EWB Top 20 Rappers Of All Time (Results)

HeyThereVelvet

Eminem isn't better than Kanye? What? Yeezy has no real technical proficiency, it's all down to his lyrics and innovative production. Eminem's so much better than him technically that they can't even be compared. He's also better than Tupac and Jay-Z, though both are clearly better lyricists. Em gets a lot of backlash because people who don't normally like rap put him on a pedestal, but whether or not you like his style and subject matter, the fact is that under it all, the dude's insanely skilled.

I'm personally a huge Eminem fan and was very happy to see him get number one. There seemingly is an Eminem song for every type of mood I'm in. He's provided songs to make you laugh, feel heart-break, become pumped up, and more. And over the years we've seen him constantly evolve as an artist. You wouldn't ever have to read a biography about Eminem to know about his life. He shares it in his music and has let everyone into his world. There are many artists (especially in this genre) who wouldn't portray themselves in a negative light or as a loser, but I get the sense Eminem has been honest with us. We know about his struggles as much, if not more, than his triumph.

For his combination of skills and success I think he absolutely deserves #1. Plus, I'd even say "Lose Yourself" is the greatest song in the history of the genre, and one of the best songs written in the past 25 years. I remember seeing him perform it live at Yankee Stadium, and it still gives me chills. While I wasn't a big fan of Relapse, but I think every one of his other albums is great (probably enjoy Marshall Mathers LP the most). Also whenever he's a guest on another artist's album he seemingly steals the show and helps create classic rap/hip-hop jams (Patiently Waiting w/ 50, Forgot About Dre w/ Dre, & Forever w/ Drake) just to name a few.

So yea, I'm satisfied with the results here.

Edited by Panni89
  • Like 2

My obviously very unbiased and technically-focused criterion for Eminem vs. everyone else in the top twenty sort of boils down to this for me.

Eminem made "Just Lose It."

Everybody else in this list didn't make "Just Lose It."

Therefore everybody else in this list > Eminem.

SMH

I understand people will have different tastes in music (which why arguing this is pointless), but the fact that people think Eminem is better than Tupac is sad (and this is coming from someone who was born and rasied IN DETROIT).

I don't even have to say "If Eminem was black..." because I can just point my finger to someone

*points at Tyler, The Creator*

Is Eminem technically proficient and amazing? Who cares! Technical proficiency has rarely been used as an indicator of greatness or enjoyment in pop music. If Poopy Jam the rapper could spit out 80 words per second, it wouldn't really matter if he couldn't connect with an audience. Ultimately, that's a rapper's job. It's not to make people go "OH MY GOSH AMAZING HE IS SPITTING THOSE RHYMES SO FAST". It's for people to be brought together by somebody who is telling a story, either with a guitar or lyrics or electronic blippity-blop. Bob Dylan isn't technically the greatest singer in the world, but people still say he is because he connects with his audience in a way that is unmatched by others in his field. Ditto for Eminem.

• Like 1

SMH

I understand people will have different tastes in music (which why arguing this is pointless), but the fact that people think Eminem is better than Tupac is sad (and this is coming from someone who was born and rasied IN DETROIT).

I don't even have to say "If Eminem was black..." because I can just point my finger to someone

*points at Tyler, The Creator*

Atleast Tyler makes his own beats and videos, all Eminem can say is he's a "technically proficient rapper", or whatever you guys are saying. It's all well and good that Eminem evolved as an artist, but that doesn't mean the progression didn't fucking suck.

Shut up about Eminem for a tick and lets talk about this; NO BEASTIE BOYS?! :angry:

I don't think groups were allowed in the list.

Also, Kanye West >>>>>>>>>>>>> Eminem.

We couldn't vote for them as a whole and I didn't really feel right voting for any singular one (I probably would have went with Mike D.).

I'd have to go with Ad-Rock.

As a massive Eminem fan I'm glad he got the #1 spot. I don't know enough about rap to talk about the technical side of it, but The Eminem Show is my favourite album, so I'm pretty pleased to see him grab the top spot. Loved him as a kid and I still really enjoy him now. The list needed more Tyler the Creator.

Also, I don't think Eminem winning this is comparable to EWB's hard on for Gaslight; I mean, Eminem is hugely popular and I'd have pegged him to win this list. Gaslight are really good, don't get me wrong, but they don't even touch Eminem in terms of popularity and are a much more obscure choice to top a 'favourite' something list.

Wait...am I the only person that voted for Sage Francis? Seriously, fuck you EWB.

Also, I'm annoyed I forgot to vote for Speech Debelle.

I haven't really been impressed by his latest offerings. Although, had I actually voted for this, he'd still most likely would have made my top ten.

Seems to me a lot of the Eminem votes came from members who don't really post all that much, at least that's the impression that I got when I looked over the list when it was still in the voting stage.

That's kind of what always happens. I know there are shows I dislike that place super-highly in the year-end TV list and I'm like "oh my god, who even voted for this" only to find out it's people I don't even know.

As a massive Eminem fan I'm glad he got the #1 spot. I don't know enough about rap to talk about the technical side of it, but The Eminem Show is my favourite album, so I'm pretty pleased to see him grab the top spot. Loved him as a kid and I still really enjoy him now. The list needed more Tyler the Creator.

Also, I don't think Eminem winning this is comparable to EWB's hard on for Gaslight; I mean, Eminem is hugely popular and I'd have pegged him to win this list. Gaslight are really good, don't get me wrong, but they don't even touch Eminem in terms of popularity and are a much more obscure choice to top a 'favourite' something list.

Given that I'm pretty sure I was the only one that mentioned Gaslight Anthem, I'm taking it this was in response to me, in which case you misunderstood what I said/meant. What I meant was I expected there to be some obscure-ish rapper that all EWB loved for some reason that won this in the same way that Gaslight Anthem are/were pretty obscure and loved for some reason by EWB, meaning they win/do well in the best artist contest regularly.