Steam/PC Mega Thread

RoHitman Reigns

2 hours ago, MDK said:

GRID 2 is free on HumbleBundle at the moment. Its pretty good especially for free.

As a racing game 'elitist' I always have to preface it that it's not a great sim, and nigh on unplayable in any decent way with a wheel. But I also love to play it from time to time and it's a fun arcade style racing title with a lot of different cars and racing styles, from (downhill-)drifting to track racing and street racing.

It's a load of fun, so it's definitely a get if you want an older but still enjoyable racing title you can play with a gamepad.

6 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

As a racing game 'elitist' I always have to preface it that it's not a great sim, and nigh on unplayable in any decent way with a wheel. But I also love to play it from time to time and it's a fun arcade style racing title with a lot of different cars and racing styles, from (downhill-)drifting to track racing and street racing.

It's a load of fun, so it's definitely a get if you want an older but still enjoyable racing title you can play with a gamepad.

Oh yeah it is completely arcade but it is a hell of a lot of fun

5 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Is this the part where I ask for decent gamepad settings for Assetto Corsa? :shifty:
Also, no Silverstone :w00t:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dickon Manwoody said:

Is this the part where I ask for decent gamepad settings for Assetto Corsa? :shifty:
Also, no Silverstone :w00t:

I mean if you're serious, I can get you one. I actually am in a league where a few guys are setting obscene times with just a gamepad.

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

I mean if you're serious, I can get you one. I actually am in a league where a few guys are setting obscene times with just a gamepad.

Serious competition, nah. Gonna get AC once I upgrade my laptop and using it for literally shits and giggles.

1 minute ago, Dickon Manwoody said:

Mod scene's pretty fecking good.

But the actual base game? I am a casual racing game fan but if I find one I like, I sink a lot of hours into it.

22 hours ago, MDK said:

But the actual base game? I am a casual racing game fan but if I find one I like, I sink a lot of hours into it.

These cars and tracks are in the base of AC

224a659add8275825f0dae8fa5813d4f.png

c14f58ccedfb8c4385249aba4407d5da.png

Assetto Corsa and its DLC does pretty regularly go on sale, which can net you up to 75% savings on the packs.

And there is an absolute metric fucktonne of DLC of every possible variety, highly accurate representations of cars/tracks that rival the developer's own creations, to stuff like Reliant Robin's, RV's, and the car from the Flintstones.

Also there are a lot of different guides out there to get gamepads to work, and you can get really consistent if you drive enough with only gamepad and maybe one or two aids turned up to help with smoother cornering inputs.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that the 'Ultimate Edition' has every single piece of DLC, so if you get that one you'll be completely set. Since the game is no longer being developed (due to Kunos focusing on the GT3 based Competizione now)

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RPS said:

My better half is getting into RTS games. Outside Warcraft and Starcraft, what should I tell him to play.

Age of Empires is a pretty classic RTS series, Company of Heroes and it's sequel are very well done ww2 RTS games that are a lot of fun. I've spent a ton of time with both.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RPS said:

My better half is getting into RTS games. Outside Warcraft and Starcraft, what should I tell him to play.

If you never want to see him again get CKII

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

The Total War games have a good mix of turn-based and real-time strategy. I'd say the best ones are Rome, Medieval 2, Napoleon and Shogun 2.

I feel Rome 2 gets a bad rep, it's somehow been made pretty good in all the years since release. It might not be as legendary as RTW1 and MTW2, but it's definitely the easiest title to actually jump into as it has a lot of quality of life features, most notable ones being able to recruit in-state rather than needing a stack in a city and having to move them all around the world just to get them into a battle, or stacks being reinforced over time.

Also, Warhammer Total War is quite good if they want to play with high fantasy instead.

52 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

I feel Rome 2 gets a bad rep, it's somehow been made pretty good in all the years since release. It might not be as legendary as RTW1 and MTW2, but it's definitely the easiest title to actually jump into as it has a lot of quality of life features, most notable ones being able to recruit in-state rather than needing a stack in a city and having to move them all around the world just to get them into a battle, or stacks being reinforced over time.

Also, Warhammer Total War is quite good if they want to play with high fantasy instead.

The biggest issue, for me, with RTW2 was the lack of character development - something that started with Shogun 2, but definitely further removed in RTW2. I missed the vices and virtues system.