General Snooker Thread

ONO

• Admin

I didn't even know we had a snooker thread >_> I'm a massive snooker fan.

At the time I was very disappointed that Ronnie was knocked out, it was him that got me interested in snooker and I always root for him even when he's being a prat, but on reflection I'm relieved because there was no chance he would have beaten Trump given both players current form.

I will say that I am glad that Trump and Robertson were knocked out. Robertson has an arrogance about him that I just do not like and Trump is still a bit wet behind the ears.

Overall it has been nice to be able to watch completely unbiased over the last few days.

I've a wedding tomorrow so I'm annoyed I won't be able to watch the final sessions live. Very inconsiderate of the groom and bride to ask me to be a groomsman >_>

• Like 1

I really hope Bingham wins. I don't know what it is but I just don't like Murphy. He's a fantastic snooker player but I just can't like him, I think it's his face, you just wouldn't get bored of slapping that perpetual smug look that he seems to have across his face

I really hope Bingham wins. I don't know what it is but I just don't like Murphy. He's a fantastic snooker player but I just can't like him, I think it's his face, you just wouldn't get bored of slapping that perpetual smug look that he seems to have across his face

I agree. I've read O'Sullivan's book and he isn't keen on him either, but he doesn't go into much detail as to why. Murphy comes across as a smug prick. I'm rooting for Bingham, too.

Murphy is actually a really nice bloke. I'm not a big snooker fan but they had some qualifiers close to me about 10 years ago and we met him. Was really friendly, came over and spoke to us after his match for about 15 minutes.

I had an irrational dislike for Murphy for years, but he's always seemed like a friendly person. I'll be rooting for Bingham, but I actually wouldn't mind a Murphy victory. As for O'Sullivan's comments, it's hard to take them seriously because Ronnie seems to have harsh words for every other person on the snooker tour, which is rich when he comes across as the biggest prick in the game himself.

Great final. The first time I saw Bingham was in 2000, when he was standing next to Stephen Hendry at the World Championship Draw on the BBC. He was a first-time qualifier who expressed his desire to be drawn against Stephen, and, lo and behold, he got his wish. Against the odds, he pulled off a victory, and though I was sad that he'd beaten my favourite player, I was impressed by the way he played on such a big occasion. Since then, I've always seen him as a potentially dangerous player who was probably never likely to threaten the final stages of major tournaments, especially not in the marathon format played at The Crucible. Now he's World Champion. Never thought I'd see the day. What a feel-good story.

• 6 months later...

The 7th frame in the Murphy/Wollaston was fantastic, momentum flipping backwards and forwards resulting in Murphy desperately trying to not pot the pink hanging over the pocket multiple times to get a snooker behind the black.

• 4 months later...
  • Admin

Defending champion Stuart Bingham will face a tough first round tie against Ali Carter in the 2016 World Championship.

Bingham, 39, won his first world title in 2015 after beating Shaun Murphy, who comes up against Anthony McGill.

Five-time world champion Ronnie O'Sullivan plays Dave Gilbert, world number one Mark Selby plays Robert Milkins and Judd Trump comes up against Liang Wenbo.

Bingham begins his campaign at 10:00 BST on Saturday, playing to a conclusion from 19:00 on the same day.

The draw in full:

Mark Allen v Mitchell Mann
Stephen Maguire v Alan McManus
Mark Williams v Graeme Dott
Barry Hawkins v Zhang Anda
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Dave Gilbert
Mark Selby v Robert Milkins
Martin Gould v Ding Junhui
Ricky Walden v Robbie Williams
Shaun Murphy v Anthony McGill
John Higgins v Ryan Day
Stuart Bingham v Ali Carter
Neil Robertson v Michael Holt
Joe Perry v Kyren Wilson
Marco Fu v Peter Ebdon
Michael White v Sam Baird
Judd Trump v Liang Wenbo

Stuart Bingham is currently 4-1 down to Ali Carter and potting nothing. Curse of the Crucible looking like it may claim an early victim this year.

Also Marco Fu is 5-1 up against Peter "GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!!" Ebdon and has just scored his 400th century break, quickly followed by his 401st

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
On 25 April 2016 at 23:52, Chris2K said:

I'm sure Ronnie's ready to announce his retirement because he's bored and everything's rubbish.

Actually on this occasion he's not.

He's already said he'll be back next year, and any post-match interviews I've read are surprisingly upbeat considering the manner of his defeat.