2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

Wolves are a team who could do with buying one or two players out of the three relegated teams. If Craig Gardener wasn't content on staying with Birminghim, he's a player he could help Wolves out. Every time I've seen him play he's been pretty useful.

I haven't seen him enough to really make a case for him, he just scored a nice goal on Sunday. :shifty: Still, I'm sure there's a player or two who Wolves could pick up from the relegated teams.

Out of interest, do you think Phil Jones will make a move this summer? Seems to be a lot of hype around him.

Think there'll be a lot of interest in him after the U21 championships. However with Samba possibly on the move for £8m or so, I think teams may opt to go for that than a young English man who in two months time will probably have a value of over £10m slapped on him. Think Blackburn will be wanting to keep one of them two at the least, and there's been a lot of specualtion over Samba already so he could be the one.

Couple of Rovers fans on here though so they might have a better idea than I do. Just my two pennies worth.

Furthermore who would be willing to stump up the cash and who would they be willing to let him go to? Don't know if they'd want him going to a team other than a European calibre team, and unsure if any of them would come up with the cash/need him. So can see there being some interest but ultimately him sticking with Blackburn for a couple more seasons at least - as stated above.

Think some regular football will do him good.

As a Blackburn fan, I think he would stay. Samba on the other hand will be gone, likely to Arsenal or Spurs. It's a shame really because having them two at the back has shored up our defence big time, as, until Jones came back from injury, we leaked goals for fun.

Some Rovers fans are talking about 30m for the pair, which is too optimistic, but Jones would fetch a lot more than Samba I guess, just for being English.

As for regular football doing Jones good, he has been our first choice for the past 18 months, only not playing when he did his knee in. That won't change any time soon, future captain material.

Edited by cmb211087

Put it this way, I think we'll probably end up hearing more about Phil Jones than we will of Chris Smalling. Not a slight on Smalling for choosing to go to Man Utd, he'll probably make it as a good defender because they have brilliant coaches and facilities there - but I think a lack of time on the pitch in quality games will hinder him in the future, whereas Jones will probably spend a couple of years at Blackburn and when he does move on will move to a team as a starting centre back who has been playing in the Premiership since he was 19.

As it stands at the minute I can't see Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal wanting to spend on Jones. Possibly Spurs, Liverpool or Villa? - their fans on here would have to tell me whether or not I'm forgetting centre backs and/or up and coming centre backs who they could use instead (as I no doubt will have, plus they may opt for a cheaper and more experienced Samba anyways). And even then you'd have to wonder if they'd be willing to spend the cash they'd have to.

I'd say interest will rise soon in him, after the U21's but he'll opt to stay and in a year or two the situation will be reassessed.

Edited by IAceI

• Admin

If anything happens, I can see Samba going before Jones does, but since both Samba & Jones have a fair distance to go on their contracts (both signed extensions after the Jan window), people will have to stump up a fair bit of cash for them.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us want £10-£12m for Samba, and more for Jones (like someone said above - the extortionate price of a young British talent)

Sergio Aguero has finally admitted that he wants out of Atletico Madrid.

I imagine he will end up at City, given their Champions League place/possible loss of Tevez/piles of money. Alternatively, Atletico will relent and let him move to Real Madrid like he wants. Not going to hold my breath though.

• Admin
Atletico Madrid forward Sergio Aguero has asked the Spanish club to release him from his contract.

The 22-year-old Argentine international extended his deal to 2014 in January but his buy-out clause was reduced from £52m to £40m.

"After five intense years a stage in my personal development has ended and I have to move on to a new one," said Aguero on his website.

Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham have been linked to Aguero.

"I said long ago that when I wanted to go, I would say so publicly," added the Atletico striker. "And the time has come.

"So I keep to my word and here I am. I find it hard to leave Atletico. It hurts and saddens me."

Aguero has scored over 100 goals for Atletico since joining from Independiente as a teenager in 2006.

And this summer's transfer saga ensues.

EDIT: just beaten to it by stok :P

When it says "Chelsea have been linked to Aguero", it really means "over the past 3 years" as opposed to "right now", as it implies.

With Chelsea clearly chasing Neymar, I doubt they'd try for Aguero as well.

Just came to say Aguero to City. Especially if they lose Tevez.

Only really 2 teams that would be willing to pay his wages (I assume he'll want over £200k week?) and that's Real and City. And think City will probably go all out if Tevez walks.

Snodgrass to Sunderland with Norwich also interested. Whilst I think he's our best player, i think he's replaceable, in fact losing him could end up being a blessing in disguise as we could sign a wide midfielder rather than an attacking winger which would mean we could play 4-4-2 without having no-one in the middle of the park.

Not heard anything over the SMB yet but won't discredit it. We need a winger, preferably on the left as Malbranque is too slow and we'd need someone with a bit of speed who get beat a man rather than cutting inside all the time. Snodgrass would fit this bill right? And he's still young. Premiership quality would you say? I always quite liked Snodgrass in comparison to some of the other Leeds lot (which doesn't always say a great deal I'll admit) but always thought Snodgrass had something about him.