Cricket!

nabeel

• 1 month later...

This pitch is the epitome of what kills test cricket, nothing in it at all for the bowlers and the batsmen feast out for five days, usually to appease the Indian fans who turn up to see Kohli/Tendulkar/Gavaskar bat, and literally leave the ground if they get out.

Not taking anything away from Root's innings, but if there's no fair contest between bat and ball the match offers little interest.

• Like 1

Turns out that pitch fell apart fairly quickly, then seemingly magically became flat again overnight. One of the big advantages to playing at home is having a ground staff willing to work/not work on the pitch dependent on what the home team's situation is, we do the same here.

Thankfully that didn't last and Jimmy's mega over and Leach got us over the line. Huge win given India's record at home.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say because the ground staff saw how bad England were against spin in the last match, and doubled-down to create an even more spin-friendly one. In the process they made it impossible for their own team to bat on as well.

The stupid thing is that if this was a County Championship game there would be fines, points deductions and suspensions handed out left, right and centre, but despite this being a far worse pitch in a far more important match, this is India so nothing will happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The pitch from the third test has been given an "average" rating by the Indian match referee and Indian umpires, so there will be no investigation or punishment. Meanwhile my club team once got docked 3 points in the league for a pitch that scored 10 out of 20 in the umpires' review.

• 2 months later...

Devon Conway played against the team I scored for over a decade ago. One of our players made 293, he made 8, but only one of them has a test century on debut. Jack Leach was also in the opposition, took 0-78, and got reverse-swept for 6 four times in a row.

https://corsham.play-cricket.com/website/results/1305373

32 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Devon Conway played against the team I scored for over a decade ago. One of our players made 293, he made 8, but only one of them has a test century on debut. Jack Leach was also in the opposition, took 0-78, and got reverse-swept for 6 four times in a row.

https://corsham.play-cricket.com/website/results/1305373

He's usurped one of our old overseas at the top of the order, but Blunders will no doubt take Watling's place after the final. Is there anyone more underrated than Watling over the last generation of test match cricketers? Has been a class act for NZ for so long. Can't think of many who have averaged as much as he has both batting and keeping in the top 6 in recent years, perhaps Sangakkara back in the 00s when he kept though seems De Kock is finally moving up the order.

One of Conway's old clubs collapsed pre-Covid in 2019, Vauxhall Mallards who were in the EAPL and were pretty much always in the top tier. Ridiculous to think what should be an amateur cricket club can spend themselves into oblivion but I suppose that's unfortunately the way the game is going.

Oh absolutely. In the leagues around here the amount of spending on players, usually former county players looking for a payday, is insane. One spends £35,000 a year (for playing and coaching) on someone who barely played a game for Gloucestershire, others spend over £50,000 on their entire team, often paying for them to travel from hours away to play in a village that has a population of under 100. But they also win the league, so it works I guess. I should note that the league has no prize money.

It's not even just players either. Before I quit because social anxiety is fun, I got £20 a game for scoring and team managing, meanwhile the same club as the 35k player was paying their scorer £100 a game, plus petrol and food/drink expenses. If it gets to that level, it's gone mad.