The Penn State Scandal

sahyder1

I like Quom's non-gimmick posts, that was a fantastic reponse. The only way I heard about this story was through this topic and I've been very interested in finding out the details about the case. The whole thing is fucking disgusting - and presumably saving the school's rep in favour of keeping this man out of jail is wrong beyond words.

The only thing about your post Quom, is that if the coach didn't know very much, or had only heard a rumour, surely he would've prosted that in the past few days. I don't know enough about the situation, but that was a question that popped into my head.

Hey that makes it sound like you dislike my gimmick posts :crying:

It depends. He did give an interview which was basically a "I want to keep coaching and lets put this tragedy behind us" interview a few days ago. I don't work in PR, but it may be that he's waiting for the fire to die down a little before he releases a statement about his involvement. At the moment tempers are high and people don't necessarily seem to be thinking straight. So it may be that he doesn't want to say anything on the topic for fear of whipping it up even further. It could also be because he genuinely does love the school and whilst all eyes are on him he thinks it's protecting the school. It could also be that at the moment he's having it fairly easy because there is conjecture about his involvement and if he comes forward with a denial people still won't believe it or will turn and believe he's lying, whereas if he waits for some facts to come out showing he had no involvement then it's safer/people will believe it if he comes out and says he had no involvement.

I don't really care either way, like I said if it turns out he did have reason to report then he's as much scum as everyone else. I'm just confused as to why so much of the anger is aimed at him at the moment. Especially when there are plenty of fuckers to be raging about who definitely knew what was happening. Including it seems the police.

If the police did already know and were complicit in the cover up then what would a report have achieved anyway? I'm not defending him, but if I went to management and said "Thingy told me he saw Whatsit fucking a ten year old in the showers" and management told me police were already informed and I believed this to be true, then again I'd likely not put in a report.

This is all a great big fucking mess.

Whether people want to admit it or not this is a poison for the entire school and anyone in any position of power relating at all to having any control of this team needs to be fired. Campus police definitely knew, which presumably means the Dean knew.

They need to clear house completely and establish a victims fund like yesterday. I'd be suspending every single person pending the completion of this investigation. If it means whole branches of the school are shut down and the Dean and the higher ups are also removed and a caretaker put in place then so be it.

This is the inaction which is inexcusable. Currently the perception is that the cover up is continuing and that the entire college is complicit with the rapes. It's why Paterno is the wrong target. He's just a link on the chain and potentially the strongest as far as his in/action goes. Why not look to the higher ups who must have known something was happening and focus on them? It is beyond any level of believability that there hasn't been a cover up established and controlled by members of the school in a much higher position than football coach. Someone directed the campus police to bury it, I really can't see a football coach having that sort of authority.

Don't be silly, your gimmick posting is great. (Y)

http://mobile.pennlive.com/advpenn/pm_103983/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=YpInb8QJ

Mobile site so idunno how it'll appear on desktops but the gist of the article is that Mcquery is out as receivers coach and in protective custody

Ed Schultz is discussing it now on MSNBC, but there's an increasing call for the NCAA to invoke the "death penalty" on Penn State's football team and/or athletic department.

Star Tribune weighs in

Mike McQueary did not do enough when he saw Jerry Sandusky with a boy in the Penn State showers. Joe Paterno did not do enough when told of Sandusky's crime. The Penn State administration did not do enough to protect children on its campus while Sandusky used the auspices of the football program to pursue victims for more than a decade.

Now the Penn State trustees is proving that in Happy Valley, inaction and shortsightedness are endemic. Even while dismissing the president of the university and their famous football coach, the trustees are failing to grasp the enormity of the crimes committed on their watch.

What we know now is that key members of the Penn State football program were serial enablers of child rape and molestation.

Dismissing the university president and athletic director is not enough, not when your campus has been used as a safe haven and hunting ground by a pedophile. Firing Paterno is not enough, not when Paterno neglected to use his immense power to halt the abuse of children.

It is time for the powers that be to use their powers pointedly and appropriately.

Penn State should cancel the rest of the football season.

The NCAA should investigate the football program and consider the death penalty.

Many of the people who rioted on the Penn State campus Wednesday night in protest of Paterno's dismissal probably plan to attend the football game on campus Saturday. They should not be given any forum in which to voice their delusions, and certainly not a 106,572-seat stadium in which to hold an undeserved memorial to Paterno's tainted career.

Playing a football game on that campus at this time would trivialize the abuse of children on that campus, would signal to the many victims and those who care about them that beating Nebraska is more important than beginning the arduous process of cleansing the program.

Playing a football game on Saturday originally would have meant allowing McQueary to coach. No one should have to see that, and no one will, as the school said Thursday night he will sit out because of threats made against him.

Cancelling the game does not require much thought or backbone. It is the only conscionable decision.

The NCAA must display a conscience as well. This is an institution that punishes coaches for offering their players rides, that shut down Southern Methodist's football program for paying athletes.

Compared with serial pedophilia, what happened on the SMU campus is the equivalent of spitting on the sidewalk.

Let no one say that some good will come of these events, but the NCAA can use Penn State as a disgusting example of what can transpire when a college football program becomes omnipotent.

McQueary saw Sandusky with a boy in the football locker room shower. He passed the buck to Paterno, the most powerful man on campus. Paterno passed the buck to his boss. Even as rumors of Sandusky's alleged crimes proliferated and he was the target of a police investigation into his relationship with another boy, McQueary and Paterno did nothing while Sandusky used the football program as the candy with which to seduce children.

College football has long been a receptacle of corruption and greed. Only on a campus where the football coach is treated as part Pope and part Patton could such evil persist for so long.

The NCAA should prove that it cares about more than $50 handshakes between alumni and athletes, that it holds universities responsible for all of the ills that occur within their bloated football programs.

When the NCAA levies its harshest penalties, it cites a school's "lack of institutional control.'' There has never been a clearer case of university lacking institutional control over its football program than Penn State allowing Sandusky to bring children to the team's sidelines and showers.

The NCAA should shut down Penn State football at least until Sandusky has been tried and his victims have been compensated.

A football game in Happy Valley would remind us how willing too many people are to forgive abuses of power as long as the local team bolsters their self-esteem on Saturday afternoons.

• Like 1

They wont get the death penalty. Baylor didn't even get the death penalty when David Bliss covered up the murder of a player. I know one count of murder is vastly different from 40 counts of child molestation but the NCAA is very hesitant to hand it out at all.@

No it isn't, it's for the simple reason that murder has to have the most severe consequence of all crime or else it would be safer and less of a risk to kill the child.

I don't know where you are getting your figures from or if things are vastly different in America but over here they segregate the kiddy fiddlers from the general population so that doesn't happen. They do quite often have terrible 'accidents' though where they fall off the toilet and break their ankles and wrists. It's a fair trade as all that putting them all together does is turns it into the kiddy fucker's club and allows them to share information and build a network.

But yeah getting totally off topic.

One of the local sports radio people just asked why Sandusky never got any head coaching job offers after winning the assistant coach awards. I'm not sure if he literally meant that he didn't get any offers or if he just didn't want to leave Penn State. The radio host implied that other schools could have known of Sandusky's situation and that's why he didn't get offers. I'm leaning towards him not wanting to leave Penn State.

One of the local sports radio people just asked why Sandusky never got any head coaching job offers after winning the assistant coach awards. I'm not sure if he literally meant that he didn't get any offers or if he just didn't want to leave Penn State. The radio host implied that other schools could have known of Sandusky's situation and that's why he didn't get offers. I'm leaning towards him not wanting to leave Penn State.

Why would he want to leave the place where he can have his way with tons of young boys and never be held accountable?

No it isn't, it's for the simple reason that murder has to have the most severe consequence of all crime or else it would be safer and less of a risk to kill the child.

I don't know where you are getting your figures from or if things are vastly different in America but over here they segregate the kiddy fiddlers from the general population so that doesn't happen. They do quite often have terrible 'accidents' though where they fall off the toilet and break their ankles and wrists. It's a fair trade as all that putting them all together does is turns it into the kiddy fucker's club and allows them to share information and build a network.

They put them in protective custody, but protective custody doesn't work when those assigned to protect them make 'mistakes'.

Not that I blame them. Pedophiles are some of the lowest scum on earth. I can understand why someone would kill someone else. I can't understand why you'd rape kids. I mean, yeah, mental illness, I get it, but... does not compute.

Erm ... while our prison population here in 'Mericuh is pretty much made up of the same shit hole people as anywhere else ... there's one thing that all the criminals have in common. There is no room/place for a pedophile, not even in prison.

ABC story from 2003

2006 story of pedophile killed in state pen in Washington

another

another

The UK disembowels them

They behead them in Brazil

Or in other words ... yeah, they fucking get killed in prison guy.

• Like 1

There was speculation about that on either WFAN or 1050 ESPN Radio as well. Sandusky was only 55 when he "retired" from Penn State.

Other schools likely didn't know as much as Sandusky figured he wouldn't be able to cover it up elsewhere as easily, not to mention his network was centered around State College. Furthermore, he was the coach-in-waiting and had the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, I'm not saying other schools knew details but there probably were whispers. Heck, a coach in waiting just stepping down at the age of 55 probably raised some eyebrows around the sports world.....I just didn't watch enough College Football back then to remember if that was the case.

Edited by sahyder1

sp_0206_09_v6.jpg?width=480

"Montel, I think we're forgetting something very important in all this. Okay, sure, he touched some children, but, the man is a great singer and he has entertained us for so many years."

"Michael Jackson! All this baad-mouthin', puttin' the man down. Maybe he did touch some children now and then, but come on! It's Michael Jackson, Michael Jackson!"