The Carling Cup 2011/12 Thread

Starvinho

Villa won 2-0

Game was good, liking Ireland.

Summ, were you there tonight, cause I saw a guy with a shirt saying 'Summers 87' on the back.

Wasn't him.

Summ's in Blackpool.

They should remove Premiership teams from the Carling Cup, or do away with it altogether. The top six aren't interested in it and anyone with the slightest chance of ending up in a relegation battle (at least 10 teams) don't see it as a priority and the rest by far would rather win the FA Cup.

Villa won 2-0

Game was good, liking Ireland.

Summ, were you there tonight, cause I saw a guy with a shirt saying 'Summers 87' on the back.

Wasn't him.

Summ's in Blackpool.

They should remove Premiership teams from the Carling Cup, or do away with it altogether. The top six aren't interested in it and anyone with the slightest chance of ending up in a relegation battle (at least 10 teams) don't see it as a priority and the rest by far would rather win the FA Cup.

I like this idea although removing the European spot and giving it to the league would be a must. It gives some Championship sides a chance of silverware, means we don't have to deal with the bother of people like Warnock saying they don't care and just get on with the league/FA cup.

Why is the EPL in it anyway ? It's the League Cup, of which the EPL is a separate entity.

The EPL still relegates into/promotes from the Football League system. Plus if they removed the Premier League teams then it would just be a slightly better JPT.

That's where I was going with it. Seems like the JPT should be the only cup outside of EPL clubs. FA already includes everyone. So the silly pro/rel 'tie' is the whole reason to grab money and stretch squads too thin ....... Sounds like an American made that decision :shifty:

Bristol City 0-1 Swindon

Exeter 1-3 Liverpool

Peterborough 0-2 Middlesbrough

West Ham 1-2 Aldershot

Aldershot come from 1-0 behind to nick a late winner against West Ham!

Edit:

Blackburn 3-1 Sheffield Wed

Bolton 2-1 Macclesfield

Everton 3-1 Sheffield Utd

Edited by Starvinho

Doncaster beating Leeds already

Matt :lol:

You do know we're in the same league as Leeds right? And until last season were a league above them?

Anyway, once again we played well without getting any reward. Bennett missed a golden opportunity when clean through, and we had a blatant penalty for handball denied in the second half. But Nunez scored two absolutely terrific goals, the way he's playing right now I can see him being a Premier League player by January.

We are in a deep hole and desperately need a win to kick start our season. If we can't beat Bristol City on Saturday then I'm not sure there's any hope.

A few of my friends were quite looking forward to a trip to London to see Carlisle take on West Ham, I wonder if they'll still want to go essentially the same distance to see Aldershot instead. :shifty:

Aldershot is lovely! <_<

No, but seriously, you've got Reading, Guildford and Farnborough nearby ... oh, I see what you mean. I'd not come down here either.

Remember I said no one in the Premiership gives a damn about the League Cup.

Alan Pardew

A good cup run is a priority this season.

sigh

We've not won a trophy since the 60's (apart from the Plaque of Awesomeness), I think its safe to say we'd be happy with the League Cup, as I'm sure a few other clubs would be. Either way, would you expect him to say 'nah, we're not arsed, might put Shola in goal for a laugh'?

• Like 1