Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

So I have tickets for Cherubs. And GBH/MDC. And now Circle Jerks with the Descendents.

Mr. Bungle is coming in September which seemed like a cool idea but tickets are over 100 and they're basically just a thrash metal band. Easy pass.

Edit - just kidding I am going to Bungle. Whatever I searched for first didn't give me the lower priced stuff.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

So I have tickets for Cherubs. And GBH/MDC. And now Circle Jerks with the Descendents.

Mr. Bungle is coming in September which seemed like a cool idea but tickets are over 100 and they're basically just a thrash metal band. Easy pass.

Edit - just kidding I am going to Bungle. Whatever I searched for first didn't give me the lower priced stuff.

- They suck!

- 20 bucks

- Where do I sign? 😄

First gig for way too long last night after years of health and personal issues. Lordi, Babymetal and Sabaton at Wembley Arena. The first thing that stood out was how dated and much of a nightmare Wembley is these days. Queuing outside the venue wasn't too bad but once you get inside... horrible. First thing I did was get in a line for a bit of merch. 20 odd minutes in a relatively small queue just to get to the kiosk and be told "sorry we only do small and medium shirts from here. You need to go to this other one at the other end of the arena". So after all that no merch and missed the start of Lordi's set, then get into the auditorium and... the bar doesn't do soft drinks so you have to go outside again to get a drink and then there's the rule inside of "no leaning on walls" which for someone with knee and back problems meant by the end of the evening I was totally wrecked and really struggled through,. It's been so long since I'd been to Wembley I'd forgotten how much of a dive it could be.

Musically though I had a grin on my face from the first minute to last amidst the odd bit of tears at being at a gig again. Lordi were the sort of fun you'd expect alongside some funny asides between songs. Babymetal were amazing and I'd forgotten how good their support band are, really good instrumental work there alongside the high energy performances from the girls who judging by the reactions as the set went on made a fair few new friends by showing how good they are if you've got past the "gimmick". Sabaton to finish were incredibly good and I could easily see why they've got the reputation as one of the better live acts on the circuit these days. Very theatrical and pace the set well with higher energy stuff as well as knowing when to slow it down for some of the more emotive songs. A really good evening as far as performances go and three bands I'd have no problems with seeing again. I may need to go for seating but I'm sure at most venues I'd have had some where to lean to ease some of the stress on my body but it was great to be seeing live music again after several years!

• Like 3

Mrs Gazz got Elton John tickets for her birthday from her sister. Front row.

NINE HUNDRED BRITISH POUNDS!

Each.

• Confused 2

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, METALMAN said:

I’m not the biggest Bruce Springsteen fan but I’ve always thought he’s someone that is worth seeing before he jacks it all in/dies so I bought a ticket to see him in Edinburgh on Tuesday. Should be fun.

My dad went to see him at Hampden I think, played for 4 hours straight and only got stopped due to noise orders. 😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Did anyone here go to Slam Dunk this weekend? I've heard it was very poorly organised.

The south one, security on the door didn't check my mate's bag or do any kind of searching as far as I saw and at Scene Queen's set they failed to try and do anything to catch her coming back on stage after a dive into the crowd where she took a scary bump headfirst over the barrier. But I can't really have a go at the organisation much.

South security was super lax, you could've gotten literally anything in without any issues whatsoever. That's obviously good for certain people who want to have a good time without spending festival prices, but comes with major safety risks as well.

Pedestrian entry/exit was probably the best I've ever experienced but I heard that the car park was a nightmare in and out, with some people taking ~3 hours to leave. My group drove from our hotel for the NOFX gig last night and the route just isn't fit for heavy festival traffic, so I'm hardly surprised.

No idea if there were any water point issues but the one next to the stage they kept up for NOFX (whatever the one Enter Shikari headlined on was called) was totally fine yesterday.

I was at North and the queues for food at least were ridiculous. People queuing for over an hour, and the way all the stalls were clumped together caused a huge gridlock in the middle of the festival. Definitely needed more vendors and better organisation. Getting the shuttle bus afterwards was a nightmare too, we were in the queue for two hours.

Old Bruce was really good. I’ve never actually been to a stadium show before and it had all the annoying things I expected - not particularly good sound, lots of waiting, pain in the arse to get home from and so on. But it didn’t really matter because the show was so good. I wouldn’t say Springsteen is my favourite that I’ve ever seen in terms of the music itself, but I think he might be the best at putting on a show, which is a rare talent that far too many great musicians and songwriters are terrible at. I don’t think it was possible to have a bad time at this show.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

Old Bruce was really good. I’ve never actually been to a stadium show before and it had all the annoying things I expected - not particularly good sound, lots of waiting, pain in the arse to get home from and so on. But it didn’t really matter because the show was so good. I wouldn’t say Springsteen is my favourite that I’ve ever seen in terms of the music itself, but I think he might be the best at putting on a show, which is a rare talent that far too many great musicians and songwriters are terrible at. I don’t think it was possible to have a bad time at this show.

Ive seen Bruce Springsteen three times. His live shows are something else. The whole band clearly love it and its fun to watch them just have the craic for 3 hours.

If tickets hadnt been so expensive for his Dublin shows Id have probably gone just so my girlfriend could've experienced Bruce Springsteen Live at least once.

• Like 1

Saw The Cure last night. Phenomenal. Didn't make it there in time for the opener but given that they went two and a half hours with at most two very brief intermissions I got a full show regardless. "A Forest" in particular is brilliant live.

• Like 1

The upcoming Kiss tour in the UK seems to be selling very poorly. The Plymouth show has been cancelled and I've seen reports of people getting tickets for other shows for under £5. It's a rather predictable consequence of touring regularly, charging high prices and putting on essentially the same show for decades. Seeing it happen to Gene Simmons is particularly satisfying.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Malenko said:

PUP are really good live.

I'm taking my son. He likes them a lot in between the Ed Sheeran and Imagine Dragons. 

• Like 1