Video Game Scares *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Marked it with spoilers so there's no need to post shit in spoiler tags.

Anyway, what are some of the scariest moments in gaming for you? Not like OH MY GOD THE PSN WAS HACKED THIS IS SCARY but more like JESUS CHRIST WHAT IS THAT THING when you're playing Silent Hill. For me, Penumbra comes to mind.

The first time this happened to me I damn near wet myself because I wasn't expecting it. In the lead-up to this part of the game all you see is rabid dogs and spiders, so you're definitely not expecting this. I thought I was going to have a friggin' heart attack.

I got RE3 off the PSN a month or so back, but I only really got into a game fairly recently. Managed to get inside the RPD, and had my first in-building encounter with Nemesis outside a save room. I manage to leave the room.

I get into the big room that Marvin (the dying cop from RE2) is in, and as the camera switches angles to the other half of the room, I see Nemesis show up again, only he's wielding a goddamn rocket launcher. Game over (both figuratively and literally).

Edited by TenaciousG

I remember when Resident Evil first came out on the PS1 when you're looking through a room for clues and a zombie jumps out of the closet...

Scared the living shit out of me... Even though I was something like 16 at the time :shifty:

Resident Evil 2 and Dino Crisis were littered with some classic jump scares, but nothing beats the Silent Hill games for being genuinely unsettling and spooky.

Even the first Silent Hill game, which I found camp and hilarious for the most part - largely due to terrible voice acting, and the fact that moving backwards made you do Riverdance - managed to freak me out big style with the creepy ghost children things in the school. The whole franchise is also pretty adept at exploiting my inherent fear of mannequins.

I remember playing Fallout 1, and thinking how cool it was that certain Vaults looked different from other ones. There was the pristine Vault, then the normal Vault, then the weather beaten Vault... then you get to the Master's Vault, and I noticed it was a Vault with some sort of gunk on it. Then you look at in the game and it tells you it is made of human flesh. So as you go deeper in the bunker, you're literally walking through, and on, those who came before and didn't make it.

• Like 1

Yahtzee's 5 Days A Stranger and sequels (Disclaimer: Played most of them before ZP >_>) scared the bejabbers out of me first time around. The sound in it is chilling - really sets up the atmosphere where you're going to have the pants scared off of you.

Limbo is a great one for psychological horror in a strange way - the spider is genuinely one of the scariest sequences in any video game I've ever played.

The whole game is fantastic for psycho-analysing players in general - on one hand you can always tell when someone's an experienced gamer by the way they try and solve puzzles, which is almost always the wrong way to do it, rather than thinking laterally, but deeper than that, just the way people play it is really interesting. A couple of my friends are always really cautious - after the second-time they've had a sudden death, they move really slowly and carefully, sometimes even turning and running back a couple of steps for no discernible reason, while I genuinely embrace the fact that I have infinite lives and just run in blind.

Also, it's bloody brilliant and you should play it if you haven't.

Being a Gamer and an Arachnophobic, any time I see Spiders in games, I jump. I then start spinnign around with my sword/gun/boot to kill the motherfuckers. Dragon Age II got me, Doom got me, even Oblivion got me. Basically any game where a Spider tries to attack, will force me to jump.

Lord yes, EDF 2017 is horrible for that when you see a million of them jumping towards you. Sometimes I pretend they're fleas. The giant ants I didn't mind so much. The sequel has wasps though so again that's gonna be an issue.

Amnesia. The whole of it.

Fucking a, right? There's so many great parts to that game. Jeez, even the demo managed to be scary as fuck.

Resident Evil 2. At one point, while examining a room, Tyrant bursts through the wall. That made me jump. I beat him, then left the room, where you could see the hole he burst through....and he proceeds to burst through the wall AGAIN.

Going way way back, Silent Debuggers for the Turbografx 16. What can only be described as a grid-based first person shooter game, the enemies were these giant brain-creature aliens that usually appeared very suddenly. You'd just be walking down a hallway and turn right and the monster would be RIGHT THERE IN YOUR FACE, screaming. That game is why I tended to stick with Parasol Stars.

Edited by The Brian J

Manhunt was the scariest I have played. The scenery and gang members made for a white knuckle gaming experience. It got worse as the game progressed with gang members popping out of corners and door ways. You genuinely got a bit of an adrenaline rush while being chased by a hoard of gang members wielding sickles and axes.

Manhunt was the scariest I have played. The scenery and gang members made for a white knuckle gaming experience. It got worse as the game progressed with gang members popping out of corners and door ways. You genuinely got a bit of an adrenaline rush while being chased by a hoard of gang members wielding sickles and axes.

Fuck yeah. I remember playing it at my friend's house, late, late at night, the level where the cops chase you through an apartment building, then, while trying to walk back to my apartment, in the same building, being freaked out, looking behind me, and finally running to my door.

Of course, I was also high, but still.

Most recent was Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I was in one of the nightmare sequences, and hid underneath a bed to get away from the creatures chasing me. They all ran past me, and I thought I was safe, but decided to wait just a second to make sure there weren't any others around. Right when I was all set to crawl out from under the bed, one(that I didn't realize was in the room still) stuck its head under there and dragged me out. Had to stop playing for a while after that.

Also, the first time I watched someone play Bioshock, just the whole atmosphere in general was pretty tense and uneasy.