EWB Top 20 Rappers Of All Time (Results)

HeyThereVelvet

am i the only one who likes eminem?

Kind of a silly question to ask in this thread after these results.

Eminem at #1 is sigh-inducing, but then I'm the guy who had Kanye West at #1 on mine so I'm one to talk.

I can agree with Eminem. We are predominantly a white board. I don't know about hip-hop/rap in the States but it was largely non-existent in Australia before Eminem showed up. Well at least white guys liking it was non-existent. I remember I got blank looks when I was talking about Biggy and Death Row back when I was in high school. I think Run-DMC was the last time before Eminem white people over here listened to rap.

Greatest rapper? Not by a mile, but like Nirvana I think he opened up the door for a lot of new artists to come through. Or at least widened people's interests so they took notice of other rappers.

Amen to Eminem being ahead of Jay Z and Kanye West, thank fuck for that.

Shame on EWB for no women featuring on the list though.

Who would you suggest?

I'm somewhat content with the list. Like earlier mentioned, a few shuffles here and there but a good list.

Not a fan of Eminem and wouldn't have had him at number 1 but can understand why people put him there.

Amen to Eminem being ahead of Jay Z and Kanye West, thank fuck for that.

Shame on EWB for no women featuring on the list though.

Who would you suggest?

I'm somewhat content with the list. Like earlier mentioned, a few shuffles here and there but a good list.

Not a fan of Eminem and wouldn't have had him at number 1 but can understand why people put him there.

MC Lyte, Lauryn Hill and Lil Kim just to name a few. The ladies always seem to get overlooked on a list like this though, so no real surprise.

I was really close to putting Lauryn Hill as my #10, but I couldn't justify it after leaving out Snoop, Talib, Common, KRS- One and then have to cut Method Man too.

The list came out pretty decent, I would have guessed Kanye, Jay Z or Eminem to win it anyway, so although I don't agree with it as such I understand. I'm really glad Black Thought made the list at any number though; whenever I talk to anyone I know about hip hop the Roots is always the group I get the most blank faces on. Admittedly the interest in hip hop in the North East of England isn't sky high, but people should really know who the Roots are.

Edited by Ben E.

Needed more B-Real. I didn't vote because my choices would've been very mainstream (probably Eminem, Dre, Tupac, B-Real, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, Snoop, Biggie, Nate Dogg and Nas in some order) and I didn't want to distort the votes seeing as the majority of voters listen to more than the mainstream stuff. I'm surprised Eminem made it to number one, I expected there to be a rap equivalent of the Gaslight Anthem that EWB has an irrational love for.

Guest JukeboxHero

I don't get where the Eminem hate comes from. He might be the most technically skilled rapper in history.

This.

I'm not as in to rap as a lot of people here are (I'm more of a classic rock and country music kinda guy, but I listen to pretty much anything), but Eminem is phenomenal. There was no doubt in my mind when I made my list that he'd be #1.

Sure Eminem is one of the most "technically skilled" rapper (which is bullshit and, even if true, means jack shit), but he only raps about 5 different things. Either he has beef with a family member/some chick, he loves his daughter, he hates the entertainment business or he's doing some juvenile song about poop. It's really pedestrian at this point.

Edited by RockPaperScissors

Now that the list is complete. I can put my thoughts in.

I think Eminem should have been in the top 15, but no where near the number 1 spot. IMO the number 1 spot should have gone to Nas, Pac or Biggie.

Eminem is a great rapper, but a lot of people have such a hard on for him it's unbelievable. he's top 15, not number 1.

People who say he's the most technically skilled are so wrong BTW. Nas, Mos Def, Biggie, Black Thought, etc. Are SO much better when it comes to the skill department. There are many more to name. I knew Eminem would be number one, he actually ran away with the voting, winning with 137 points. I like the list though, we got everyone on there.

am i the only one who likes eminem?

Kind of a silly question to ask in this thread after these results.

Eminem at #1 is sigh-inducing, but then I'm the guy who had Kanye West at #1 on mine so I'm one to talk.

But, that's okay, because Kanye West isn't boring like Eminem is.

No, no, no, no!

Eminem is nowhere near the techinal level of a Tupac, Biggie, Nas, pre-Kingdom Come Jay-Z, KRS-One (and I don't even like him like that), or Kayne, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Em is a very good rapper, and a GREAT freestyler, but no he's not the most techinal rapper ever.