Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Two shows in on a busy six months...

August: Trivium
September: Blue, Cascada and Theory of a Deadman
October: Funeral for a Friend, Dashboard Confessional and Electric Callboy
November: Waterparks and Stand Atlantic (and maybe Holding Absence)
December: The Darkness and The 900
January: Spanish Love Songs and Bring Me the Horizon
February: Enter Shikari

Hopefully the first acts for Slam Dunk 2024 get announced soon too. I've got my fingers crossed for at least one of ADTR, Rancid, or Rise Against!

• Like 1

Rise Against and Boys Like Girls are probably my top two wants to go back to Slam Dunk next year, although ADTR doing Homesick in full would be tempting.

I've got Fall Out Boy and Creeper to close out the year (as it stands) before Spanish Love Songs and BMTH in January; Simple Plan, The Blackout, and Bowling for Soup in February; then Foo Fighters in June.

I'm sure I remember Battles from mid 2000s NMEs, always nice to know some of these are still around.

I've had a few recently, went to see The Big Moon on a small venues tour last week in Sunderland. Really good set in a lovely little venue, I've realised as I've got older that I'm far more interested in girls who can actually sing than 4 smelly indie boys so this was perfect for me. Lots of kids in the crowd too so a nice atmosphere, I've been a fan for a while but with their crossover sound there's no logical reason why they aren't massive.

I also went to Generator Live, a little festival in Newcastle with cheap NHS tickets. Annoyingly it was Saturday, so I missed a few of the bands I wanted to see to go to the match instead, but managed to see Benefits (again) and a reforming Little Comets. Benefits are critically lauded, loved by megastars like Frank Black, but are fucking awful. I've seen 3 iterations of Kingsley's bands now, and Benefits are by far the worst version. Imagine some fairly shit poetry that you can't actually hear over the top of some static and some admittedly good angry drums and you cover it, it's basically the perfect band for Jez from Peep Show or Nathan Barley.

Little Comets were nice though.

Battles are fantastic - saw them back in the day, and again last year; really fun live, and perhaps more now that they're a two-piece and seem a lot more focused on just making great danceable music, whereas they could disappear up their own arses at times. 

I had a really unexpected impromptu gig on Friday, as my ex messaged me out of the blue to say she was in London and had a spare ticket to see Joe Hisaishi that night if I wanted it. It was a concert delayed three or four times due to Covid, and it was incredible - full orchestra, choir, and guest solo vocalists, performing pieces from every single Miyazaki Studio Ghibli film, including a snippet from his new one for the encore. One of those brilliant, life-affirming shows.

Next up, I have PJ Harvey this week, followed by Laibach in November (was also meant to be seeing They Might Be Giants that weekend, but sadly that's postponed until next year) and McLusky in December, which is a pretty good run. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Colly said:

CombiChrist is my favourite name there, sounds like a religious gas fitter.

I kind of like them, not sure if you've ever heard them. Kind of an acquired taste in that there Dancy and electronic, bit fucking heavy industrial stuff. It's kind of absurd and over the top but fun. 

Speaking of...we bought tickets for Ministry, Gary Numan, and Front Line Assembly. I'm pretty excited because I've actually never been to a show like this (heavy on synth and electronic stuff). I'm mostly excited for Gary Numan but I really like Ministry and Front Line Assembly is cool. Plus we got literal seats instead of General Admission. Hate to say but my old butt is going to spring a little extra for comfort when possible. Also its in a cool venue so that's always nice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure whether this would go here or in the films but as it's more music cross over figured this was the place. Decided to treat myself to an early birthday present and bought tickets to the premier of Sabatons new film "The War to End All Wars" at the RAF museum which will also include a Q& A with Joachim and Par so it should be really interesting. I've liked Yarnhubs videos for a while and it'll be interesting to see how the "plot" will revolve around the stories that are told and the music. It's going to be interesting at least if not a spectacular "must watch".

Then later in the month, Babymetal are back in London and unsurprisingly I'll be going to that too!

Yeah, it was Seattle at the Paramount, which is a very old theater that does a mix of live music (generally older, established acts that have an audience that would appreciate having seats) and touring Broadway shows.

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up treating myself to two of the Babymetal UK dates with both being in London, was meant to be going to Wolverhampton tonight but lift fell through and won't home in time for work tomorrow going by train. It was an amazing couple of nights and the Roundhouse was bouncing throughout. I've liked them almost since I first came across them about a decade ago but at the moment they seem to be getting better and better. Last nights show was the 13th anniversary of their first appearance as a sub-unit of the idol group they got their start in and it's amazing to think that they still seem to be getting better, not bad for a gimmicky act who were told they would fail and teachers warned them "don't get too disheartened when you fail and please keep trying to perform".

• 1 month later...