Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

5th time at Glastonbury, was a vintage year. Every act I saw was at least good, crowds were mega into everything I saw, perfect weather, good crew of us as well. Unashamedly being in the tent for Sugababes was probably the highlight, career spanning Pet Shop Boys set meant no regrets for missing Kendrick. Honourable mentions to Self Esteem, Jamie T, Confidence Man, The Avalanches, Herbie Hancock and Kacey Musgraves. Diana Ross was hella fun despite the wobbly vocals, who gives a shit anyway. 

Really felt being 3 years older and being that much fatter would ruin my festival but apart from my feet being in tatters, coped otherwise. Onwards to 2023.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that I'm less than 24 hours away from seeing Rage Against the Machine and Run the Jewels! I bought tix to this show in February 2020 so to say I've been looking forward to this is an understatement. 

On 22/06/2022 at 14:12, Skummy said:

Those tracks are very much my jam, hope it all goes well!

Just to follow up, it was fricking stellar. 117 people turned up in the end and the show was an intense post-rock/post-metal sweatbox. 

Onto some other bits we have coming up. Next weekend (22-24 July) we have a fringe festival happening in the city to coincide with an annual music festival (Tramlines). 

We're putting on 2.5 days of free music: 

(spoilered for image size)

Spoiler

Metallish Allsorts II 1080x1080 v2 (1).pngRock the Fringe II 1080x1080 (1).png

Spoiler

Y.A.S.S. I 1080x1080 (1).png

Here's some examples of the larger bands on the bill: 

Blind Summit: 

Awooga:

Death + Taxes: 

Anywho, it's all free entry, so if anyone's around feel free to swing by :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, METALMAN said:

I’m at the Libertines 20th anniversary gig. You know you’re an old fart when the bands of your youth have joined the heritage circuit.

I had friends in college with matching Libertines tattoos on their feet.

I hope they got to go too

• 3 weeks later...

I just procured tickets for Melt Banana in October. They're doing a huge tour and passing through Michigan. I couldn't pass this opportunity up. I like them a lot, but don't listen to them a ton but feel like it is a live experience I can't miss.

So my concert itinerary for the year stands at Bauhaus, Billy Bragg, and Melt Banana. Billy and Banana (lol) are the same weekend. All three are very much "see them now otherwise you'll regret it" shows for me. Very excited.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

went to see this Swedish punk band on a whim because they were playing for free at the Stockholm Cultural Festival this weekend.

they were fucking dope and i was like, "Oh man I can't wait to go see them again"

then two-thirds of the way through their show they said "This is our last concert ever, thank you for coming!"

gutted.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to my first proper (read: non-local band) gig in 9ish years in Manchester the other week as a Christmas present to my little sister (Set It Off) and I'm going to another one on Sunday as a present to my partner (Young Guns). Slowly recatching the live music bug and I'm not sure my bank account will thank me.

Phoebe Bridgers has announced a show in Singapore in 2023, so I can finally break my duck here for gigs! The majority of the shows rolling through are overpriced and just not my cup of tea, I was partially tempted by GnR a few weeks back, but at $150 a ticket, a bit too pricey for me.

31 minutes ago, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

Nice! Think I'm finishing the year between 65-70.

I have no chance of reaching close to the same number next year haha, but what a year, I will do something eventually about my must see live acts, and who I am looking forward to in 2023

108 is still my best for a year so far but there were definitely repeats so not sure exactly how many were unique to the year.

I've got 5 gigs and 2 one day festivals booked for next year and have a couple of other gigs I'm eyeing up budget depending.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the most grown up gig of my life two weeks ago, Paul Heaton from the Beautiful South. They aren't a band I've really put much effort into but I've always been aware he's a very good songwriter, and they're one of my wife's favourites so I happily went along. It was really ruddy good. We were probably in the bottom 10% age wise which is unusual, but as a 90 plus minute set for a non-massive fan I never switched off. Easy to forget how many hits they'd had, including back to Housemartins (I'd completely forgotten about Five Get Over Excited outside of Vic and Bob Tom Fun sketches...), so a fun night was had by all. For a guy in his 60s who looked like he had a cold (Jacqui Abbott had already pulled out) he's got an amazing voice.

• Like 2

love Paul Heaton, and haven't managed to see him live yet, but I've heard nothing but good stuff about this gig. I go to a lot of folk and jazz stuff, so I'm no stranger to being in the lower end of the age range for a gig, but my girlfriend's found it weird since I've started dragging her to stuff.

I think the Beautiful South (and by extension, to some extent, The Housemartins) got a bad rap for a while because they were the sort of band that Mums like, and the sort of band whose CDs you could buy in Woolworths and WH Smiths. They seemed very "safe". But actually, he's a brilliant songwriter and a great singer, and they did some really interesting stuff - and he continues to do so.

I might end up going to see him tomorrow - my girlfriend and friends are seeing the ABBA thing during the day, and then we were due to go see 2ManyDJs at Brixton Academy at 9:30pm, but after what's happened at Brixton Academy last night, that's unlikely to go ahead. One of the best things about Paul Heaton, though, is that his tickets are capped at £30 + fees, so it's not like leaving it last minute is going to cost me an arm and a leg if we do end up going.

Yeah we only paid £30, as a skinflint it was much appreciated. Seriously though, imagine playing for an hour and still having that final 8 to squeeze in with two encores...

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-heaton/2022/stockton-globe-stockton-on-tees-england-13bf6d6d.html

• Like 1