Your first CD/Cassette/Record

VerbalPuke

But just imagine a couple of years down the line when we'll be discussing "What was the first mp3 you bought?"

Am i the only one who's never bought songs on mp3? Because, no one that i know is buying CD's anymore except me. There's just something on getting the albums and browse the booklets than getting a mp3 on my computer screen. I'm probably gonna buy all of my music on CD as long as they keep releasing it on that format.

I've never bought an mp3. I always buy CDs, as I like owning the physical thing.

Yeah, I never quite got the appeal of buying MP3s either. When I buy the music, I usually buy CDs and sometimes vinyls.

The first album I bought by myself was probably Kid Rock - Cocky. I was eleven or so :blush:.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember having The Jungle Book soundtrack and Snoopy vs. The Red Baron on vinyl that I would listen to when I was little. The first CD I had was either All the Pain Money Can Buy by Fastball or the Men in Black soundtrack. The first one I bought myself was Astro Lounge by Smash Mouth.

Guest Canary4life

The first proper CD I bought was Muses' "Black Holes and Revelations", although I swear that I have an old dancing CD lying around somewhere that my auntie bought for me as a joke.

The first I owned I have no idea, probably some 90s pop shit (a guess would be whichever Now (TWICM) had Angels by Robbie on it, I remember having that.. and probably still do at the back of my CD cupboard somewhere) or something that my mum/dad wanted me to listen to - so potentially anything from The Beatles to The Pet Shop Boys.

The first I bought myself with my own pocket/birthday (whichever it was) money was Marshall Mathers LP (granted my mum had to buy it for me cos HMV wouldn't sell it to a 9 year old :shifty: ), which I'm pretty happy with to be honest, my musical taste was shit until sort of 2003-ish, so for my first album to be one I still like and listen to is quite fortunate.

Looking back I don't think my mum could've possibly known how explicit that album was to let me have that, even if I do remember her threatening that "I could forget soap, she'd wash my mouth out with bleach if I swore in front of her"... Yorkshire women, eh?

Edit: Sorry for the parentheses abuse.

A 9 year old with Eminem? Yeah I'm not even comfortable with that

Yeah, I can only assume my mum didn't really know who Eminem was and what his music consisted of... There's no way I'd let my kid listen to Eminem at 9. >_<

I think the first record given to me was some sort of boyband thing, I was 7 or 8 or something; it was either Westlife or Five or something like that. I didn't begin buying my own records before I was 12 or 13, and it was probably a Dimmu Borgir album. Man, I had shitty taste back then. I am much prouder of my first vinyl, though; Possessed's Seven Churches, awesome album.

I think it was Metallica's self-titled album. Not sure.

EDIT: Wait, it's either that or Kid Rock's Devil Without A Cause.

• 2 weeks later...

First CD single was "Ain't Talkin' Bout Dub" by Apollo 440.

First three CD albums were Alisha's Attic, Alanis Morissette and Third Eye Blind.

No idea what my first cassette was (probably a NOW album) but my last cassette single was this beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1wvtGOBV-g

Wonderful.

There's stuff I had given to me before, or stuff I asked for, like the Turtle Power movie theme (y'know T-U-R-T-L-E POWAH!) which I still have on vinyl, but the first CD I actually bought for myself was Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory. And fuck you, I stand by it, they've gone to shit in the last few years, but Hybrid Theory is quality. Couple of months after that I got Nirvana's Nevermind, Nickelback's Silver Side Up )loved it at the time, massively soured on it since_, and Lostprophets' greatest, Fake sounds of Progress (still one of my all time favourites).

First CD given to me

220px-Nickelback_-_Silver_Side_Up_-_CD_cover.jpg

Nickelback - Silver Side Up

It's not 'that' bad, it's just not that good either. Just realised that this came out on 9/11

First CD I bought

00155d82_medium.jpeg

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way

After listening to so many one or two track wonder CDs it was refreshing to see an album that was mostly hit rather than miss. Granted looking back it appears to be a trainwreck bar a few solid songs but back then it was pretty damn revolutionary to my 13 year old mind.

And just to show off my pretentiousness, here's the first vinyl I actually bought

tumblr_lp1vm6vRJI1qhn1hko1_500.jpg

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

I've listened to this album so many times since I bought it that it's lucky to still be working. Amazing fuzzy folk music :D

Now everyone after me. I love youuuu Jesus Chriiiiist

Edited by The General

First cassette was 'Like You Do' - Lightning Seeds (Best of). 'Three Lions' had just come out and my Dad mostly paid for it anyway.

I cannot remember the first CD I bought, strangely enough. I thought it was 'Chocolate Starfish', but then I remembered when I tried to buy it at Woolworths they wouldn't let me because of the 'Parental Advisory' sticker. I was downloading back in the WinMX days so I got it that way. I don't think I personally purchased a CD until October 23rd 2002 - my birthday, that's how I remember - when I got 'Origin of Symmetry' by Muse and 'Come Clean' by Puddle of Mudd together.