General Football Thread

Starvinho

I know what you mean. United doing the gesture of subsidising the away tickets was a good idea but it's a bit petty (yet totally understandable and I really don't blame them for doing it) to do the exact same thing. 

You know what would be easier...instead of them going on about subsidising it'd probably be easier to now just change the ticket prices back to what they should have been <_<

Kazuyoshi Miura: Japanese striker signs new deal at 50

Kazuyoshi Miura: Japanese striker signs new deal at 50

Striker Kazuyoshi Miura, who turns 51 next month, has signed a new contract with Japanese second division club Yokohama FC.

The deal means he will enter the 33rd season of his record-breaking career, which began at the Brazilian side Santos in 1986.

"I will always play my heart out and hope to continue to grow (as a player)," he told Kyodo news agency.

The former Genoa and Dinamo Zagreb player has been at Yokohama since 2005.

Capped 89 times for his country, Miura's 139 goals place him sixth in the all-time list of top scorers in J-League's top division.

1 hour ago, MadJack said:

Hartlepool United need to raise £200,000 to avoid potentially going bankrupt

There's a Just Giving page linked there that's raised over £50,000 thus far.

There's oddness going on there, even the Supporters Trust are asking questions. Basically don't put any money in yet if you were planning to. 

Just now, Baddar said:

His goal against Chelsea at the Bridge remains one of my favourites ever.

"Petr Cech...Petr Cech never moved!"

He did a little dance and then pinged in the goal.

22 minutes ago, Colly said:

There's oddness going on there, even the Supporters Trust are asking questions. Basically don't put any money in yet if you were planning to. 

What's occurred so far like? I know our captain (James Coppinger) has put a few grand into it and had been promoting it on Twitter.

Just watched five minutes of The Debate on Sky Sports, where Ian Wright and Danny Higginbotham (I think) spent the whole time arguing that gender shouldn't matter when appointing a national team manager, it should go to the best person for the job. Geoff Shreeves then read a tweet asking what possibly qualifies Neville for the job with zero managerial experience. "He has all the badges" was the best they could come up with. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Colly said:

Just watched five minutes of The Debate on Sky Sports, where Ian Wright and Danny Higginbotham (I think) spent the whole time arguing that gender shouldn't matter when appointing a national team manager, it should go to the best person for the job. Geoff Shreeves then read a tweet asking what possibly qualifies Neville for the job with zero managerial experience. "He has all the badges" was the best they could come up with. 

He played for Man United, it's guaranteed to get you a top job regardless of how little you deserve it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere but former Celtic and Man Utd midfielder Liam Miller passed away recently aged 36. He had been suffering from pancreatic cancer.

• 2 weeks later...

Sol Campbell on why he didn't get the Oxford job...

"I did go (for the Oxford job) and they didn't accept me," he told the Arsenal podcast Highbury & Heels.

"Maybe it was a lack of experience, things like that, but it's a full circle. Experience? How do I get experience? Well, I need a job to get experience. I don't want to go too low that it's a struggle, and I don't want to go too low that I'm under someone and thinking 'what am I doing here?' I would rather be managing a club myself.

"I'm confident and it's not like it's rocket science to run a football club, especially when you get to that level. If you're intelligent enough and a quick learner you will learn pretty soon, within two or three games, what the team needs, training-wise, to survive in that league, get better in that league, to get in the play-offs or even win the league.

"I'm intelligent enough, it's not like I played on a fox and dog pitch all my life. I can't believe some people, I'm one of the greatest minds in football and I'm being wasted because of a lack of experience or 'maybe he talks his mind too much'.

That's the trick all those failed managers over the years have been missing, all you have to do to be successful is 'get better'. Genius.