Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

It's a pretty great story, but the gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. If you've never played any of the Bioshock games, I'd probably say play the first one and see how you like, then play Infinite.

If say not that, because I was not overly impressed by the first at all and thought it was very over rated. I found infinite to be one of the best games I've played in years though!

Id say not that, because I was not overly impressed by the first at all and thought it was very over rated. I found infinite to be one of the best games I've played in years though!

I think I'd recommend the first game over Infinite because I prefer its story and characters, but I'd definitely urge you to give Infinite a try. I don't think the story is particularly great in and of itself, but it's told very effectively and in a way that doesn't make frequent interruptions to the gameplay. The shooting mechanics are nothing special, but as someone who isn't much of a stickler for that kind of genre, I was particularly bothered, much like how I didn't mind the fact that Mass Effect's third-person shooting left a bit to be desired. It all depends on how much of a deal-breaker things like AI behaviour and solid gunplay are to you, really.

I really don't understand that claim of "best game of the year" for Infinite because whilst the story was brilliant, the actual gameplay was the most cookie cutter FPS experience I've had in years. If I hadn't just watched my girlfriend play the final stretch of the game, I don't think I'd ever have finished it, because it was so boring to actually play.

The majority of FPS are all the same or very similar in gameplay terms anyway. Infinite is way more about the story than running around shooting guys.

But yeah, I'm very much a plays games for the story kinda guy so I guess if you're not so interested in the story it's not so 'must play'

I dunno, I don't disagree that it's a strong story, but at the end of the day it's a game too. There's definitely a discussion to be had on what quantifies something as a game rather than an interactive story (here's looking at you, Dear Esther)... and I wouldn't even say Bioshock Infinite isn't a game, but it really doesn't put any focus on gameplay. Which is a shame, the story they told uses a medium that can use interaction to really improve a story and make it way more immersive. I guess it's just not a very interesting game, even if it's a fantastic story.

Compare it to something like Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons... or Metal Gear Solid 4, which I'd argue is one of the greatest examples of modern games using actual gameplay to tell a story. There's so many fantastic moments in it, like the final battle with Ocelot being a weird fighting game using the CQC engine. Or the long corridor, where you're desperately crawling through the microwave emitter to try and save the day. The way you play the story out in that is great, moments like those wouldn't have anywhere near the same level of punch if they weren't controlled by you.

And I think that's why I really don't rate Infinite as much of a great game - they built a game around a story, rather than trying to tell the story through the actual game.

Don't get me wrong, story is one of the most important aspects of a game to me, but if you don't accompany it with a game worth playing, it just makes all the bits in between the cut scenes feel like a drag.

I don't know where the "Bioshock is generic" argument comes from, when I tend to look more towards games like COD or Battlefield when I think about a cookie cutter, by the numbers FPS.

The plasmids/vigors add an element that most shooters don't have, the different ammo types for the weapons are a nice touch and the gears allow you to compliment your play style. The only place where I see story getting in the way of gameplay is how accessible Bioshock wants to be - so by playing it from the default settings you have an aim assist that is much more effective than other games (mostly due, I think, to the game's art style and field of vision - everything is much more vibrant and a bit larger), health that is much more forgiving and so on and so forth.

That is essentially because - yeah - the developers want you to see the story and they want to make all forms of play through possible... so there are some concessions made to make sure that everything balances the way that it is supposed to. That could turn some people off, I suppose. As well, the game makes it quite easy for you to just blast through with guns if you want - rarely using your vigors, if you're playing on normal and below that is (at least in my experience) I had a much better time playing Infinite with 1999 mode.

And Infinite has its moments that compare to the MGS examples given by TKz I believe - but since it's not a third person game or as linear as Metal Gear - they're a little bit different. I'd rate moments such as finding the guitar and having the duet happen right up there with some of the scenes from MGS IV, as well as exploring and finding bits of information or the 'future songs' that you'll see in Infinite as well. They're heavily story based, yes - but I feel like I'm there just the same as any other game. The camera being stuck in the first person perspective can be limiting - absolutely. But I don't think its as big of a hindrance as would be let on.

The combat isn't that fun in the Bioshock games IMO. I also think the combat controls somehow manage to feel too light and floaty whilst at the same time feeling clunky and robotic. Almost impressive.

But as games, great games they are indeed.

How easy is it to purchase digital copies of games from the American Amazon site?

You need a credit card on your amazon account and switch the address to a American one. Otherwise its just like buying anything else. These seems to be no geoblocking on games, even PSN cash is available ect.

How easy is it to purchase digital copies of games from the American Amazon site?

You need a credit card on your amazon account and switch the address to a American one. Otherwise its just like buying anything else. These seems to be no geoblocking on games, even PSN cash is available ect.

Any American address?

Any American address?

I just went to an American real estate website and chose an address from there. Worked for me.