EWB Top 20 Rappers Of All Time (Results)

HeyThereVelvet

• 2 weeks later...

Kanye at 5, ahead of 2Pac?

Jay-Z ahead of Biggie?

Lil' Wayne? 10 years ago I was all over that Cash Money shit and still didn't like Weezy much.

Eminem at 1?

Fail EWB, just fail.

Biggie and Pac should be 1-2. Nas 3. Could put Jay at 5. Eminem is 6-10 range at best, Kayne slightly below him. lol at Lil' Wayne being anywhere near this list.

• Like 2

I didn't vote, so I wont complain too much. Is there no love for the old school though? No Rakim, KRS or Big Daddy Kane? Kool G Rap? Slick Rick? Fresh Prince? Hell, I don't even like him that much, but no LL?

Don't get the hate for Em either. I probably wouldn't have him at 1, but he's definitely top 5 at the very least.

I missed a lot. So here's a quick run-down.

Q-Tip - is really good. I like him. He is still good too.

Busta Rhymes - Would never buy an album, though I like the odd song.

Saul Williams - In all honestly, all I know of Saul Williams is the tune he did with Janelle Monae. I know he's highly thought of round these parts.

Black Thought - Never heard of him before. I do like the Roots though, so I suppose I like him by proxy.

Lil Wayne - I love this guy. The more mainstream and cheesy he gets, the more I like him. Rebirth notwithstanding.

Eazy E - Is an icon, but more for his image than his music. Still good music though. NWA stuff is magical.

Tech N9ne - I don't know this guy

GZA - wonderful

Andre 3000 - my favourite. Possibly. Although my love for him is more down to his inventiveness and versatility than his rapping.

Lupe Fiasco - I like Food & Liqour. Most recent one is decidedly awful. Except first song, which is exceedingly cheesy and fun.

Dr. Dre - Chronic is sublime, while 2001 is merely very good. I didn't like the new song very much, and I still hate him a bit for inflicting Eminem upon the world.

Ghostface Killah - Can do it all. Probably offers up my favourite example of "respected rapper going cheesy" with Back Like That. Wonderful tune.

2Pac - never got into him. Ought I?

Kanye West - I really like his first two albums. Can take or leave the rest. I really hate his technique of just stealing a sample, and barely tweaking it at all. Height of laziness. See his ruining of "Move On Up" (one of the best songs ever) and "Try A Little Tenderness" for example. Aside from that - not many complaints.

Nas - bizarrely enough, considering his critical and commercial success, I've only listened to his album with Damien Marley, and that is more down to me being a big Damien Marley fan. Really good album though. Meaning to try the rest, not got round to it.

Notorious B.I.G. - see 2Pac. My knowledge of the 90s is quite biased towards the west.

Jay Z - he's alright. Can understand why he's so successful.

Eminem - is fucking shit. Alright? Although again, I can understand why he's successful - it's music for thickos.

Also Tyler and his gang? Epidemic case of Emperor's New Clothes. A collective unskilled and uninspired, who have gained "notoriety" for being "controversial", despite doing nothing at all of note. Alright, Yonkers was okay.

Slick Rick is "fucking boring"? The guy has one of the most unique styles in hip hop history in both his raps and appearance. If someone like him started rapping tomorrow, you'd probably love this new rapper for being 'different' in the same way Eminem got fans when he started or Tyler has recently.