Gigs gigs gigs

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Anyone here seen RTJ or Big Boi (or both) live? A museum in northwestern Arkansas is doing an exhibit called "The Dirty South: Contemporary Art, Material Culture, and the Sonic Impulse", and as part of it they're hosting RTJ and Big Boi for a concert on July 16th. 

If I can get a steady job between now and then I'm real tempted to go, but fuck, it's $200 for premium seating or $98 general admission. I'm used to paying like, $10-$25 a pop for shows..

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2022 at 22:23, Serpenticloud said:

Anyone here seen RTJ or Big Boi (or both) live? A museum in northwestern Arkansas is doing an exhibit called "The Dirty South: Contemporary Art, Material Culture, and the Sonic Impulse", and as part of it they're hosting RTJ and Big Boi for a concert on July 16th. 

If I can get a steady job between now and then I'm real tempted to go, but fuck, it's $200 for premium seating or $98 general admission. I'm used to paying like, $10-$25 a pop for shows..

Yes, I saw RTJ in Atlanta in 2017 with Big Boi and they tore the house down, always put on a great show.

• Like 1

Went to Slam Dunk South last week, was my first live music since 2019 as I didn't go last year on account of half the bands I wanted to see pulling out.

Meet Me at the Altar were pretty disappointing, though this could've been down to the poor sound mixing more than anything else. Also a lot of people were annoyed at this time of day as the bars were still struggling to get their payment systems set up.

Hot Milk sounded great considering they immediately followed MM@TA on the same stage, I was queuing for a drink at the time but was still in good earshot of their performance. I have a feeling they'll be one of the next "big" alternative acts in the UK.

Punk Rock Factory were fine. A lot of people turned out for them but I wasn't too bothered by their gimmick of doing (mostly) Disney covers as a live act.

MC Lars was solid, a very professional performance that was short and sweet, arguably too short but that's better than dragging it out.

I'd originally planned to see Electric Callboy here but schedule changes due to a late drop out made me change things up a bit. Hoping they do a proper UK tour (ideally including Norwich) at some point, they have a few dates booked for later in the year, but I can't afford to justify spending more on a single gig than I did for this entire festival.

Mod Sun really impressed me. My friend had a medical emergency during his set, so I didn't get to see all of it, but I loved the energy he brought to the stage. Like Hot Milk, I think he'll be one of the next mainstream-ish breakthroughs, especially due to his connections to the likes of Avril Lavigne and MGK, and experiences as a music producer. He's basically John Feldmann for late Milennials/Gen Z, in terms of knowing the sound/vibes that young alternative music fans want.

The Wonder Years were the band I was most looking forward to. They ended up playing two albums in full, back to back, due to Motion City Soundtrack pulling out at the last minute. I lost my glasses to the mosh pit towards the end of The Upsides, but it was worth it.

The Interrupters were supposed to be opening for the Hella Mega Tour when it was originally scheduled for 2020, which I was looking forward to as much as the headline acts. Unfortunately they don't seem to be doing it now, so I was glad to catch them again after loving their Slam Dunk set back in 2019. They'd moved from being an early afternoon act on the 2nd stage to early evening on the main stage, so clearly their stock has risen in that time.

Alexisonfire was a great last minute call. I'd originally planned my day a little differently and not even considered them at all. I'm glad I did though as, although I didn't stay for the full set, the mosh pit was a fun experience.

Neck Deep drew a huge crowd that I didn't delve too deeply into, as they were already half way through their set by the time I arrived at their stage. I have a feeling they've found their limit as the 2nd stage headliners/headliner's warm up act as far as Slam Dunk is concerned though.

Deaf Havana used to be my favourite band, so it was a huge hit of nostalgia to watch their entire set up close. Glad I made the effort.

Sum 41 were the main stage headliners and naturally drew a huge crowd with their setlist of classics and high production performance. I managed to catch the final song and a half, which was good enough for me having seen them live in about 2016/17.

Slam Dunk easily remains the most appealing festival for me, Download is three times longer but has less than half the bands I'd actually want to see. The only band I'm jealous of people who have gone to Download this year, are A Day to Remember. They were supposed to play a show the day before Slam Dunk South in 2020, so I'm hoping that they finally make an appearance at some point.

Looking forward to the Hella Mega Tour later this month as it means I can add Green Day, Fall Out Boy, and Weezer to my list!

• Like 1

Was at the dive bar Crossroads last night for Brian Fallon's annual gig there. Instead of it being just him doing his acoustic set, they did a surprise Gaslight Anthem show. They wanted their first official performance back together as a band to be there instead of the European tour coming up.

It was the greatest concert of my life.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2022 at 22:13, METALMAN said:

Bought a ticket for Libertines and the Cribs out of nothing but pure nostalgia, because I don’t imagine either will be particularly good. Just to pretend that I’m a teenager for a night. Classic boomer move.

This reminded me that having not been to a gig since Covid I randomly stumbled upon free NHS tickets to completely relive 2002 (where I was still technically just about a teenager) over the last two weeks.

Went to see The Coral, The Cribs and The Music (who had reformed for it and clearly wouldn't have otherwise headlined), and all three were great. It was at the old Leeds Festival site for added nostalgia, but with far better food and toilets, so 39 year old me appreciated it.

Then last weekend we got tickets for the Libertines in Newcastle in a circus tent. Got there lateish with it being free, and only saw DMAs of the support (awful). Really enjoyed the Libs though, and the drummer somehow ended up delayed so they started with a guitar tech and a frantically rearranged set list to accommodate. Made it brilliantly chaotic until he arrived, with a set randomly peppered with Pete doing snippets of Lindisfarne. Slightly spoiled by a load of coked up idiots who looked older than me, but avoidable thankfully. Pete looks like he's eaten Pete, but given the last time I saw him was playing an entire solo set in Middlesbrough leaning against a pillar he looks very happy and healthy which is good.

Just waiting on tickets for Joe Lean and the Jing Jang Jong now.

• Like 1

Ah that sounds good on both counts! I'd have been up for seeing the Coral too, actually. Only vaguely remember the Music, think they were around just before I started paying attention. I'd be well up for seeing Joe Lean and the Jing Hang Jong. Expecting the debut album to be finalised any moment now.

Was also unexpectedly offered a ticket for Herbie Hancock tomorrow. Nice. I'm a fan but had no idea he was still even playing so that's cool.

From a promoter's perspective, shows seem to have finally started to pick up. We're doing an album launch for a local post-rock band and we've shifted a healthy number of tickets for it. 

In fact, if instrumental post-rock is your bag, and Sheffield is near/commutable for you, I highly recommend the show: 

image.png

https://www.facebook.com/events/632853547972249

A few tracks: 

• Like 1

Those tracks are very much my jam, hope it all goes well!

I went to see Nine Inch Nails in Brixton last night. They were one of my first "proper" gigs, and the first one I traveled from Jersey to London for, seventeen years ago, in the same venue, and I hadn't seen them since. It was a totally different vibe to last time, which was quite moody and very goth, this almost felt like Nine Inch Nails doing stadium rock at times - they even got people hand-clapping during an encore of Hurt, and somehow managed to turn that song into something almost hopeful; ending on a major key delivery of the line, "I will find a way...".

The setlist was bonkers, stuff pulled from across their career, some of it played straight, some reinvented. They played The Perfect Drug, which they didn't play live at all for more than 20 years, so that was amazing. They played I'm Afraid of Americans, their David Bowie collaboration, which was a really fun surprise that I really enjoyed, and then did an even more surprising follow-up by covering Bowie's "Fashion", and basically playing it straight.

The first song of the encore, if I remember correctly, was Reptile, one of my favourite NIN songs, and they turned into a really oppressively heavy dirge. That's very much a compliment. 

• Like 3

Cigar absolutely melted my face off last night in Graz, totally worth the 5am 3 hour bus back to Vienna this morning and straight into work. Truly a hidden gem from the 90s skate punk scene and so glad they're back now with a new album dropping on Fat Wreck.

• Like 1