself and he hasn't stopped since to be honest.

4 hours ago, Baddar said:

Villarreal's Ruben Semedo has appeared in court, charged with attempted murder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43161472 

We were linked with him a while back (I almost said nearly signed him, but Newcastle don't sign people), glad we dodged that one. 

1 hour ago, Colly said:

We were linked with him a while back (I almost said nearly signed him, but Newcastle don't sign people), glad we dodged that one. 

This might not have happened if you had signed him. He could've been mentored by Nile Ranger and...oh.

13 hours ago, MadJack said:

In the same press conference that he explains that he wears the yellow ribbon because he has 'an empathy for freedom' Pep also says that 'every country decides the way they want to live for themselves' when pressed on the human rights abuses committed by his employers...

I guess he cares about his country more than another country. Shocking.

• Like 1

Humans as a whole are hypocritical though.

I don't think it's shocking that he's more bothered about something that he sees as important to him (Catalonia independance) than something that isn't exactly affecting him personally or something that isn't as highly important to him (human rights in Abu Dhabi)

18 hours ago, DMo Salah said:

Humans as a whole are hypocritical though.

I don't think it's shocking that he's more bothered about something that he sees as important to him (Catalonia independance) than something that isn't exactly affecting him personally or something that isn't as highly important to him (human rights in Abu Dhabi)

Exactly, it's like the Flintstones. People in Catalonia don't care about The Flintstones, but people in Abu Dhabi Do.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Gazz said:

You're not a 43 year old mother-of-two whose entire comedy reportoire is based around 'wine o'clock'.

I'm also not influenced by aforementioned daft berks who use them to make shitty memes. They're amusing little chaps and it's not their fault they have been co-opted :@

• Like 2