General Gaming Thread

TKz

Just started the inFamous trilogy last night. First run through is on the Good side.  Thought it was gonna be a grindy game. Though quite repetitive, it is a sandbox game and I spent about 4 hours going around doing the fist maps "collectibles (Except shards because screw that too many, cant keep track). I'm liking it so far. Might just do the side missions and Main storyline (heard it's only about 20hrs or so) and then move onto inFamous 2 and Second Son before going back to do the Evil side.

Also installing The Talos Principle because I haven't played a puzzle game in a while.

Edited by Rocky

I've been trying to blitz through Metal Gear Solid V, as I'm around the 40% complete mark, but want to get it out of the way before I eventually pick up Xenoblade, as if the Wii game was anything to go by, I'm going to sink 100+ hours into that. I realised I've probably been overdoing it when I started seeing shipping containers and thinking, "should probably go attach a balloon to that". It also made me realise how strangely often I see shipping containers in my day-to-day life.

I had the same thing when I'd been playing Breath Of The Wild all the time...on my way to work I walk past this little bit of woodland that's used for Forest School, and there's a circle of upturned logs, with one removed and lying on its side nearby; every time I walked past that for a month I thought, "that'll get me a Korok Seed".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skummy said:

want to get it out of the way before I eventually pick up Xenoblade

Scratch that, I just saw that there's a new Monster Hunter out for PS4 at the end of this month!

7 hours ago, Skummy said:

I've been trying to blitz through Metal Gear Solid V, as I'm around the 40% complete mark, but want to get it out of the way before I eventually pick up Xenoblade, as if the Wii game was anything to go by, I'm going to sink 100+ hours into that. I realised I've probably been overdoing it when I started seeing shipping containers and thinking, "should probably go attach a balloon to that". It also made me realise how strangely often I see shipping containers in my day-to-day life.

I had the same thing when I'd been playing Breath Of The Wild all the time...on my way to work I walk past this little bit of woodland that's used for Forest School, and there's a circle of upturned logs, with one removed and lying on its side nearby; every time I walked past that for a month I thought, "that'll get me a Korok Seed".

Do you know if you need to play the first one before the second? I've heard good things about Xenoblade 2, and I'm always looking at games to add to my 'To Get' pile for the Switch (right now: Disgaea 5, I Am Setsuna, and Lost Sphear which is coming out soon)

Also! Project Octopath. I tried the demo, that thing was awesome. 

8 hours ago, Skummy said:

I realised I've probably been overdoing it when I started seeing shipping containers and thinking, "should probably go attach a balloon to that". It also made me realise how strangely often I see shipping containers in my day-to-day life.

I had the very same experience. Luckily, it never extended to the animals I sometimes pass.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ruki said:

Do you know if you need to play the first one before the second? I've heard good things about Xenoblade 2, and I'm always looking at games to add to my 'To Get' pile for the Switch (right now: Disgaea 5, I Am Setsuna, and Lost Sphear which is coming out soon)

Also! Project Octopath. I tried the demo, that thing was awesome. 

I need to give Octopath a proper go, too - played the female story on the demo and was taken aback by how mature it was, but generally seemed great. I'm just reluctant to spend too much money on RPGs when I know chances are they'll sit there unplayed.

As for Xenoblade, I would say no, you don't have to play the first Xenoblade Chronicles. Think of it like the Final Fantasy franchise; there are similar concepts and themes, some of the same monsters and creatures will pop up, and there are references to earlier games in the series, but they function as standalone stories. Apparently the ending of Chronicles 2 makes more sense if you've played the first game, but I don't know how it ends, so don't know if that's "it'll make no sense if you haven't played the original" or more of just an easter egg or reference.

• Like 1

I also only did the female path in Octopath. Didn't want to spoil too much of the story. But like you said, very mature! Also, the gameplay was pretty top notch from a turn based RPG....and I can't wait to see the different types of abilities each character will get. Although, man, the boss fight kicked my ass hard.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:12, The Chiksrara Special said:

So mean :(  The real answer though is I was put on trial in the Nazi court and I can't escape

I fucking hated that one. I had to lower the game to the absolute easiest difficulty to get past it, it's just horribly, horribly designed.

While playing Cuphead I discovered I'm real bad at video games anymore. My hand eye coordination has atrophied and I can only play PC games (like WoW) and Minecraft and be any good. Speaking of Minecraft, bought it for a third system.. I always get sucked into it.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the game, but at the same time I'm not holding my breath for something amazing.

One thing that new 'sim' games seem to lack is any sort of simulation in making things hard for the player. Where anything beyond the early game is you watching your coffers explode with only marginal amounts of real skill being used.

It does seem to have the silly zany charm of the original, so that brings me hope.

Edited by Jasonmufc

On 15/01/2018 at 09:29, Benji said:

Completed Fallout 4 the week it came out, but have gone back to it to do the DLC. Far Harbor DLC was fun, but the Nuka World stuff is a bit tiresome. Doesn't feel so much like DLC, so much as a map extension. Not a whole ton of depth.

Finished last night. Super let down by Nuka World. No depth, no interesting characters. Just a bunch of bullshit fetch quests and shooting nameless goons. Shame because the actual map is really cool.

16 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Remember how we talked about the new hospital tycoon game that was straight-faced and lacking in Theme Hospital-esque silliness? This one's aiming to do it the right way.

Oh I am so ready for this. Lost it at "light headedness" with a bulb head :lol:

Playing Doki Doki Literature Club.

Spoiler

Ohhh buddy, the tone and plot shift is in full effect. First crippling depression in one friend and now Yuri is into big creepy knifes and consuming my blood.

Edit:

Oh and now she's trying to hide her arms from me.

I think I have a guess what's going on here.

Edit Edit:

2018-01-22 03_07_08-Doki Doki Literature Club!.png

Oh, those are not normal love eyes. Oh.

Edit edit edit:

What the fuck even is this game?

• Like 1